"Defining" Bourbon

BourbonBalls
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Of course bourbon is many things to all individuals, however for me, Russells Reserve 101 "defines" what bourbon is for me....just as Willie Nelson defines what country music is for me....I listen to, drink, and love others, but what makes us love this stuff? Favorites are discussed constantly but what makes bourbon, bourbon in your opinion?

For me, Russells Reserve is the right proof, the right age, the right taste. OF COURSE, I'm not saying its my "favorite", as the Van Winkles seem to be flawless, (and probably my favorite).

Both music and Bourbon are highly individual tastes. My question: I'm curious as to what everyone thinks is the bourbon "definition" for them.

This may change with each passing year....but how about NOW?

Wild Turkey 101 would be my simple "definition" of bourbon. Of course that could be compounded to include the "epitome" of bourbon, which for me is Kentucky Spirit.

WT 101 8 yr. is the all-time archetype. It was my first taste of quality bourbon as a youth. I remember it being like a cross between RR101 and the current 101. With both RR 101 and the 8yr. no longer availably this honor falls to Rare Breed.

Jeff,

Please refresh my memory. Where do you stand regarding the WT 12 y/o?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Count me as another who considers the Wild Turkey expressions to be archtypal. My favorite's the RR101 too - like you say, the right proof, the right flavor elements, the right balance (at least until you plump for the Kentucky Spirit. I've had two bottles of that, and both were astonishingly good. )

The other bourbon that shares those same archtypal characteristics, to me at least, is Old Forester 100. I've never had an unkind bottle of that stuff.

WT 101 or (a personal emotional favorite Weller Centennial) defines it for me. I like / love / enjoy many other pours... but these two say "the real thing".

Without thinking about it, WTRB. After thinking about it and looking at my collection--WTRB! The color, nose, taste and fininsh of this bourbon is quintessential.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.