Boilermaker

RoyalWater
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let's talk about the boilermaker (a beer and at least one shot of whiskey mixed together). It is a concoction that a number of my associates and I actually enjoy, though I understand many people find it nasty. What is your opinion of the drink? What combinations can you recommend?

One of my low-budget favorites is Schaefer and Grand MacNish. One of my bosses likes Miller Lite and JB White. One I have heard of frequently is Guiness/Smithwick's and Bushmill's.

I can say that I'm not a fan of the boilermaker, thought I do understand its origin a bit. Seems to be a bit of a factory workers drink. mix the bourbon and beer (both cheap house pours) to clear out the throat after work.

The Guinness/Irish mixture is commonly (in the US) also mixed with Bailey's to make what is referred to as an Irish Car Bomb.

My favorite of the beer cocktails would be the Flaming Dr. Pepper...Beer (cheap lager) with a mixed shot of amaretto and 151 rum ...flamed with a match...yes it does taste like Dr. Pepper, and is damn good...if you like that flavor.

Oh, another beer cocktail that I like is the Black Velvet...stout and Champagne. First time I ever had this one (or heard of it) was at the Dog and Duck in Austin, TX. Damn fine cocktail.

Oh, another beer cocktail that I like is the Black Velvet...stout and Champagne...

Depending on where you are a Black Velvet might be stout and cider. It may be considered a workingman's version of the drink. For me, champagne mostly dries out the beer and makes it more tart, where cider stands up to the Guinness better and adds another dimension to the mix.

As for boilermakers - I've heard of a non-mixed variant that may have a name like "shot and a short" where you get whiskey and a stubby of beer. I think a lot of investigation could go into matching beers with bourbons this way...

Roger

As for boilermakers - I've heard of a non-mixed variant that may have a name like "shot and a short" where you get whiskey and a stubby of beer. I think a lot of investigation could go into matching beers with bourbons this way...

Roger

Growing up in Milwaukee, that was often the drink (drinks?) of choice. The shot was usually brandy (supposedly more brandy per capita consumed is in the Brew City than anywhere else in the country.)

Oh, another beer cocktail that I like is the Black Velvet...stout and Champagne.

That's strange, years back I took a test to find out what drink I was and it said I was a Black Velvet. Naturally I hopped on google to find out how to make it and found that this drink was made with dark ale and dark rum. Now when I google I just find champagne and stout. After a feel of the crushed velvet shirt I have on the latter makes more sense to me, the drink I made also wasn't that great (Not really bad either).

Anyway, boilermakers used to be a favorite of mine but now I prefer just the bourbon. As soon as someone told me what they were made from I found myself thinking 'Wow, that sounds good!' and, imo, they are! Although I haven't had one in a long time my favorite combo was Fantome Noel (2004, they use a different recipe every year, unfortunately) and WT101 (or maybe it was WTRR101, I'm not sure). Bud and Jim Beam will taste fine though.

I don't like many complex cocktails. Two or three ingredients is what appeals to me: whiskey and tea, mezcal and tea, whiskey and soda, whiskey and coffee, boilermaker, rum and gatorade, margarita; these are things I like. What about George Thorogood boilermakers (one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer)? I've never yet landed on a combination that was good enough to drink again.

I don't like many complex cocktails. Two or three ingredients is what appeals to me: whiskey and tea, mezcal and tea, whiskey and soda, whiskey and coffee, boilermaker, rum and gatorade, margarita; these are things I like. What about George Thorogood boilermakers (one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer)? I've never yet landed on a combination that was good enough to drink again.

Rum and gatorade????

If made with compatible ingredients, a rum and gatorade cocktail will taste like berry and cream ice cream, yogurt, milkshake or whatever. The gatorade, powerade, etc. needs to be strawberry, raspberry, watermelon, or other sweet red fruit. The rum needs to be creamy or vanilla flavored. My combination is strawberry-kiwi sports drink and Whaler's Vanille rum; if a pint is made with one shot it will be mildly creamy, more creaminess is achieved by going with one cup to one shot. Ladies love it!:grin:

Also, hangovers are less common because the sports drink base keeps one well hydrated. I never drink that much though so I can't verify from personal experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.