Publicker / Continental Dstilling / Brands

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I got out some of my more rare Continental Distilling bottles and looked closely and on the Back of my Stillbrook Corn whiskey bottle it says distilled at #2 Pekin IL bottled at American Distilling Corp Linfield Pa so that tells me there is no doubt that Publicker owned American Distilling as I had said in my last letter. Also my Midwest Corn whiskey bottle says Continental Distilling Phila Pa and Midwest was another American Distillery Product. I do not know when they bought American but I read it was sold early 1980 and that is when Publicker sold all its Drinking Alcohol Plants and stills. They tried running just Industrial Stuff but were to deep in debt and went out. Also when I walked through the abandon Kinsey Plant one time I saw a couple of old ripped up Guckenheimer Cases that said American Distilling Linfield Pa! I am going to give a part of a list of some of the brands they made they had over 112 + but I have 50 of them on my list

1. Linfield Bourbon

2. Sweepstakes Blended whiskey

3.Kinsey Silver & Gold Blended Whiskey, rye & Gin

4.Planters Club Bourbon

5.Embassy Club Whiskey

6.Cobbs Creek Whisky

7.Hallers County Fair Bourbon

8. Rittenhouse Rye which was sold to Heaven Hill when they left the Whisky bussiness

9.Dixie Belle Gin

10.Diplomat whiskey,Gin,and Vodka

11.MacArthur's Scotch

12.Kulov Vodka

13.Glen Mavis Scotch

14 Stillbrook Corn whiskey

15.Meadwood Whiskey

16.Midwest Corn Whiskey

17.Canaadian Host Whiskey was brought in by them

18.King James Scotch

19Semkov Vodka

20. Old Colony Gin

21.James Martin VVO Scotch was imported in by them

22.Pinwinnie Scotch imported only by them then

23.Neshaminy Rye Whiskey

24.Keystone State Rye Whiskey

25.Biggest seller Old Hickory

26. second biggest seller InverHouse Scotch.

27. Old Classic Whiskey

28.Phila blended Whiskey

29.Charter Oak Whiskey

30. Governors Club Whiskey

31. Bankers Club Gin under the Name Regent Distillers

and I have 29 more and there are very many I do not know as they were the world Biggest Maker of drinking Alcohol. Thursday night I got out a full bottle of Inver House Scotch I bought from the man I got the half of a Half gallon Of Old Hickory from and had a shot it was fine after 30+ years of never being open it was good but could never compare to the Smooth taste of the Old hickory which I will be having a shot of on my 60th Birthday in Sept. They are now talking aobut tearing down what is left of Kinsey Distillery and putting a trash to steam plant there what a sad ending to the history of a great company.

Dave z

There is an interesting article in the current issue of Malt Advocate about Inver House, which is a Scottish whiskey producer that was started by Publicker in the 1960s. When Publicker went under, Inver House was spun off via management buyout. They are doing well today, a little bit of living legacy of Publicker.

Thanks for the Information on Inver House it was their second biggest seller. I remember one time being called to the old Kinsey Bottle house they were starting it up to do a big order for Jaquins they could not keep up with their orders so got Publicker to make some for them using Publickers Alcohol. Where can you buy the Magzine with the artical? Had a shot of 30+ years old Inver House on Thursday bought a full bottle when I bought my half full bottle of Old Hickory from a man who lives near me.

Dave

Check the Malt Advocate web site. It is in the current issue, which is Volume 16, Number 3, Third Quarter 2007. If you can't find anything about how to order individual issues, email them and ask.

I recommend Malt Advocate and WHISKY Magazine. Neither one has enough American whiskey content, but you should subscribe and then clamor for more.

• 5 months later...

Ha! I See My Old Favorite On Your List...meadwood. I've Been Searching For A Bottle Just To Have For A Keepsake But Have Been Unsuccessful. Know Where I Can Find One? Amosan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When will the rest of the list be up? I need to go back and read your other posts on Publiker. Thanks

I don't think anyone ever bought the Meadwood brand when they went under. I never had any Meadwood myself but do have an empty Bottle!

Dave

Sorry do not know that one but I know one thing they made great stuff and in the old days the Steers enjoyed the mash afterward! Be Well!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Dave, do you have any knowledge on the mashbills they used?

Hi Looked through some old Papers from Continental I have and the ratio for their Bourbon was stated as 60/40 if that is any help to you.

Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.