Oysters on the Half Shell

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am not much of thread starter, but one of my favorite-must-watch-regardless of how many times I have seen it movies; Cocktail just started so I'll be up a while; but I digress. I just wanted to get some input on what has become a new (almost) love of mine: Oysters on the Half Shell. I first tried these a while back in Oregon and was left still curious. Well tonight I met my girlfriend, two of her sisters and one of their husbands in Huntington Beach at King's Fish House (more on this place later), a new seafood place in SURPRISE a strip mall parking lot; which is a southern california specialty. (Sense my disdain?). I am only brave enough so far to eat the small ones, tonight it was Kushi and Stingray. The Stingray were very mild probably what most would like because they were not too fishy. The Kushi were, well, oyster(y) tasting with a (finish?) that was kind of fishy and rich tasting and I really enjoyed these, so much in fact that I ordered a few more after the first plate, the gazpacho and the cod fish and chips with sauteed spinach and garlic mashed in place of the 'chips'.

I know all the fears about eating raw seafood and quite honestly that kept me away from sushi and these oysters for a long time. These fears as well as my curiosity makes me wander what does everyone else think about Oysters raw? For those who get to me me somewhat well it sn't long before you know that I try to enjoy any of the finer things in life that I can afford - it is what makes living it worth it, isn't it? Personally I think these oysters are kind of a sexy dish, they look apalling or incredibly arousing depending how you perceive them. And of course I have to know if you do enjoy these, do you have a bourbon that goes well with them? I tried WT, but it was cork tainted so switched to Knob Creek and that was really a good pairing I thought. I felt that there had to be a somewhat rye spicy bourbon, no way would I think a wheater would pair well with these. As I sip on OFBB I can't help but think this would be superb with the Oysters!

Back to Cocktail, how can you not love this movie? "I am the last barman poet / I see America drinking the fabulous cocktails I make / Americans getting stinky on something I stir or shake / The sex on the beach / The schnapps made from peach / The velvet hammer / The Alabama slammer. / I make things with juice and froth / The pink squirrel / The three-toed sloth. / I make drinks so sweet and snazzy / The iced tea / The kamakazi / The orgasm / The death spasm / The Singapore sling / The dingaling. / America you've just been devoted to every flavor I got / But if you want to got loaded / Why don't you just order a shot? / Bar is open."

As for the restuarant, http://www.kingsfishhouse.com/index.html I am very impressed, it is a small chain. Chain seafood places usually do not impress me too much if there is more than 3 or 4, but this one I can't say a negative thing about yet. Given, this was only one time but I'll be there again many times until they disappoint. Have any of you SoCal folks been here?

One other Cocktail quote "everything ends badly, or else it wouldn't end"

I have loved raw oysters ever since my father convinced me to try them when I was 18. But, I rarely eat them anymore, because they are so frequently contaminated, at least on the East and Gulf coasts. I will still eat cooked oysters, but they are not as good.

My usual ones, Gulf Coast oysters, are usually very large. I never really thought about distinguishing oysters by size or variety. To me, they have always just been "oysters".

By the way, according to the rules of etiquette, it is impolite to cut an oyster, no matter how large or how it is prepared. They should always be eaten whole.

Tim

I have loved the Oysters on a half shell for a long time. Living in the Midwest you have to go to a fancy restaurant in St. Louis or other large city to get them. Around the holidays [Christmas and New Years] we can get them in a sealed plastic container at the supermarket without the half shell and I get several and freeze them. I thaw them out and eat a whole container at a time. I like to make my own seafood sauce with horseradish and catsup with a dash of lemon juice and Lea and Perren's sauce.

bj

I enjoy raw oysters too, in Canada we get Malpeques from Prince Edward Island which are great, briny and meaty. There are some excellent U.S. varieties as well. I used to eat raw cherrystone clams at Jack's in Albany, NY downtown. We used to start with a NDOG on the rocks and move on to clams and scrod and beer. This was around 1980. I wonder if the experience can be recreated today, probably it can be, if I brought the bourbon. :)

Gary

For me, oysters are always associated with two of Canada's finest sculptors, whose works I had the good fortune to exhibit during my days as a contemporary art dealer. How so? The artists are George Sawchuk, from Fanny Bay, BC, and the late Jerry Pethick, from Hornby Island, BC, which is accessible by auto only by taking a ferry from Fanny Bay to Denman Island, driving to the other side of Denman, and then taking another ferry to Hornby Island.

The Fanny Bay oyster -- although no longer harvested only in Fanny Bay off Vancouver Island -- is one of my absolute favorite oysters. If Fanny Bays are on a menu, odds on, I am ordering them.

If you Google George Sawchuk, you will learn of this lumberjack of a man with a unitary and signature expression of the meaning of art in a full and satisfying life. No art school lightweight is he. You will also learn of his outdoor sculpture garden in Fanny Bay and the battles the art community undertook to save it from the municipal regulators.

If you Google Jerry Pethick, you will learn of the works by one of the true visionaries of the three dimensional world. It is difficult to describe in words the magic this man created from fresnel lenses, 35mm snapshot photographs developed at the corner drug store, simple primary color drawings, empty wine bottles, and found objects of all sorts, especially if they had some quirky refractive quality. He left a legacy for all of Canada and the world to treasure. This joyful spirit left us in the flesh some years ago, but he left for us all some of the most challenging sculptural works ever created. I carry to this day the marvelous memories of the days we spent assembling an extraordinary show of a half dozen of his monumental works, one of which remains in my personal collection thanks to the generosity of his widow and son.

So, my friends, talk of oysters returns me to Fanny Bay and Hornby Island and these lions of the art world, far from the urban fray. Fond memories of my Canadian friends resurface every time I enjoy Fanny Bays on the half shell.

I've never been there. However, I may have been to the one in downtown Long Beach. IIRC, it's on Pine at Broadway.

The Pine Avenue ambience may make you appreciate the one in the strip mall.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

King Fish House at Bella Terra?

While I have eaten at a Kings Fish House, I have not eaten Oysters on the Half Shell there. I have eaten them many times at Sam's Seafood in Seal Beach though. I love them too for some reason.

I just went to McCormich & Schmick's for dinner and we had a couple dozen oysters to start the meal off.

As much as I enjoy them raw, I think I like them better off the grill. I just let them poach in the shell, and when it pops open, they are done. A little shake of hot sauce and all is well.

I believe I've heard that oysters and high-proof spirits are not recommended. Something to do with the alcohol denaturing the proteins on the outside of the oyster and inhibiting proper digestion. :puke:

I have heard this too, and seen e.g., a caution expressed to this effect on at least one restaurant menu. Perhaps it is a question of the relative quantity of each, but why take chances?

A beer or glass of white wine - or a Coke iced - can do the job nicely.

Gary

King Fish House at Bella Terra?

While I have eaten at a Kings Fish House, I have not eaten Oysters on the Half Shell there. I have eaten them many times at Sam's Seafood in Seal Beach though. I love them too for some reason.

That's the one Mark, I'll have to try Sam's since it must be very close to me.

I believe I've heard that oysters and high-proof spirits are not recommended. Something to do with the alcohol denaturing the proteins on the outside of the oyster and inhibiting proper digestion. :puke:
I have heard this too, and seen e.g., a caution expressed to this effect on at least one restaurant menu. Perhaps it is a question of the relative quantity of each, but why take chances?

A beer or glass of white wine - or a Coke iced - can do the job nicely.

Gary

Hmm, I guess I'll have to consider that next time. I had 1 WT and 1 Knob Creek and didn't seem to have any issues but next time I'll just stick with a beer of some sort.

Christian,

I just checked the website of the only Sam's Seafood I remember (in Huntington Beach) and got quite a surprise.

Call before you make the drive.

In his younger days my kid had two favorites along PCH. Sam's for the billfish sign and Glide'er Inn (since renamed) for the huge model airplane suspended above it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Sam's was supposed to be completely changed in decor when they reopened it but enough people complained that they will apparently be keeping the Polynesian theme. I liked the kitsch of the place. I hope it still has that charm when they reopen.

• 3 weeks later...

Put on each oyster a teaspoon of Talisker wait for 10 minutes to swallow them and don`t worry `bout indigestion or bacteria, they will be dead by then:D :D .Eric.

I've loved 'em since I was a kid. The wife and I hit the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and slurp some down quite often.

I've been trying to verify the Old Wive's Tale, that I personally perpetuated, claiming that hard liquor and oysters is a bad combo.

Other than anecdotal notes, I can't find any corroborating evidence that this is a health hazard.

On the contrary, I've found info that supports that oyesters subject to alcohol are no more indigestible than eggs subject to heat, any pickled meat or chunks of any protein dropped into stomach acid.

The more I think about it, this is likely tribal knowledge passed down through the generations.

I say, drink and slurp and let your intestinal fortitude be your guide.

:skep:

With all due respect, regardless of health issues, I would stay with oysters and beer. IMHO, Oysters and hard liquor are not a good combo. I have tried them, an I believe the liquor overpowers the oysters, a very bad thing. To quote Jimmy Buffett:

"Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year, and I'll be fine, Yes I'll be fine."

Either A1A or Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes I can't remember.

I was at Theo Thudpuckers in Fort Pierce Florida on the Jetty a few years back and was introduced to Shooters [oyster + vodka + hot sauce and a couple other things I can't remember]. I really liked them and had about 5 or 6 when the bartender asked me if I was going for the record. I asked what the record was and he said 34. I declined the challenge. That is a lot of oysters and a lot of alcohol so I wonder if we are looking at a myth here. There are a lot of shooters being digested these days. I haven't heard of anyone dieing yet over this.

bj

I was at Theo Thudpuckers in Fort Pierce Florida on the Jetty a few years back and was introduced to Shooters [oyster + vodka + hot sauce and a couple other things I can't remember]. I really liked them and had about 5 or 6 when the bartender asked me if I was going for the record. I asked what the record was and he said 34. I declined the challenge. That is a lot of oysters and a lot of alcohol so I wonder if we are looking at a myth here. There are a lot of shooters being digested these days. I haven't heard of anyone dieing yet over this.

bj

Hmmm? I wonder why???? :lol:

Just kidding, With a wife who is a FL Gulf Cost native I have had my share of shooters. They can be fun but I find that the vodka just overwhelms the taste of the oyster. As for the other ingredients : horseradish, Tabasco, and other peppers with the cocktail sauce. I have also seen them made with just Louisiana Hot Sauce, Vodka, and a oyster.

Hmmm? I wonder why???? :lol:

Just kidding, With a wife who is a FL Gulf Cost native I have had my share of shooters. They can be fun but I find that the vodka just overwhelms the taste of the oyster. As for the other ingredients : horseradish, Tabasco, and other peppers with the cocktail sauce. I have also seen them made with just Louisiana Hot Sauce, Vodka, and a oyster.

I think that people who have the oyster shooters don't really care about the taste of the oysters. I would just rather have mine on the half shell or, occasionally, as an oyster cocktail.

Off topic, but last night I want to a small, strip mall Cajun restaurant. It was apparently authentic, because they were obviously big time LSU fans and I could hear the unaffected Cajun accents of a couple of the employees. I ordered a fried oyster platter and was served the best fried oysters I've had in at least 25 years!

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.