Teacher's

jinenjo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The peatiness comes from Ardmore which is something unusual unto itself....a peated highland, not an Islay.

Well, I will be in decending voice here- I find it dull, with little body, and basically fodder for mixing..For my money, Whitehorse is a much better blend for about the same price, with a slighly stronger Islay influence.

• 1 month later...

Murray gives Teacher's 90 pts. in his latest 2008 Whiskey Bible. Here are his scores of the old standby NAS blends:

Grant's 94

Clan MacGregor 92

White Horse 92

Black Bottle 91

Buchanan's Red Seal 90

Inver House Green Plaid 90

J&B Rare 90

Teacher's 90

Black & White 88

Cutty Sark 88

Ballantine's 87

Famous Grouse 87

Johnnie Walker Red 84

Dewar's White Label 83

Usher's Green Stripe 83

Passport 82

Bell's 75

Lauder's 74

Scoresby 69

100 Pipers 67

Murray gives Teacher's 90 pts. in his latest 2008 Whiskey Bible. Here are his scores of the old standby NAS blends:

Grant's 94

Clan MacGregor 92

White Horse 92

Black Bottle 91

Buchanan's Red Seal 90

J&B Rare 90

Teacher's 90

Black & White 88

Cutty Sark 88

Ballantine's 87

Famous Grouse 87

Johnnie Walker Red 84

Dewar's White Label 83

Usher's Green Stripe 83

Passport 82

Bell's 75

Lauder's 74

Scoresby 69

100 Pipers 67

Ironically, a friend of mine received a bottle of Grant's purchased in England, and we could not believe how good it was and for the price paid. It was so good that he didn't leave it here at the house where we usually have a Scotch/Whiskey night. Thanks for the list as it confirms our taste findings about Grants, although I would put Famous Grouse above Ballentines....

Apparently, Grant's and Clan MacGregor are both blended by the same blender at William Grant & Sons. Murray calls this blender "probably the world's most naturally gifted blender." Murray says that Teachers is a "massive" improvement over the 2005 bottlings.

I've never had Grant's or Clan MacGregor but based on the high scores they deserve a second look.

I recall my first youthful whiskey experience...Passport Scotch...at some party...not a good result!

Grant's 94

Clan MacGregor 92

White Horse 92

Black Bottle 91

Buchanan's Red Seal 90

J&B Rare 90

Teacher's 90

Black & White 88

Cutty Sark 88

Ballantine's 87

Famous Grouse 87

Johnnie Walker Red 84

Dewar's White Label 83

Usher's Green Stripe 83

Passport 82

Bell's 75

Lauder's 74

Scoresby 69

100 Pipers 67

That White Horse looks interesting - for a cheapie. He's got it a a hair higher than Black Bottle which seems to be pretty respected.

What does NAS stand for, by the way?

William Grant's Ale Cask is an interesting blend as well. Beer-flavoured whisky! Not very complex, but for the price it's hard to go wrong.

That White Horse looks interesting - for a cheapie. He's got it a a hair higher than Black Bottle which seems to be pretty respected.

White horse is my favorite cheap blend-usually under $13...Its has a good Islay Character, for years was young Lagavulin has been its heart, with the prices of Lagvaulin, who knows, could be Caol Ila as well, in all likelyhood. More malt character than you would expect from both a cheap blend and a peaty blend at that...

As for Teacher's- Murray and I are not on the same page on this one..I find it thin and dull..

• 2 weeks later...
Murray gives Teacher's 90 pts. in his latest 2008 Whiskey Bible. Here are his scores of the old standby NAS blends ...

Teacher's today is not NAS, but is only a surprising three years old. I'm not sure how long that's been the case, but I find it not obviously young.

It's one of my standard middle shelf scotch pours, along with Grant's, White Horse, and occasionally Black and White. I rotate what I keep in my decanter just to keep things interesting.

The back label of the Teacher's I just emptied into the decanter says "Imported by Wm Teacher & Sons Ltd. Deerfield, IL."

It is 86 proof and has been all along, as far as I can recall, so Murray is wrong on that account.

Jeff

Jeff, you are quite right about Murray's listing Teacher's as 80 proof in his book. I also just noticed that Murray has his highly rated Clan MacGregor blend as 86 proof. I have only seen it in 80 proof here in Texas.

Teacher's today is not NAS, but is only a surprising three years old. I'm not sure how long that's been the case, but I find it not obviously young.

It's one of my standard middle shelf scotch pours, along with Grant's, White Horse, and occasionally Black and White. I rotate what I keep in my decanter just to keep things interesting.

The back label of the Teacher's I just emptied into the decanter says "Imported by Wm Teacher & Sons Ltd. Deerfield, IL."

It is 86 proof and has been all along, as far as I can recall, so Murray is wrong on that account.

Jeff

I really like Teacher's for a blend. I am fairly new to whisky and feel like I have a good nose and taste for it, especially SMS. Anyways, how is White Horse compared to Teacher's? I have seen White Horse at my local store and have been curious about it. I really like whiskies from the Islay region of scotland, Ardbeg, Laphroaig etc.

Thanks

how is White Horse compared to Teacher's? I have seen White Horse at my local store and have been curious about it. I really like whiskies from the Islay region of scotland, Ardbeg, Laphroaig etc.

Then I think you'll like White Horse. It has more smokey depth, albeit with less finesse, perhaps, followed with a smokey sweetness on the finish. I like it, and having just finished a big tot of lovely Ardbeg 10 yo ncf, I'm thinking that I need to lay in a bottle of White Horse, even though I have a 2/3 full decanter of Teacher's.

And then I really like to keep Grant's on hand as well.

And then there's bourbon.

And rye.

And homebrew.

And wine.

And my liver.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some White Horse and Grants Family Reserve last week. The White Horse is very good indeed! Grant's I have not had yet. I still like Teacher's a bit better than White Horse, but it's close

Jeff, I also picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 recently. Each sip is a new adventure. So complex for a young scotch. The finish lasts about 2 hours. Murray gave it his highest rating and his whisky of the year award. I won't argue with him.

Steve

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.