Which Rye to Try?

GoodDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Quite possibly my favorite whiskey of all time was the Willett 22 year rye Doug did awhile back. Not available anymore, sadly. My second favorite was a Prohibition-era Mount Vernon Rye. Both of these were because of the extraordinary generosity of another sb'er (thanks Howie!). One rye I haven't tried but would love to is an old Old Overholt BIB. However, none of these are available for purchase, so I guess I'm probably off topic here.

How about the VWFR Rye? I had the '06, which goes great with food by the way (I had it with barbecued lamb - I was in heaven). Anyone tried the current bottling yet? I have a line on a couple bottles I may be able to grab in a couple weeks.

The more I drink WT Rye the more I realize its complexity. I have found that adding a little water or a couple of ice cubes really brings out the fruit flavors.

How about the VWFR Rye? I had the '06, which goes great with food by the way (I had it with barbecued lamb - I was in heaven). Anyone tried the current bottling yet? I have a line on a couple bottles I may be able to grab in a couple weeks.

I've had, with a little help from a friend, about 2/3 of a bottle of the 2007 "I" bottling in the last 24hrs and - while I can't compare it to any other Ryes (VW or otherwise) - I do like it. a lot.

The more I drink WT Rye the more I realize its complexity. I have found that adding a little water or a couple of ice cubes really brings out the fruit flavors.

In addition, WT Rye is one of those whiskeys that benefits from exposure to oxygen. Fairly grassy at first, my bottle mellowed out very nicely after a month or so of being opened. I might even give the edge to WT over baby Saz at that point.

I am sooo glad to have discovered the Ritt BIB ....it is my current favorite pour. Last night I was in aroma heaven smelling my empty glass ...

The Ritt BIB is outstanding. Given it's very low price it goes on my list of best all-time bourbon values too.

• 6 months later...

Haven't tried Rittenhouse. In fact, I don't recall having seen it at my local poke store.

I'm quite fond of the Wild Turkey. I believe it's 101 proof, just like the bourbon. I'm just too lazy to go upstairs to look.

Haven't tried Rittenhouse. In fact, I don't recall having seen it at my local poke store.

I'm quite fond of the Wild Turkey. I believe it's 101 proof, just like the bourbon. I'm just too lazy to go upstairs to look.

Hey Doc!

(That is the Doc up in Lansing.)

Tell him the two ryes to avoid like the plague.

Hey Doc!

(That is the Doc up in Lansing.)

Tell him the two ryes to avoid like the plague.

I can not tolerate Beam Rye. It has a young, grainy flavor that I find very unappealing. I did, however, manage to make it taste a little better:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9144&highlight=beam+rye

We also did a blind tasting with the three Turkey-Family ryes. Long story short: A dusty bottle of 101 Rye won the contest. Current 101 Rye came in second. RRR90 came in last by quite a bit.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9861&highlight=turkeys

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.