Only Kentucky

porgymcnasty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You are correct. Bourbon can be and is made outside of Kentucky. I'm sure others will provide you with a link to the statute -- I cannot. The most common lie is that Bourbon can only be made in Bourbon County, Kentucky, when indeed no bourbon is made (distilled or bottled) in Bourbon County, Kentucky at this time.

Greg

kitzg

The Code of Federal Regulations defines bourbon as follows:

(1)(i) "Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in

charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

Separately, Congress has declared that bourbon whiskey is a unique product of the United States. Through treaty, non-US manufacturers are prevented from calling any imported product "bourbon."

Kentucky law has a provision defining what standards have to be met for a product to call itself "Kentucky Boubon."

You could argue that if bourbon had to be made in Kentucky, it would be redundant to identify the product as "Kentucky Bourbon."

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.