Bourbon Imperial Stout

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This was the writing on a sign above the bar at a local brewpub (Triumphs) in Princeton, NJ. It gets released for consumption on Feb 5th. Sounds interesting. if you are around Princeton during that date you may want to stop in and try it out.

If you don't mind spending the money ( I don't mind, so please no comments on your refusal to pay this much for any beer) I recommend Goose Islands BOURBON COUNTY STOUT!!!!! Its runs $25-30 a 4 pack, but to many beer geek's, it is one of the most sought after Russian Imperial Stouts. At 11%, it's also perfect for cellaring. I put away two case's in my beer bunker ( God I need a bigger basement)

This Imperial stout is everything a bourbon drinker who enjoys " extreme beers" could want. I'll tell you this much, if Bud and Coors is your thing, you may want to avoid these types of beers. If you enjoy experiencing new beers on the other hand, RUN AND GET IT!!!!!! It's very limited and quite hard to find though.

Vange, PM me if Triumphs bottles or puts it in growlers. THANKS!!!!!!!!

If that is what I had one night at Hopleaf, and I believe it is, it is an exceptional drink. It isn't flavored with raspberry, but that's how it tastes. One rationale for the price is that this is a beer you sip. A pint of this lasts at least twice as long as anything else.

Chuck, You are SOOOOO lucky to live in Chicago. Goose Island is one of my favorite breweries. They make some great stuff.

I've been a fan for as long as I've lived here. The original brew pub, on Goose Island (yes, it's a real island in the Chicago River) is still there, only now the factory where they produce the bottled product is right behind it. The beer produced in the pub is only sold there. They also have a brew pub on Clark Street near Wrigley Field, which is walking distance for me. They also sell keg product and most local bars of any quality have at least the Honker's Ale on tap. Hopleaf is a wonderful pub in Andersonville, not far from me, that gets whatever the Goose has available in kegs at the moment, as well as all the best import and micro-brew beers from around the country and world, and good food too. Very convivial. One of the few places you can go where every beer is served in the "correct" glassware.

But it's not luck. I'm here by design.

In december, Leslie and I visited the Goose Island on Clybourn Street. I have always enjoyed Goose Island's bottled beers, but what was served at the pub was exceptional. I especially enjoyed the Christmas Ale and Leslie really liked the "urban wheat." No bourbon stout on tap at that time though.

This past winter I bought a 2 pack (500ml bottles) of a special Michelob Vanilla Oak. Supposedly aged in bourbon casks. It was WAYYYY too sweet. I barely got through the bottle. The other 500ml in the 2-pack was a chocolate beer. I am almost afraid to even open that one. Anyone else try these from Michelob this past holiday season?

Yeah and they kinda suck. If your a fan of Big Beer (Bud/Coors/Miller) you will love them. To Beer Geeks like me and the folks at BeerAdvocate.com you can look and read all the reviews on those two beers.

If Bud and Bud Light are the best selling beers in the USA, Does that mean they are the best???

IMO, Bud and Bud Lt are 2 of the worst beers sold. Swill. My favorite beer if I had to pick one is Guinness.

This past winter I bought a 2 pack (500ml bottles) of a special Michelob Vanilla Oak. Supposedly aged in bourbon casks. It was WAYYYY too sweet. I barely got through the bottle. The other 500ml in the 2-pack was a chocolate beer. I am almost afraid to even open that one. Anyone else try these from Michelob this past holiday season?

I picked up a six of Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale a couple weeks ago - a similar offering from Anheuser-Busch. It's ok, but a typical Anheuser Busch product - not very strongly flavored and not all that interesting.

Craig

I picked up a six of Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale a couple weeks ago - a similar offering from Anheuser-Busch. It's ok, but a typical Anheuser Busch product - not very strongly flavored and not all that interesting.

Craig

I really did not like the Winter's Bourbon Cask one at all. Way too much vanilla for me. I would have liked to taste it without all that vanilla. I did like their pumpkin spice one from the fall, however.

JOE

First, I'll say this: Goose Island rules. I lived in Rockford, IL for two years, and wish I'd sampled more Goose Island products than I did (though I'd probably be morbidly obese if I had).

Second, barrel-aging is becoming pretty trendy in craft brewing and homebrewing right now. I have my eye on filling a used bourbon barrel with Imperial Stout this summer (I've used bourbon and bourbon-soaked oak staves in stout and porter before).

Here's a thread from a homebrewing forum that I find pretty impressive and inspirational.

You sound like a wise man who understand's what make's life wonderful ( to me at least). You better send me some of those brew's when they are ready TBoner!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I misspoke in my earlier post. Actually, I was just wrong, as I realized a minute ago while looking at a map. Goose Island is a real island, in the Chicago River, but the Goose Island Brewery is not actually on Goose Island, although it is very close, about a block away.

Goose Island was created a long time ago when a local entrepreneur decided to dig a short cut to bypass a bend in the river, which carried a lot of commercial traffic in those days. As such, Goose Island doesn't feel much like an island, although it is one technically, but you kind of have to know where you are and tell yourself "I'm on Goose Island now" or you'd never know. One clue, though, is two bridges within about two blocks.

The two main streets that cross it are Halsted and Division, and probably millions of people have driven down both never knowing they were on an island.

The most fattening part about Goose Island is the potato chips.

There's a distillery in Lake Mills, Wisconsin, that makes outstanding, intense beers.

http://www.tyranena.com/

They have a Brewers Gone Wild series with a different beer released each quarter. Last spring's was "Who's Your Daddy?" Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter. It was an astonishingly well balanced beer.

I'm more of a hop head when it comes to beer, so I'm a big fan of their "Bitter Woman" and more intense variants.

They've got a regular bourbon barrel beer, too, but it's not as high in alcohol and age-worthy as the Who's Your Daddy (I finished my last of that one a couple of weeks ago, and I've still got some Hop Whore in waiting). I just moved to Louisville from Rockford, and their beer is what I'm going to miss the most.

I don't think they sell their beers outside Wisconsin, but the last time I checked the Woodman's at I-94 and Wisconsin 50 (I think it's the second exit into Wisconsin) had the full selection.

The beer is worth a little road trip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.