My brew schedule...

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have never backsweetened. I like crisp, dry cider, and don't like the Hornsby's/Woodchuck style. If you are going to force carbonate, though, it's easy enough to use potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast activity and reproduction. Then, just add sugar to taste.

I don't use any spices in my cider: the liquid yeast cultures actually draw out a bit of spice along with the natural fruit flavors. I do, however, make a cyser (mead/cider hybrid) every fall that's based on a recipe from Ken Schramm's The Compleat Meadmaker. In that, I use raisins and dates to enhance the apple flavor, and I'm considering using spices this fall. If you go to brewboard.com, and read through old threads, there are some good recommendations on spices and amounts to use in a variety of brews. Other good resources are the book I mentioned above and Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Both of these have extensive listings and descriptions of herbs and spices, their uses in brewing, and the amounts that you'll want to use. If you use, err on the side of using too little, as most "pie spices" can get overwhelming very quickly.

I'm on northernbrewer.com and read a lot of the threads posted there. I have a fairly good idea of how much to use when but I was just going to stick to brown sugar and ciniammon at first. I've never had 'real' cider and I'm not a big fan of champaign and at the same time I don't want the super sweet taste of a commercial cider. So....I'll be somewhere in between.

The upside of kegging is it's an easy way to batch condition without using a carboy. You can purge the O2 out and store away.

I'd use brown sugar to backsweeten only. You don't get much flavor from it (unless you use some unrefined sugar, such as piloncillo) once it's fermented. YMMV.

• 3 months later...

Just to let Jeff know...for xmas I'm going all grain. I picked up the BYO mag of 150 cloned beers and there some stuff in there that I want to try. I'm at the limits of what extract can do and i'm pulling the trigger. AG all the way!

If your'e still brewing, have you noticed the jump in hop prices??!! I've been stock piling the higher alpha acids (not crazy like though) so I can make a few big double IPA's in '08.

Can't wait to do my first AG Batch!!!

I'm going all grain

Way to go Phischy!!!

I found that once I was all grain, it was not about whacko grain bills and gimmicky adjuncts anymore, it's about you and the mash working together to _really_ make beer.

And you already a kegger, so you are gonna be da man.

Roger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.