The newest Willett family estate Rye

jinenjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked up my one and only bottle from Ledger's in Berkeley. Big thanks go out to Doug, Drew, and Neil. Cheers! :bowdown:

I probably won't open it for a while as I have my older bottle (the first issue) to finish. I've been taking my time with that one. Roger popped one open at his place last saturday during our study group. I don't know why I didn't go for a taste then, I think I was too full or only sticking with the wheaters by that point.

Anyhow, some questions regarding the label: The bottle amount (x out of 216), barrel number (8), location (warehouse G, rick N4), and date of distillate (4/10/1984) are clearly different from the first 22 year-old straight rye (I forget the stats on that one), but being close to one year later now the age statement and proof are exactly the same (22y.o. at 68.35%, 136.7 proof).

My guess is that it was actually bottled this year before April 10th. So it's still considered 22 years-old. The same proof puzzles me though. Was it the same by sheer coincidence?

p.s. By the way, for any local folk, Ed Ledger recently got in some Pappy 20 and 23. He also dropped the price for the first Willett. I'm not sure if he ships to other states though.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This is bigger than Willett 1, with less floral and more sweet-spice and chocolate elements. There is slightly more wood tannin than Willett 1, but it dissipates with even a soupcon of water or some airing. Yum. Yum. Yum.

<chirp, chirp, chirp>
LOL, Jake.

More like. . . <slurp, slurp, slurp> :grin:

Comparing WII, I agree with your assessment: More oak, more rye. In one word or less, I'd describe it as "deep".

Currently I'm finding Willett II an excellent contrast to Willett I. Initially I thought I could but right now I'm having a tough time deciding which is more to my liking as both have their expressed purpose & place.

Great praise from you two. Still, I have yet to crack mine open.

Is there not any others to chime in on this one?

Accolades to Doug Philips and the west coast study group. You guys picked another fine rye. Maybe a wee bit more interesting than Willett's #1. I've had the pleasure of drinking this stuff from two opened bottles. Excellent.

Joe :usflag:

I don't have mine yet!!

Dawn

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This is bigger than Willett 1, with less floral and more sweet-spice and chocolate elements. There is slightly more wood tannin than Willett 1, but it dissipates with even a soupcon of water or some airing. Yum. Yum. Yum.

I pretty much agree with your assesment. Lots of wood up front that then goes to typical rye spice and lots of chocolate on the finish.

A much shorted ride than W1 in terms of flavors and how long those flavors last, but W1 was truly a rare bottling. This is quite good and I would liken it to a Stagg. Very robust highlighted by one or two very distinct well rounded flavors. Looking forward to seeing how it tastes as I get further into the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.