BOTM, 7/07: Blanton's

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does this differ between each BT single barrel brand or do you mean haphazard variations?

Both -- they try to use staves from a variety of trees/sources in each barrel (although I believe one of BT's experiments is 'single-tree barrels' -- I kid you not!), so each will be somewhat different. But, also each brand uses a particular level of char.

Both -- they try to use staves from a variety of trees/sources in each barrel (although I believe one of BT's experiments is 'single-tree barrels' -- I kid you not!), so each will be somewhat different. But, also each brand uses a particular level of char.

OK, thanks for that interesting info. "Single-tree barrels" sounds intriguing. I gather that is an experiment that has yet to see the light of day?

The level of char for each brand, is that info available somewhere here on SB.com?

Had my first taste of Blanton's tonight. Very smooth, yet complex. I like this bourbon alot. Thanks for the selection of a great BOTM.

Sipping on a little Straight From The Barrel right now. I love this stuff, a splash of water and I find it wonderful! One great thing about Blanton's is all the variations in proof available. I am sure I have said this before of others, but Blanton's to me is the quintessential bourbon.

I also have an open bottle of Gold that is great as well, and the regular label has never disappointed me in a bar! I'd really like to taste some of the older bottlings of this some of the Texas members have spoke about; hopefully Randy and the others will post some notes.....

• 1 month later...

I have had the pleasure of tasting two different bottles of Blantons, at one sitting. They were bottled 8 years apart.

One was quite nice, smooth, very complex flavors but nicely blended. The other was hugely smoky!!. There were other flavors but the smokiness almost overwhelmed them. If that had been the only bottle to have been tasted, I would have shunned the brand for quite a while.

• 1 month later...

Blanton's might be one of the top Bourbon's in the world. IThe flavor is excellent and the pour is complex, however in stages, this being its onlty drawback.

Blanton's was the brand that introduced me to "collecting" bourbon instead of just savoring it -- found lots of personally-tagged bottles with racehorse stoppers in a shot bar in Kyoto, Japan and decided to see what the fuss was about -- I was impressed and brought a bottle home (before discovering which local stores were likely to carry it.) I *will* say that Japan has the States beat hands down in price and availability: "White" (original), Green (lower proof), Silver (higher proof), Gold (older?) and Straight From The Barrel, ranging from $20-40(!!) They used to have Black too, but I haven't seen it lately.

I agree with those who find it scotch-like, and I serve it my SMSW-drinking friends. I didn't love the most recent bottle as much as the first -- risks of a single-barrel. The first Blanton's Gold that I tried had the strongest corn oil nose of any bourbon I've even tasted -- a newer bottle is somewhat harsh on the throat.

At ~$40/bottle in the East, it's a good bar pour, but I find other bourbons to be a better value. (I did bring a SFTB home from a recent trip to compare with my Staggs but haven't broken the seal yet.)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!