What bourbons are available in half-pint (200ml)?

darkluna
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm curious what current bourbons are available in half-pint (200ml) bottles. Any info or bottle shots you can post would be appreciated. Also curious if the bottle is glass or plastic.

Thanks,

If by "available" you mean "available from the manufacturer," most "standard" products are available in the full range of sizes, i.e., 50 ml, 200 ml, 375 ml, 750 ml, 1 L and 1.75 L. However, very few retailers will carry any brand in the full range, and virtually none carry every size in every brand that's available.

The alternative would be super-premium brands, which generally are available only in the 750 ml size. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but most spirits products are available either in the full range or in just the 750 ml. There's not much in between. An exception would be the 50 ml, the bulk of which are sold for airline and similar use. A lot of bottom shelf brands don't bother making a 50 ml.

As for glass versus plastic, I don't think I've ever seen a PET (i.e., plastic) 200 ml.

Attached is a typical "family" shot, for reference.

post-5-14489812815627_thumb.jpg

I have the Beam Small batch in 50 ml, and WT RB as well; haven't seen any more "premium" though. I do have a plastic 200 bottle of Dickel 12; don't recall seeing another, but they're often behind the counter and I don't get good look.

Bob

A-line (200 ml) runs every night without a beat. We run lots of bourbon there but not every brand, Evan Williams, Virgin Bourbon, Heaven Hill, Chapin & Gore, M & M, Kentucky Gold, 1492, Dowling, Don and Ben's (to name a few :grin: ) lots of small orders are ran there. Lots of vodka, and blends are ran there too.

We will install a new line (200 plastic) at Heaven Hill. The first of three new lines soon to be built. The focus, will switch from glass to plastic in this size.

Bettye Jo

I'm curious what current bourbons are available in half-pint (200ml) bottles. Any info or bottle shots you can post would be appreciated. Also curious if the bottle is glass or plastic.

Thanks,

Just picked up a 200 ml. of Jack to add to a bottle 3/4 full of Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

The object was to drop the proof to about 90 and improve the taste. The Single Barrel seemed a bit dull on its own and the vatting really improved it.

We get also in our market a 375 ml. of Woodford.

Gary

New brands tend to start out at 750 ml only then, if they catch on, they go to the full range. My point was that it's usually all or nothing. If they make anything other than a 750 ml, they usually make the whole range, though sometimes not a 50 ml because -- as I'm sure Bettye Jo can tell you -- 50 ml lines can be really quirky and if there's not an airline-type market for a brand, there's not much point to making a 50 ml. Whether they are made and whether you can find them are two different things.

When metric first came in, the two smaller sizes were 250 ml and 500 ml, which were actually closer to the old half-pint and pint, but since they were slightly larger they were more expensive, and the customer for those sizes tends to be extremely price conscious. So, the producers petitioned the feds to change it to 200 ml and 375 ml, which everyone seems to be happy with, even though 375 ml is almost 100 ml short of a pint.

I think the oddest brand I have ever seen in the 200ml size was a bottle of Old Charter 12yr. I saw at a store in Tennessee. I wouldn't have thought they would produce this brand in this size. Being that I am an avid collector of liquor minis, I am always on the lookout for ones that are new or discontinued and preferably glass. Some of the older JD and Ancient Age minis are quite collectible/scarce. I have seen 2 early 80's Ancient Ancient Age minis on ebay and now own them both. They are quite scarce, discontinued and highly sought after!

Thomas

I find this interesting. Jack Daniel's will be bringing out a redesigned bottle and label for Gentleman Jack in March. The announcement says it will be available in 1.75 liter, 1 liter, 750 ml, 375 ml and 50 ml, i.e., a full range except 200 ml.

I have asked them why no 200 ml and will let you know the answer when I get it.

Gentlemans Jack seems to get its package changed quite a bit. They have already had 2 different shaped bottles and a least 3 different labels since its release. Sometimes I think they change labels to give sales a boost. There are many collectors of JD merchandise and some collect every variation of a bottle. In the 20+ years of collecting minis, I have seen dozens of different label and bottle variations of the JD black label, not to mention the other offerings within the brand!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Darkluna, No matter what current bottlings are made in 200ml sizes, you will have a hit or miss chance of finding them at a random store. Store operators make the decision to stock a certain product and in what ever size they want. Also, if a product doesn't sell quickly then that size will be around for a long time. Producers also change their minds to continue certain sizes. Stores that are in a chain sometimes consolidate thier invintories. It's best to inquire with the manager. If there is a certain brand you are looking for please be specific. I'll be able to give you some info from Texas.

I have several 1/2 pint bourbons and we have many available here in Louisville. Some plastic, some glass. Kentucky Tavern I have is plastic. Makes a great flask when it's empty. Won't break in your pocket.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.