New herb flavored vodka

tritioch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just got the new Spirit Journal in the mail and noticed these new vodkas,

Herb's Cilantro Herb infused Vodka

Herb's Dill Leaf Infused Vodka

Herb's Fennel Infused Vodka

Herb's Rosemary Herb Infused Vodka

All are 40%, estimated retail ~$30/750ml. I would love to try the Cilantro with some Mexican, or the Rosemary with some grilled chicken. Anyone try these yet?, or any of the Modern Spirits vodkas?

Just got the new Spirit Journal in the mail and noticed these new vodkas,

Herb's Cilantro Herb infused Vodka

Herb's Dill Leaf Infused Vodka

Herb's Fennel Infused Vodka

Herb's Rosemary Herb Infused Vodka

All are 40%, estimated retail ~$30/750ml. I would love to try the Cilantro with some Mexican, or the Rosemary with some grilled chicken. Anyone try these yet?, or any of the Modern Spirits vodkas?

Cooking with these may also be very interesting. :yum:

In what way would cooking with $30 cilantro infused vodka differ from cooking with about 30 cents worth of fresh cilantro?

I would think these might be better used in a vodka "martini" or maybe a bloody mary.

I agree with cowdery. What flavor would vodka impart into the food. :puke: Why not just drink the vodka then use the herbs in the food.

bj

My favorite herb-infused vodka? Gin.

I agree completely :toast: :yum:

But I can see how someone might prefer an herb-infused spirit minus the juniper. Are there any Gins that don't use juniper? Could gin be called gin without juniper?

Dutch and Belgian gins sometimes eschew juniper, Jeff; Filliers of French Belgium famously (amongst an admittedly small group of devotees) does. It is aged, too, so it ends up being somewhat like Canadian whisky.

However the classic London dry style would seem to me to require in most cases juniper (for its character).

There may be some that use only a little of it and I am not sure if newer, hip brands (e.g., Raj, which rates high on recent published tastings) use any; but my sense is all London Dry and the American equivalents use the berry to a degree.

Gary

I you want to try these, save youself some money and make your own.

Buy a cheap bottle of vodka (they're all basically the same in spite of the marketing hype), add the herb(s), and let steep for a week or so. Occassionally swirl the bottle during the process. Taste. If not intense enough, let it sit longer. When you get the desired result, strain through a coffee filter and enjoy(?).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.