Crown Royal

tdt91
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I gotta question about Crown Royal. My father-inlaw has an unopened bottle with the date of 1967 on the cap seal tape/tax tape. Does Crown get better with age in the bottle or is it going to taste like vineger now?

I gotta know because I gotta a very large bottle w/ a date of 1977 that I'm aching to open.

If it has never been opened it should taste the same as new, unlike wine whiskey does not age in the bottle.

But if you could turn Crown Royal into vinegar, that would be a neat trick.

And worth while... At least you can use vinegar.

Tsk, tsk Jeremy! Be kind! :grin:

As I recall, I rather enjoyed the few sips of Crown Royal I had back in the early 1960's. I couldn't begin to say what it tasted like, only that I found it pleasant enough so that I was able to drink it neat.

Some of our long-time whiskey drinkers (I took a few decades off, so I don't qualify) say that CR back then was a fine drink, much nicer than today's version. I can't say, but I'd be very interested in tasting the 1966 version, which I'd expect to taste the same now as then.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

For those interested in CR, I refer them to the current issue of Malt Advocate. It has a considerable amount of detail on how it is made, more than I have ever read elsewhere. E.g., one of the constituent whiskies is a 96% rye "heavy" whisky, which seems clearly to be a straight rye-type whisky (or akin maybe to Old Potrero Hostalings). Of course the lighter whiskies in the blend predominate.

Current CR is from 8-12 years old, which is, overall, younger than CR was in 1966. However, CR Special Reserve probably is closest to the regular CR of the 1960's and received the highest praise from the author of the article.

Gary

Of course, the person who wrote the Crown Royal article is the same person who chose Woodford Reserve Four Grain as whiskey of the year. :) :) :)

But I like me a little Crown Royal every now and then. If you want to understand what people mean when they talk about the "Seagram's way of making whiskey," there it is writ large.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a mini of Crown Royal recently, and I found it quite enjoyable - enough so that I'll consider getting a fifth in the near future. Before I do so, however, I think I'll get another mini, and try it head-to-head against Wiser's 10yo, which is a favorite "traditional" Canadian whisky for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried both Crown Royal & Crown Royal Special Reserve this weekend. I enjoyed the Crown Royal, it's smooth and has some great notes. I thought that Crown Royal Special Reserve was a little too smooth and lackes some flavor (maybe my palate is too unrefined).

I was to Windsor,Ontario Canada this past weekend and the Ammex duty free store on the way back had a special on Crown Royal: 3 1L bottles for 52.00. In Ohio, these same bottles would sell for 91.00. We had no problem with costoms on the way back but the Canadian customs people are becoming quite pesky!

thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.