Difference between Tanqueray and Tanqueray 10

Edward_call_me_Ed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I imagine the answer to this will be the same as the one Chuck gave in the thread on Bombay Gin.

I would like to know people's opinions of the Tanquerays. Is the T 10 really better than the regular, which is pretty darn good. I prefer it to Bombay Sapphire, I think. I didn't replace the Sapphire I had, well, I did, but with Tanqueray. I am on my third bottle of that.

Anyway, what do people think?

Ed

Personally, Tanqueray is the reason I thought I hated gin for so long. T10 is a different animal all together. I suspect the spice recipe is completely different, but that's just a guess.

Personally, Tanqueray is the reason I thought I hated gin for so long. T10 is a different animal all together. I suspect the spice recipe is completely different, but that's just a guess.

Hmm. That's interesting. Doesn't tell me whether I will like the Tanqueray 10 or not, but it certainly is interesting.

Ed

Tanqueray has 10 stills. The No. 10 Still is very small and has a unique shape. They make Tan 10 in this still and the effects of the small still supposedly make for a crisper gin. The stills shape captures the botanicals flavor more and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.

Tanqueray has 10 stills. The No. 10 Still is very small and has a unique shape. They make Tan 10 in this still and the effects of the small still supposedly make for a crisper gin. The stills shape captures the botanicals flavor more and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.

Same botanicals?

Ed

I always used to enjoy the standard Tanqueray, but I've never tried the Ten. For the past ten years or so, I've stuck to Bombay and Beefeater.

Tim

I mainly drink my gin with tonic water (1 part gin to 1 part tonic) so I use the regular Tanqueray. I have a bottle of T10 and it is a better tasting gin but for mixing with tonic the regular T is just as good.

Again, IMO, T10 is a very nice gin, WAY better than regular T. Regular T is nothing like T10 on any level. Bombay is closer to Bombay Sapphire than T10 is to T.

I noticed at the duty free stores to and from Windsor, Ontario, Canada that the T 10 is becoming a regular brand at a good price and in liters to boot!

Thomas

Originally Posted by Str8RYE:

"... and don't forget that Tan 10 is 94.6 Proof. If you like gin, IMHO Tan 10 is one of the best gin's out there. High proof and wonderful flavor.

There is a survey of selected imported and artisan American gins in the current Imbibe, a cool new magazine on drinks of various kinds including fine coffees published out of Portland, OR.

None of the gins is a Tanqueray, though.

They gave 5 stars to Old Raj Dry Gin (Scots-made) but 4 1/2 to Aviation, a Dutch genever-style gin from Portland - see www.medoyeff.com - and 5 again to Bluecoat Gin from Philly - www.bluecoatgin.com

Excellent article on rye whiskeys (mention is made of a Black Maple Hill 23 year old, not just the 18 - was that mentioned here?) and the corn and other young whiskies made by Belmont Farms in Virginia.

The magazine has a fresh contemporary look and a good approach, it should do well.

Gary

I have had the Old Raj gin (it's pricey for gin) but well worth it if you are a gin drinker. My favorite to date.

A good way to think about gin is as the original flavored vodka. The flavors come from the infusion of herbs and spices into a neutral spirit. The signature spice is juniper berry, but beyond that the possibilities are endless.

That's true. At the same time, I find gin a little, well, anodyne.

I made a martini tonight with Beefeater and a dash Martini vermouth and bitters.

As good as it was, straight whiskey or (as will appear) straight genever gin is (to my taste) just so much better.

The martini was just too light. The flavors (juniper, orange, cinnamon, etc.) sit on the top but don't really inform the drink...

I discarded most of it and had a shot of blended Dutch and Belgian genevers I made that I keep in the ice box. This was so much better. Some of the components are made from neutral, flavored spirit but others are low proof, old style rye-based genever, essentially a kind of whiskey white dog. That's a drink.

Gary

Wow,

To me, I don't care for standard Tanq at all. It seems very toxic. I like Bombay Sapphire, but T10 is the best gin I've had. It has a very smooth flavor, but a complexity that the Sapphire doesn't have, and doesn't have the chemical dump flavor I get with standard Tanq.

So I would say T10 is to Tanq as Blanton's is to Jim Beam White...

Joel

Wow,

To me, I don't care for standard Tanq at all. It seems very toxic. I like Bombay Sapphire, but T10 is the best gin I've had. It has a very smooth flavor, but a complexity that the Sapphire doesn't have, and doesn't have the chemical dump flavor I get with standard Tanq.

So I would say T10 is to Tanq as Blanton's is to Jim Beam White...

Joel

Joel, that is pretty high praise for the T 10!

I don't get chemical dump at all, mostly juniper, with some other flavors in the background that balance it without me being able to identify them. I haven't drunk much of it straight. I make martinis with it and I like them very much. I didn't like the martinis I made with Beef-eater Very Dry Gin or Sapphire as much. I did drink some of the Sapphire straight. I don't remember it very well, but think I liked that better than Tanqueray on its own.

This thread has convinced me that I need to get both the T 10 and another bottle of Sapphire.

Ed

I've had the T10 (straight) and liked it. Had a few other gins and was not impressed. I really am a whisk(e)y/tequila fan...

To me, the T10 tastes especially citrusy compared to other gins, including standard Tanqueray, so it seems especially good in a martini with a twist. I like Junipero better if I am looking for a more herbal/juniper taste, etc.

I far prefer T-10 to regular Tanqueray, at least for martinis. I like a gutsy, in-your-face gin for martinis, one that will hold up to a bit of vermouth.

My very favorite gin is Anchor Distillery's Junipero, available only in California as far as I know. It is even bolder than T-10, but bother are well balanced and complex.

As much as I think they have a similar style, I remember tasting the two of them blind a few years ago and being surprised how different they were from one another. Can't remember how, though. I'll have to try that again.

Last evening we went out to dinner with friends and I saw a gin I'd heard about, Hendrick's. This Scottish gin is made with rose and cucumber as well as the usual juniper and other botanicals. I ordered a martini made with it, and while it was interesting, I don't think I'll bother again. A little too soft and perfumey.

There is a review of it here.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

You know, I haven't quite made up my mind yet, but after about two thirds of a bottle of Tanqueray 10 and a recent visit to the standard Tanqueray I have open, I think I like the standard better. The T 10 seems somehow un-gin-like, almost like a gin based liqueur. Oddly, I think the T 10 is 'better' in some sense, but when I want gin I want something like the standard Tanqueray.

In martini's I like the Tanqueray better. I like a dash of orange bitters in mine, a dribble of Noilly Pratt and swirl with an ice cube or two. No olive. I know that the T 10 has an orange note but I prefer the bitters.

I still have to pick up a bottle of Bombay Sapphire.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.