Galt House Hotel ?

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just booked a room for Tuesday night in downtown Louisville through Hotwire and got the Galt House Hotel and Suites. It looks pretty nice but wanted to ask if anyone had any info on the place? I was planning to stay there just Tuesday night, but looks like the same place on Hotwire for only $67 Wednesday night. It doesn't sound like many people will be in Bardstown yet so I was thinking about booking another night and kicking around L'ville for an extra day. The extra day might give me a chance to see Churchill Downs which I have always wanted to visit.

Do they have a decent bourbon selection at Jockey Silks Bourbon Bar? Anybody been there?

I just noticed it is the official hotel of Churchill Downs so I was thinking it must be pretty nice.

Or should I go stay a night in Frankfort?.... Hmmm.

I think the Galt House is a monstrosity, but I will now save Mike Veach the trouble of writing a post to say he disagrees. If you've already booked the room, go ahead and stay there, but arm yourself in advance with a spirit of whimsy. If you think of the place as an elaborate joke, a night there can be fun.

On the plus side, the Jockey Silks bar has a terrific selection and the location of the Galt House is superb. The Fourth Street Live entertainment district is just a couple blocks to the south and the old "whiskey row" (where all the distillers and wholesalers had their offices in the heyday) is to the west, as is the Louisville Slugger musuem and other cool stuff. You can also check out two really nice hotels, the Seelbach Hotel and 21C Museum Hotel.

The price is certainly right and there is a lot to see and do in the Louisville area. Treat yourself to a drive out Seventh Street Road to see where all the distilleries used to be. Just head south on Seventh Street and keep going until it ends at Dixie Highway, then turn right and head back north on Dixie, which will bring you to Brown-Forman's headquarters campus and Heaven Hill's distillery. Then turn right on Broadway to get back into downtown (or just head in the general direction of the tall buildings on whichever street you choose).

The Galt house has just completed a 60 million dollar renovation project. Click here ---> http://www.galthouse.com/Renovations.aspx to view it :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

This renovation was long overdue. The owner passed away several years ago. The hotel stayed in a "time warp" for ever and a year. The surviving "daughters" took charge and it's incredible the transformation :grin: :grin: :grin:

You will enjoy your stay there, make sure you walk by the wharf and ride the "Belle of Louisville". The Louisville Slugger museum is right down the road... :grin: Just a few "more" suggestions :grin:

Bettye Jo

That's very good news. I will contain my contempt for the place until I can check it out in person.

Oh nice, thanks Bobby! Don't tell me being out at night in Southern California is safer than Louisville Kentucky? I guess everything is relative and there is bad areas everywhere.

Hi Christian!

It doesn't sound like many people will be in Bardstown yet so I was thinking about booking another night and kicking around L'ville for an extra day. The extra day might give me a chance to see Churchill Downs which I have always wanted to visit.

I'm a fan of the ponies myself, you're gonna love the Churchill Museum. Too bad you're not doing your extra day on the day after the Sampler, the Spring Meet opens Sampler Saturday.

I've been to the Galt a couple of times since the renovation. The Jockey Silks is a result of the renovation. Its intimate and warm, with a great staff. I think (their old bar) D' Marie's had a better view, but the bar's selection is still a Bourbon lover's dream.

Chuck and Bettye Jo are both right. It used to be seedy, and yes they've renovated. So now what you have (in true Kentucky tradition) is alittle of both. The Conservatory is breath-taking, and I suspect a large chunk of the $60 tab. However, there were still some large areas that would bring a tear to Elvis' eye. Either way, its still a Louisville icon, especially for Thunder and Derby.

Chuck is really right about the 21C. Its owned by Laura Brown (Brown-Forman) and her husband. The bar is called Proofs, but their selection wasn't noteworthy. Make sure to visit the restroom...;-).

Then there's the Maker's Mark Lounge in Fourth Street Live! Their selection is excellent, and flights are available. We made the mistake of going on a Saturday night. Too crowded and loud for my tastes.

But you should try to check out Whisky Mag's best Bourbon bar in the US! Really, The Bourbons Bistro is not all that far from the Galt House. Interstate 64 makes it a breeze. There you'll find good food, a wealth of knowledge and a crazy Bourbon selection available in flights.

Here's hoping you enjoy your trip to Kentucky!

Bj

And oh yeah, Bobby's right too...;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Brenda and all, so I am curious, do the horses not start running at all until that time after the Sampler?

Based on the fairly positive info and the low price ($67 through Hotwire) I decided to book the additional (Wednesday) night there at the Galt House. I'll be at the General Nelson Thurs - Sun.

The horses are running at Keeneland in Lexington up until the 27th and then the meet moves over to Churchill.

Worth the trip to Lexington!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Fricky and I went there on Tuesday evening. We don't know much about the hotel since we were heading for Jocky Silks, which we thought was fabulous. The bartender was extremely friendly and the pours we're very generous. I doubt that we'll ever stay there but every trip to Louisville will include an excursion to Jocky Silks.

Joe :usflag:

ps. The steak house in the place was very good also.

Chuck,

Fricky and I went there on Tuesday evening. We don't know much about the hotel since we were heading for Jocky Silks, which we thought was fabulous. The bartender was extremely friendly and the pours we're very generous. I doubt that we'll ever stay there but every trip to Louisville will include an excursion to Jocky Silks.

Joe :usflag:

ps. The steak house in the place was very good also.

I did also enjoy the Jocky Silk bar when I did visit it Joe. Lower prices than Bourbon Bistro and a comparable assortment.

Leif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.