Dalmore 12/Highland Park 12

ILLfarmboy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Dalmore 12 is one of my favorite scotches. I really like the heather/honey quality. It is priced quite reasonably and it suites me when I want something different than bourbon but aren't in the mood for something really peaty like Ardbeg.

Highland Park isn't carried by most liquor stores in my area. But recently I did spot a lone bottle of the 12 year (I passed because of the price). Having read a few reviews elsewhere and a few taste descriptions here, I get the impression the Dalmore is sort of a poor mans Highland park. I don't mean that as a slam just as a means of comparison. Is that an accurate description? How do the two compare?

I'd like to try the Highland Park 12, but when it comes to scotch buying/ trying something new, it is always such a hit or miss proposition I'm gun shy.

Having read a few reviews elsewhere and a few taste descriptions here, I get the impression the Dalmore is sort of a poor mans Highland park. I don't mean that as a slam just as a means of comparison. Is that an accurate description? How do the two compare?

Yes and no. Dalmore doesn't have as much smokiness or peat as Highland Park. The smoky character of HP is significantly different from an Islay malt. It is more heathery and carries less salt/iodine. That said, there are similarities: honey/heather as you mentioned, and a soft fruitiness that creeps in on the back of the tongue. HP is, I find, more rounded, slightly less sweet, and a bit bigger than Dalmore. I prefer it, and it only runs about $2 more a bottle at my favorite liquor store. I buy both, but I replace the HP more often.

By all means get the bottle! HP is a giant in my book, and while the 12yo or 18yo and older bottles go up in price exponentially, the 12yo is worth it. The complexities of heather and smoke, with mild sweeter flavors like cherries or dark fruit is carried in the glass like very few other Scotches. It's kinda like a Dalmore on steroids, but not in a negative way at all. It's big yet completely, incredibly balanced.

BTW how much is it going for? I have seen HP 12 anywhere from $48 to $33.

...it only runs about $2 more a bottle at my favorite liquor store. I buy both, but I replace the HP more often.

Wow! I only pay 28 dollars a bottle for Dalmore 12, but this store wanted 42 bux for the Highland Park 12.

Yeah, HP12 seems to be the most wildly fluctuating bottle of anything I've seen in terms of price. I get it for $29.95, but I've seen it for as much as $53 in a local store. Average price here seems to be about $36 or $38, which is still a good deal, IMO.

Wow! I only pay 28 dollars a bottle for Dalmore 12, but this store wanted 42 bux for the Highland Park 12.

The HP price sounds reasonable, but the Dalmore price sounds like a steal!

To answer your question, I found Highland Park so be much more complex, combining smoke with "coastal" flavours (salt, seaweed) and is a bit honeyed. Dalmore wasn't bad - seemed to me like a typical highand whisky with a smoky backbone and lots of body. Definatly different whiskies...

Michael Jackson the noted Whisky reviewer has called Highland Park "The Greatest all-rounder in the wold of malt whisky. Definitely in an island style, but combining all the elements of a classic single malt: smokiness (with its own heather-honey acent); maltiness; smoothness; depth, roundness and fullness of flavour; and length of finish - lovely any time. As a single malt, Highland Park develops to great ages. In blends, it is said to be a catalyst, bringing to great flavours of the other contributing malts."

I like the 18 which is about $55 at the moment around here.

My vote goes to Highland Park 12 everytime. I have the 12 & 18 on hand at all times. I have a Dalmore 12 and a Cigar Malt that just doesn't get much attention with all the other choice's I have. I will say that I am a Peat-Freak, so I tend to always go for the Islay (& Talsiker),but Single Malt and Blended scotch drinker that come over almost always go for the HP's. I say go for it!!!

At that price consider buying all you can afford or finance at a reasonable interest rate.

Compare prices here and here.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I know there is a wide range of prices on the 18 yo. Vermont has it for $50 while PA is about $75. Like anything else you gotta shop around.

I know there is a wide range of prices on the 18 yo. Vermont has it for $50 while PA is about $75. Like anything else you gotta shop around.

Indeed the Highland Park 18 seems to be priced all over the board.

I see it around Houston priced from $55 up to $95.

For current bottlings, Specs Liquors is the place for best prices - they list HP12 at $35, HP15 at $55, HP18 at $85 and HP25 at $283.

~tp

I'd like to try the Highland Park 12, but when it comes to scotch buying/ trying something new, it is always such a hit or miss proposition I'm gun shy.

FYI - I see Highland Park 12 year minis here in Houston all the time.

Just thought I'd let you know in the event you were looking for something... cough, cough... like that... cough, cough...

~tp

As others have indicated both 12 year olds are great pours for less than absurd single malt financing.

I tend to fire away and reload on the Dalmore12 at least 2 if not 3 to 1 in HP12 purchases, mainly because for what ever reason, TJ's has shelved the Dalmore 12 for $19.99 for years now ...and counting. That price alone keeps much of the rest of the discussion somewhat moot for me.

For current bottlings, Specs Liquors is the place for best prices - they list HP12 at $35, HP15 at $55, HP18 at $85 and HP25 at $283.

If you don't mind my asking, where in Houston have you seen HP18 for $55? I'd clean them out at that price.

I've never had the regular Dalmore 12 bottling, just the Superstition, which I didn't like at all. The smokiness was just too heavy-handed and self-conscious, if that makes any sense. The HP12 is one of my favorite whiskies.

A good sms between HP and the Dalmore would be Old Pulteney it has the heathery and salty tones of HP and the fruity peaty tones of the Dalmore.Goes well with a nice cigar too.Eric.

The HP12 is fantastic. A very nice, well balanced Whisky. Eventually I will get to the 15 and 18...hopefully one day the 25. Other bottles keep getting in the way.

A good sms between HP and the Dalmore would be Old Pulteney it has the heathery and salty tones of HP and the fruity peaty tones of the Dalmore.Goes well with a nice cigar too.Eric.

I like the Old Pulteney a great deal. The price is nice, too. Another one to try is Scapa, which is the other Orkney distillery besides HP. It has more heather and honey and less smoke than HP, and it's very enjoyable.

If you look a bit closer you'll see that he lists the HP 15 at $55 not the 18. Also, AFAIK, Superstion is a Jura and not a Dalmore.

If you don't mind my asking, where in Houston have you seen HP18 for $55? I'd clean them out at that price.

I've never had the regular Dalmore 12 bottling, just the Superstition, which I didn't like at all. The smokiness was just too heavy-handed and self-conscious, if that makes any sense. The HP12 is one of my favorite whiskies.

If you look a bit closer you'll see that he lists the HP 15 at $55 not the 18. Also, AFAIK, Superstion is a Jura and not a Dalmore.

No. Read what he posted more carefully.

You're right about the Superstition. I meant the Cigar Malt.

Ahhh, yes I see. He mentioned the HP 18 for $55 in general and then got specific with prices from Specs. My bad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.