New Gentleman Jack bottle

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Jack Daniel's is introducing a new bottle for Gentleman Jack. Believe it or not, the GJ expression has been around for almost 20 years. (It was launched in 1988.) As I mentioned in another thread, they're going to have a 1.75 L, 1 L, 750 ml, 375 ml and 50 ml, but no 200 ml. I have asked why not and I'll let you know when I do.

The difference between Jack Black and GJ is that while Jack goes through the charcoal once, before it is barreled, GJ goes through again after it is dumped.

As I have said before, people will argue until the end of time about whether this improves or ruins the whiskey.

As you can see, the new bottle is pretty handsome and a big change from the old one. It should start to appear in stores in March.

The company emphasizes that nothing about the whiskey is changing, just the package, but if you want to bunker some of the old package before it goes away, now is the time.

post-5-14489812819486_thumb.jpg

I definitely prefer GJ to the regular JD. Seems more refined and drinkable.

The new bottle looks more elegant than the old. Seems like bourbon (and other spirits) are getting more and more like perfume every day ----- with much (perhaps most of the) time and effort spent on designing the packaging.

Brian, did you hear that David Lee Roth will re-join Van Halen for a big tour this summer?

Gary

Brian, did you hear that David Lee Roth will re-join Van Halen for a big tour this summer?

Gary

hahahaha...Yes I did...and I will be there faster than you can smash eggs with a snow shovel....

I also think that Gentlemans Jack is the best in the JD line. I only wish it were about 90 proof. I think the new bottle looks great!

Thomas

I prefer GJ over BJ, but it's splitting hairs. I don't even really like BJ and ciet coke that much. I prefer MM and diet or OGD and diet even more.

Thanks for the post Chuck, I had heard from a BF representative that there was a new GJ bottle, but had not seen it. They in the past, have made the bottle taller, shorter, fatter, and I think they've finally done it. The new one walks over the old! I am a bit of a fan of GJ, so I might start bunkering some of the old now......

Scott

I also think that Gentlemans Jack is the best in the JD line. I only wish it were about 90 proof. I think the new bottle looks great!

Thomas

I agree 100%...would love to try it at 90 proof.

Thanks for the post Chuck, I had heard from a BF representative that there was a new GJ bottle, but had not seen it. They in the past, have made the bottle taller, shorter, fatter, and I think they've finally done it. The new one walks over the old! I am a bit of a fan of GJ, so I might start bunkering some of the old now......

Scott

With any other company I might caution that you may not get the same bottle there, but Brown-Forman is pretty consistent, with their American whiskey products, of selling the same product everywhere -- same package, same proof, etc.

Before someone else says it, I know the one big exception: Early Times, which is "Kentucky whisky" in the USA and bourbon whiskey elsewhere.

About the only Jack Daniels I enjoy anymore is Single Barrel. I would gladly try either Gentleman Jack or Black Jack if they were offered at higher proof.

The new bottle does look great, but the last time I tasted Jack it was just very disappointing. I guess after drinking really good whiskey (borubon and rye) for a while now other stuff tastes even worse...

When I was in Lynchburg recently, I initially faced a dilemma. I really don't care for Jack black and am not all that crazy about GJ, but I had to be polite so I consumed Jack Daniel's Single Barrel exclusively and found doing so to be not a chore in the least. I think it is very good and every bit the equal of any bourbon or rye in its price point. I will drink it gladly, even gratefully, whenever the opportunity presents itself.

For me, JD & GJD have familial similarities. JDSB on the other hand had no resemblance to JD IMHO, and was stunningly good. I woudn't have been able to differentiate this from bourbon if I was asked. I wouldn't pay $50 cdn the LCBO wants for it, but it was suprisingly good for the output of a distillery I don't have much regard for...

With any other company I might caution that you may not get the same bottle there, but Brown-Forman is pretty consistent, with their American whiskey products, of selling the same product everywhere -- same package, same proof, etc.

Before someone else says it, I know the one big exception: Early Times, which is "Kentucky whisky" in the USA and bourbon whiskey elsewhere.

I'm sure you know ;) I guess everybody here is sure :)

BTW, thank you for the news about the new GJ bottle, it looks handsome. Maybe my first GJ experience will be with this new bottle, if it arrives here in a reasonable time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.