Buffalo Trace Hard Hat

mozilla
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On my recent trip to Kentucky my first tour was at BT. Was fortunate enough to meet Harlen and Elmer within just a few minutes of each other. The barrels are in Warehouse C, first floor. The tanks are about 90,000 gallons and the two pipes are (big) sweet mash and (little) spent mash to sour the sweet while fermenting.

post-1653-14489813040778_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813041177_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813041576_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813041964_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813042344_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813042765_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813043147_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813043577_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813043968_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813044351_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813044766_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty cool photos. I've never been to a distillery, but I have been to BT's web site where you can connect into the web cams at BT's. Are those barrels being pushed forward to be dumped?

Meeting Elmer would be the highlight for me. Considering ETL was the first Bourbon I ever had it would be like meeting a God. A whiskey making God!

The whole Hard Hat tour was excellent! Lots of huge machines and equipment that process feed and dry it that were not pictured. I did snap a pic of the room that will be used for the new micro still or something like that(formerly the yeast room). Also got a pic of Harlen on his way through the yard. I'm not sure when those barrels will be dumped. We saw them on the ground floor of bonded warehouse C.

Jeff

post-1653-14489813107898_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813108294_thumb.jpg

post-1653-14489813108694_thumb.jpg

post-1653-1448981310909_thumb.jpg

Seeing those pictures brought back some great memories. My brother and I were at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival last Fall. We had the good fortune to be invited to accompany Harlen on a hard hat tour while he was doing his rounds.

There's nothing like seeing from where the nectar of the gods arises.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Seeing those pictures brought back some great memories. My brother and I were at the Kentucky Bourbon Festival last Fall. We had the good fortune to be invited to accompany Harlen on a hard hat tour while he was doing his rounds.

There's nothing like seeing from where the nectar of the gods arises.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Harlen was very gracious and spent alot of time with us; close to an hour and a half....in fact, if memory serves, we were late getting to Wild Turkey where we were supposed to meet up with Jimmy Russell. Fortunately, he was late also. :cool:

Repeat that experience many, many times over and you realize how much the distillers value this community. I believe they also genuinely enjoy meeting and spending time with the most enthusiastic fans of their work, but it's also nice to be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Took the BT Hard Hat tour today and, as it happened, they were making rye (the last of the two days BT will make rye this distilling season). Total production is estimated at 700 barrels. I forgot to ask how this compares with past production years. Very interesting to taste the difference between the rye and bourbon in the fermenters.

• 2 months later...

just did this tour just last week. being my first trip there and first look at a distillery, it was fascinating and better than any of the other tours we did later on.

• 7 months later...
Took the BT Hard Hat tour today and, as it happened, they were making rye (the last of the two days BT will make rye this distilling season). Total production is estimated at 700 barrels. I forgot to ask how this compares with past production years. Very interesting to taste the difference between the rye and bourbon in the fermenters.

It would be interesting to get more facts about their rye numbers.

How many of the fermentors were full of rye? Did it taste different than the regular mashbill that they make, assuming you have tasted it, either in the fermentors or stills?

Last time I was there, I noticed a large pool of corn oil floating on the fermentors. I thought it strange how much oil was present. I have not noticed this at any other distillery.

just did this tour just last week. being my first trip there and first look at a distillery, it was fascinating and better than any of the other tours we did later on.

Which distilleries did you make it to that trip? Did you get the hard hat tour or regular tour at BT?

They only make rye for a couple of days each season. If they ran rye four days total last year, maybe they did five this year. It's still not very much. Everybody else the same way, a couple of days each season.

The hard hat tour is awesome. The tour guides were really good and the facility was really hopping.

Today they were bottling ER17 and a Japanese bottling of Blantons (complete with rice paper label) in the Blanton's Bottling Hall. I'll post pics tonight.

• 1 month later...
Whoops, I posted the link to a single image rather than to a whole album. There should be 40 something pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37483&l=b0c7f&id=504187490

Okay...in the pic of the display case, what is the flat looking bottle on the shelf with the Blanton's.

I wish they would stop messing with this case...they keep removing non-current bottlings...there used to be some really cool bottlings in there.

Okay...in the pic of the display case, what is the flat looking bottle on the shelf with the Blanton's.

I wish they would stop messing with this case...they keep removing non-current bottlings...there used to be some really cool bottlings in there.

That is Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve.

That is Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve.

Okay, I can see how that could be...just a strange reflection in the glass, I guess.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.