New Year Celebration

kitzg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are you likely to drink this New Years Eve?

Nothing?

Exclusively Bourbon?

Whatever someone else serves for free?

Bourbon followed by Champagne (or at least something sparking) at midnight?

Wine and champagne?

Beer?

All of the above?

--Greg

I cannot predict what mood I will be in and the mood determines what I will drink.

Probably Maker's Mark, maybe in coffee so I can stay awake *LOL*

BB

There is a hole in Misery's fence.

They cannot shut you in...

--Paul Gallico

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Greg,

One of my wife's many vices is an intense love of Cordon Negro, and that is what we'll be drinking at midnight. I'll be drinking bourbon up until that time, but Vickie will be cruising on Cordon Negro all night.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Linn, I love Vickie's vices. I am sure we'll drink something sparkling about midnight. I love good French champagne and now some California bubbly. Not sure what I'll drink before, yet.

-- how 'bout the rest of you?

-- Greg

kitzg

Hmm, Since my bottle of '91 EWSB is over halfway finished I'll probably stick with that although Wathen's might make an appearance. Around midnight I'm sure that I'll have a glass of champagne. I think Chateau Ste. Michelle (Washington state) makes pretty good champagne and it's not outrageously priced (I know, it's not true champagne unless it's from Champagne, France).

At one New Year's party I tried a martini 'cause I was in a British-cut tux and wanted it just because I had the James Bond thing going on. I finished it, but it cured me of ever wanting to try another martini.

JR

I will be drinking 12yr 100* Very Very OLD FITZGERALD distilled in 68 and bottled in 1980. want to say THANKS to everyone for the help and info i received thru the year. lots of bourbonic knowledge and good people on this forum. special THANKS to Mr. Butler for this site. LIFE IS GOOD--den

Will start off with a dram of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition 1980 after work with fellow employees, then head home to the family and share a bottle of Louis Roederer N.V. Brut with my beautiful wife. After everyone else has gone to bed, perhaps I'll stare out the window at the new year with a glass of Bowmore 21 in my hand.

Now, wait a sec. Before certain folks get in a snit, I want you all to know that I attended a dinner party two nights ago, and as my contribution to the party I presented the host a bottle of A. H. Hirsch 16 yo. The Hirsch was opened after midnight and provided the perfect end to a wonderful evening.

I wish a happy, healthy and prosperous new year to one and all!

SJ

The only sure thing about the 'drinking arrangements' is a glass of Champagne around midnite.

My plan was to begin the evening with a JD Silver Select, followed by a MM Ltd. Edition, 'crescendoing' into a sip of WT 12 yo.

But who knows - since I'm no 'serious drinker' I'll probably need a triple Espresso (intravenously) after the MM...

Ekki,

Have you ever tried JD Single Barrel? I'm just wondering if you could describe any difference between JD Single Barrel and JD Silver Select. The only difference I know of is the proof...JD SB 94, JD SS 100.

JR

Right folks,

it's 2002 over here already - so first of all a Happy New Year to all of you.

Re drink-wise: as you can imagine all went different. We had a nice bottle of Rioja with the dinner which I concluded with a double Espresso and a Cohiba Siglo III (both orally, btw...). All in all this kind of 'Spanish evening' (including meat, tapas, etc.) was (thanks to my wife) very satisfying.

Since we were both pretty stuffed we decided to take a walk. On the way back we went to a bar where I (finally !) had a whiskey. Although they had loads of different Scotches their selection of Bourbons was rather limited. When I asked the bartender what Bourbons they had he immediately replied 'Jack Daniels'. I couldn't resist smartassing the guy be telling him that JD isn't Bourbon, etcetc. (you know what I mean...). Well, in fact I found myself quite embarrassing but he deserved this 'treatment' since he finally offered me a Beam's Choice, explaining it as an old Bourbon ('...other Bourbons are only 3 years old or so...'). I ordered the JDaniels instead...

Btw, a glass of Champagne at Midnight was mandatorily.

Re JD SS/SB: John, I haven't tried the Single Barrel (yet) but according to some sources (the JD site, books...) these whiskeys should be pretty similar. Does the added proof make a big difference ? It definitely does in price, at least over here. I guess only a tasting will tell us...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.