Convincing Amalegen to Drink Bourbon Neat

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Under the "Favorite Bourbon" topic, Amalegen opined that, "when drinking anything neat, I can think of nothing better than a single malt scotch." Since Amalegen also wrote that he or she, "basically joined to learn and enjoy," let us extol to Amalegen in that spirit the virtues of bourbon.

To start the ball rolling, I would encourage Amalegen simply to enlarge his whiskey-enjoyment experience. It's not an either/or proposition. You should be no more reluctant to try a bourbon neat than you would be to sample an unfamiliar malt.

The best bourbons reward the careful taster at least as much as do the best scotches. The experience is simply different. The person who is used to sipping a single malt neat might find a bourbon served the same way initially overwelming.

I encourage dillution. Not too much, since you are already a whiskey drinker, but enough to take the edge off. I suggest a 4:1 whiskey/water ratio to start.

I also suggest trying this with one of the top bourbons, such as Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, Woodford Reserve or Evan Williams Single Barrel. You will be pleasantly surprised to note that these fine spirits, the best of the bourbons, cost less than many mediocre malts.

Anyone else want to exercise their powers of persuasion.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Excellent, just the kind of reply I was hoping for., since cruuently my knowlege of bourbon, consisted at a leve of drinking early times with lowclorie TAB. I jestifully refer to as a Tabet.

thaks

Damn Gene, I'd completely forgotten that Tab ever existed!

My first experiences with bourbon were invariably associated with 7-up. Of course, back then I though a 7 and 7 was bourbon and 7-up. I never considered consuming bourbon neat .. that act was clearly for madmen.

Over the past five years or so I've taken to drinking my bourbon neat, and if I do mix, it's only with ice. Chuck's suggestion to use spring water is a good one however, and I heartily recommend the practice, particularly for the higher proof bottlings.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tabet? Good, you've a sense of humor. Early Times may be marketed as a bourbon where you live,but over here it is marketed as "Old Style Kentucky Whiskey". Do follow Chuck's suggestion and buy yourself some really good bourbon. One brand you may be able to both find and afford is Knob Creek. Try that, and if you have to just go ahead and toss it in the Tab. After a few drinks go ahead and take a big ol' snort right out of the bottle. Then take off your pants and hop in bed with your favorite mattress kitten. You'll never drink scotch again!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

To me Early Times ranks as one of the worst American Whiskeys around. My recollection is that it is way too thin and tastes "young".

Anyway, I started out as a bourbon-and-coke drinker. Eventually I started drinking good bourbon on the rocks with a splash of Coke, then just bourbon on the rocks, and now bourbon with maybe just a tiny splash of water. So pick out a good bourbon and gradually back off the Coke. Linn's Knob Creek suggestion is an excellent one. Some other low cost alternatives would be Old Forester, Jim Beam Black, Elijah Craig 12 y.o. (not a personal favorite, but a lot of folks like it) and, for a TN whiskey alternative, George Dickel No. 12.

Cheers,

JR

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Said JR, "To me Early Times ranks as one of the worst American Whiskeys around"

Well, I guess you haven't tried Old Crow, have you? smile.gif

I imagine Bailey makes a better-tasting product than that one.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Ha, Ha, your right, TAB is a thing of the past. Although, at the time, the TABET did exist, but I was using it, humorously to express my lack of knowlegde of bourbons. Im, glad the humor was reconized.(hic) Im really excited with the replys nad the suggested bourbon's to try. The sad fact, is that my package store just dosent carry a lot of the suggestions. I had to itterally beat them on the head to keep an adequate supply of my favorite single malt. Seems we Arkies down here, are not really fussy enough, a bottle of 10 year Old Charter is considered a special treat.

I'll keep looking......

God Bless all,

and an old scotish toast Im told: "May you be in heaven, 5 minutes before the devil knows you dead."

I discovered "quality bourbon" (call it what you will) almost exactly three years ago. Little did I know that the brands I brought home, Woodford Reserve and Booker´s represented the opposite poles in this particular world. Even though it was love at first taste it didn´t mean that I gave up on other spirits. I still have a soft spot for the heavier whiskies from western Scotland, especially the peaty, tarry single malts from the Isle of Islay.

However, as the years have gone by, I have gradually found myself more and more entangled in the bourbon world. The scarcity of american whiskey in Sweden means that this have been a chore - forcing me to mail-order from abroad.

Anyway, leaving the matter of colour aside (I seldom have access to all-white rooms) and concentrating on nose, taste and finish, the final score ends up 2-1 in bourbon´s favour.

Only in the nosing department do I feel that single malt scotch has the upper hand. There are many bourbons that I simply love to taste but where the boquet is somewhat nondescript. Adding to that, I have encountered many single malts that I care very little for in the tasting department but which are blessed with magical scents.

But for taste and (especially) finish bourbon rules, if not supreme then at least with a clear margin. All in my humble opinion, of course.

Best wishes,

H.B.

Okay, surely you can get Old Forester. It is one of the most standard of standard brands and it is a very good tasting bourbon, to boot. Not expensive, either.

I prefer the 100 proof, but the 86 proof is just about as good.

Cheers, Tim

Well said, Hedmans. I, too, still enjoy other spirits, very much.

Some of my favorite non-bourbons are, in no particular order:

Remy Martin XO and VSOP cognacs

Grand Marnier 150th Anniversary, or whatever they call it

Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy (which is actually aged rum)

Johnnie Walker Black Label scotch

Most good gins (e.g., Beefeater, Bombay, etc)

Lord knows what else. But, I am almost exclusively into good bourbons, now, myself.

Thanks and "Cheers", Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tim,

I agree with you and Hedmans. To LIKE only one product would be very one diminsional but I do prefer bourbon in most cases. That does not stop me from drinking other products from time to time. I do tend to steer away from any blend (American, Canadian or Scotch) because the purpose of blending in most cases is to make the product as un-offensive as can be to the most people and that usually means bland.

Bourbon, In my opinion, is a closer comparison to a cognac than a Scotch. Treat it in the same way you would a brandy when you drink it straight and you will have a good experience.

Mike Veach

Or try some Old Granddad Bottled in Bond - avoid the 86 or 114 proof versions, just get the 100 proof. You'll get a taste of smooth old-fashioned bourbon that will make you want to kiss the dirt of your homeland.

Ralph Wilps

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

JR wrote, "... I thought Old Crow was camping fuel. "

Hmmmm, now THERE's an idea. So THAT's why there're no mosquitos in your camp!

Amalegen, back in the medieval days of this forum there once dwealt a legendary figure by the name of Mark Mason, who also hailed from Arkansas (Eldorado, in the southern part of the state). Mark would head off into the hills and locate tiny communities where everyone looked like everyone else and in those places he'd find liquor stores where you DIDN'T want to be after dark. And from those liquor stores, Mark did bring home many a fine, rare, and wonderful bottle of bourbon (some of which we shared). In fact, he had more luck in Arkansas than in most other states. So don't despair; there's some good stuff in Arkansas if you look hard enough.

In fact, the bottle of REAL Old Crow (circa 1971) in our collection was one that Mark brought us. And John, it's every bit as good as the current model is bad.

=John=

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey>http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike just like the pop group 'Tears For Fears'you appear to be sowing the seeds of political correctness. Is it your contention that in order to be 'well rounded connoisieurs' we must like all whiskies? Or perhaps we must like some other spirit.

What if we like Fender and Rickenbacher bass guitars? What if we like Corvettes? What if we like large breasted German girls? And Oh Hell what if we would rather have a beer than a scotch?! Are all of us "one dimensional"?

For all of us on the forum that simply do not like scotch - We didn't invent it, we don't distil it, we don't buy it or drink it. This ain't scotch.com or the domain of politically correct whiskey world.

This is StraightBourbon.com Stop trying to put people down. Go back to doing what you do best. You're not known as 'Bourbon Booster Veach' for nothing. That's the hat you wear best.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Vicky,

Let me start this post by reminding you of your promise to slap Linn for me when he is being annoying. Start slapping now because I am annoyed.

Linn,

I have never said that I did not like other products. If you bother to read my post you will notice that I say that everybody should Like other products. I happen to know that you LIKE other products. As a matter of fact one of the products that I Like quite well, even better than some bourbons such as Buffalo Trace, is the peach brandy you had in Bardstown and I know that you like it as well. I also know you like beer. You rather enjoyed the Pipkin Bourbon Barrel Stout that I brought to Bardstown. I am sure that there other products that you will Like as well as bourbon. Does that make you a political correct hack as well?

As far as Scotch, I don't care for blended Scotch, but I do like some Single Malts. I would rather have a Talisker than a Buffalo Trace or Basil Hayden. I also enjoy Irish whiskey every now and then as well as a flavorful gin and I will not turn down a good cognac. I have aged rums that I thought were quite good but I am not fond of white rum. I am not educated in the finer Tequilas but I keep hoping Greg and Jo will come to Louisville a correct that lack of education one day. I prefer bourbon in most cases, but I do like other products and I will repeat what I said earlier, To like only one product is one diminsional. Everybody should try other products and I am sure they will like quite a few and they will be better off for the experience.

Mike Veach

Wait a sec guys. I've just realized I'm not Shallow Hal. I'm three dimensional.

I like bourbon.

I like large German breasts.

I like Mike's Pipkin Stout. (Please bring more next year!)

Now, are there any German women in Kentucky?

Cheers,

Omar

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mike we are actually in agreement here. I do like other spirits, only I prefer to distil them myself.

In another post you were coming off a bit stuffy and a tad elietist. I know for a fact that you aren't either of those things, but the general reader doesn't know that. I jumped in to alleviate that misconception.

In this case you were coming off just a might too preachy. I just thought I'd comment upon your sermon. That's all.

While you were in the throes of the spirit it seems that you inadvertantly mislaid your hat. I was only trying to help you find it. And this is the thanks I get!

I've checked my calendar and you'll be happy to know that Vickie has me down to be pistol whipped tomorrow morning.... by a big breasted German girl!

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Omar - but of course there are German girls in Kentucky! Where do you think the Beams came from? Ahhh...Beam Bourbon AND Beam Women! It's HEAVEN!

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yes, Ive seen Old granddad, I dont now why, but browsing a package store, as one might do in a WAL Mart, makes me rather uncomfortable. I suspect, it is because liquor stores are notorious for being held up, and browsing may give the appearance of a robber waiting for the right time. anywayenough of that. Old forester or granddad will be my next purchase. BTW, were all multi-disiplined here, else we would not be here, I also like Harleys and homebrew(hehe, so no flames). I can remember my dad (rest his soul) used to drink a whisky, straight up from the bottle when no one was watching, call Ten High. Is anyone familiar with this, Is it a blended sprit. His dad would roll over in his grave if he knew his son was drinking a blended whisky. I also like a after dinner type liquor called B&B.

Finally, I wish distilling alcohol in the US at home was legal.

Id like to try a hand at it.

Cheers to all...

gene

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jim,

No need to open a new forum on my account. I have already worked it out with Vicky at the Bourbon Festival. Since Linn tends to be rather annoying she is going to slap him for me once a week and when I find him particularly annoying, all I have to do is mention it in a forum and she will add an extra slap or two for me. In Linn's defence, he knows he can be annoying, mostly because he often does it on purpose to add a little excitement to his life, he agreed to this arrangement. He is a good sport about it and I still like him, but he is a bit of a pain at times. I think it mostly happens in between bottles. The confussion of which bourbon to try next is a stressfull experience after all.

Mike Veach

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Omar,

I am sorry, but the Pipkin Microbrewery went bankrupt last year and was purchased by the Bluegrass Brewing Company. I don't know if they will continue to make a bourbon barrel stout or not. There are a few bottles to be found now, but I don't know how long that will last.

Mike Veach

I agree, but despite his recalcitrance, he still gets to have the crap slapped out of him by some arnoldesque mega-valkyrie with a taste for the bizzare??

What's up with that?

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.