World Whisky Awards

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WHISKY Magazine has announced the winners of its biannual World Whiskey Awards. To get the full scoop, go here.

I was one of the judges for the North American leg. We tasted 43 whiskeys from the USA and Canada. Everything was blind but we did know categories. Ostensibly, we used a 10 point scale, but in reality we used a scale from 6.0 to 9.75, allowing quarter points.

The categories were: bourbon no age, bourbon 7 years and under, bourbon 8 years and older, US non-bourbon no age, US non-bourbon 7 years and under, US non-bourbon 8 years and older, Canadian 12 years and under, Canadian 13 years and older.

The overall competition started with 158 whiskeys. They named winners in each category, then chose from the category winners six "best of show" selections, including "Best American Whiskey."

The results for North America:

BEST AMERICAN WHISKEY: Baker's 7 Year Old

BEST BOURBON: Baker's 7 Year Old

BEST BOURBON NO AGE: Four Roses Single Barrel

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

BEST BOURBON 7 YEARS AND UNDER: Baker's 7 Year Old

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Bulleit Bourbon

BEST BOURBON 8 YEARS AND OVER: Russell's Reserve

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Jim Beam Black

BEST NON-BOURBON AMERICAN WHISKEY: Bernheim Wheat

BEST NON-BOURBON AMERICAN WHISKEY NO AGE: Bernheim Wheat

BEST NON-BOURBON AMERICAN WHISKEY 7 YEARS AND UNDER: Sazarec Rye 6 Years Old

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Templeton Rye

BEST NON-BOURBON AMERICAN WHISKEY 8 YEARS AND OVER: Sazerac Rye 18 Years Old

HIGHLY COMMENDED: George Dickel No. 12

BEST CANADIAN WHISKY: XR Crown Royal

BEST CANADIAN WHISKY 12 YEARS AND UNDER: Forty Creek Small Batch Reserve

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Moutain Rock Whisky

BEST CANADIAN WHISKY 13 YEARS AND OVER: XR Crown Royal

HIGHLY COMMENDED: Gibson's 18 Year Old

Thanks for posting that, Chuck.

Not suggesting you to type this LOL, but it would be nice to see what some of these were competing against (if that info is known).

I'm particularly interested in hearing what other bourbons Baker's beat out, as well as what the Sazerac 18 was tried against and was it last fall's release or other?

Bakers is one of my top 5's. Glad to see it was consistantly rated tops. It doesn't get a lot of mentioning around hear, but I like it. ALOT

There were 43 entries in the Canadian and American categories, so the competition was virtually everyone. This wasn't just new or recent releases. It was basically everything that's currently in general circulation.

With something like the Sazerac, it was whatever "edition" the company submitted but, depending on when they were submitted, it probably was the most recent release.

Many thanks for posting Chuck...

Interesting and honest results that I will peruse/refer to for some time.

I am due a bottle of Baker's and all the other honourable mentions such as JB black, Dickel and lil Saz are regular pours for me. A bottle of Baker's it is then!

Baker's is a personal favorite. It's no. 1 in the Small Batch Collection, IMHO.

I always enjoy a pour at the Sampler while chatting with Jerry Dalton, Beam's erudite and personable Master Distiller.

Baker's is a personal favorite. It's no. 1 in the Small Batch Collection, IMHO.

I agree! :yum:

I can't disagree with any of the results (with the disclaimer that I haven't tried a couple of the Canadians)... the top choices would also fall in the upper end of my personal rankings as well.

Bakers is one of my top 5's. Glad to see it was consistantly rated tops. It doesn't get a lot of mentioning around hear, but I like it. ALOT

Baker's has always been a favorite of mine, and I have also been surprised that it doesn't seem to get more raves on SB.

As far as those results, I haven't had the opportunity to taste all the whiskeys mentioned, but I will say I am rather surprised at some of the bottlings I don't see, such as the ORVWs and Wellers, and some that I do see, such as Bulleit and JB Black. Guess it just goes to show it's all in the mouth & nose of the beholder! Tom V

It's good and motivating for me to be able to find at least two "highly commended" bourbons (JBB and Bulleit) here in Turkey.

Very interesting. I guess I oughta invest in another bottle of Bakers again. I've bought it twice in the past, and thought it too harsh to be enjoyable. Maybe the third time'll be the charm, to turn this toad into a prince.

Very interesting. Thanks. I have a Baker's sampler that I will have to try. Looking forward to it.

Chuck,

1. After the tasting, did they let you know what your own personal results were?

2. How in the world did you manage to keep your palate alive tasting 43 different whiskeys!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, I'm glad you posted this. Lit a fire for me to go try Bakers again.... It had been quite some time and my faded memories weren't all that positive. So I picked up a bottle and cracked it yesterday. It took a while to settle in on me but it was actually quite good. I wouldn't rank it #1 (or even in my top 5) but if Bakers was the only Bourbon I could buy, I'd be pretty happy. It was complex and full bodied and sweet. Very mild for 107 proof. I may have to start including it in my "regular pours".

Thanks!!

Ken

I also was inspired to pick up a bottle of Baker's -- my first.

I'm impressed. I found it deeper and richer than its siblings, with lots of chocolate on the palate. Delicious.

Thanks for the push!

- clayton

I also was inspired to pick up a bottle of Baker's -- my first.

I'm impressed. I found it deeper and richer than its siblings, with lots of chocolate on the palate. Delicious.

Thanks for the push!

- clayton

More so that KC? I'm right in thinking they are the same company right? I'm going to have to jump out and grab some Bakers. Those sound like just the right tastes for my palate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.