BOTM 8/07: Van Winkle 12yo Lot "B"

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, It's been about 6 months since we last visited Casa Van Winkle™ in the BOTM club, and our members are jonesing for more. This month let's take a close look at a staple of the VW collection: The 12yo Lot "B".

Though the source of the whiskey may have changed, Julian and Preston have once again delivered a quality product deserving of the compliments it receives. Some have even said that they prefer the new version over past iterations, but we're not naming names.

Discussion is open to all manner and style of this bourbon, even the increasingly rare "Van Blankle." Let us know what you prefer!

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

I'm on record as describing the 'Van Blankle' Lot B as second to none, most prominently here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39648&postcount=1

I'm also recorded stating I find a recognizable difference between the original S-W versions and the current Bernheim-distilled bottlings, preferring the former, while still appreciating the latter.

The vicissitudes of its universal $10 price jump 12-18 months ago, and my deliberate effort at shelf-clearing, leave me with only the last quarter of an open Van Blankle by which to revisit the Lot B currently. I'll muddle through.

I'm noting a bit of white walnut (butternut) tonight that I've never recognized in this before, but it is not bitter like many nut-shell essences can be, and thus is not in the least disquieting. Interesting.

Alas, I have not seen any of this on a shelf(even in KY!) in a while, and my last bottle of L'burg is reserved for comparison with BT-distilled stock, when it comes online. This leaves me with nothing but memories for the time being...and damn plesant memories they are...the ones of Van Blankle are especially warm.

I've only seen this 1x on any shelf here in San Diego, and I bought it. Talk about good timing! This weekend I'll have to give this a go. Although, what (If any) markings on the label will mark this as a S-W bottling? It was next to 2 bottles of GTS '06 so this may have been sitting on the shelf about a year.

Well, It's been about 6 months since we last visited Casa Van Winkle in the BOTM club, and our members are jonesing for more. This month let's take a close look at a staple of the VW collection: The 12yo Lot "B".

Though the source of the whiskey may have changed, Julian and Preston have once again delivered a quality product deserving of the compliments it receives. Some have even said that they prefer the new version over past iterations, but we're not naming names.

Discussion is open to all manner and style of this bourbon, even the increasingly rare "Van Blankle." Let us know what you prefer!

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

If it says "Van Winkle" on the label... it's damn good whiskey! End of meaningful discussion / distinction.

If Julian and Preston are doin' the pickin'... I'm doin' the drinkin'.

I opened my first bottle of Lot B last month, (wow man, I'm a month ahead), I posted that it was one classy bottle of whiskey.

I am half way thru the bottle now and I will repeat,...

This is one classy bottle of whiskey.

I've only seen this 1x on any shelf here in San Diego, and I bought it. Talk about good timing! This weekend I'll have to give this a go. Although, what (If any) markings on the label will mark this as a S-W bottling? It was next to 2 bottles of GTS '06 so this may have been sitting on the shelf about a year.

hmm....didn't figure Lot B to be difficult to find. Here in VA is fairly plentiful. Now I'm thinking I may have to go out and scope out the local ABC's to see if it is indeed getting low in supply. I have one bottle in bunker and just polished off a bottle. Me thinks adding a bottle or two is a good idea. :Clever:

Ok, so I went bourbon hunting for the first time. 1st store was a bust, but here in so cal I saw #2 and #3 of the stuff. Hanging out 'with the boys' and hoping to turn them onto the good stuff, I opened and shared. Mind you, this is my spare bottle, another one "in the bunker". Nose of caramel and then a lot of spice. which I love, the guys, didn't.

Now, I'm a big fan of KC....I detected a very spicy intial hit, followed by a clean finish. very much in what I look for. I'll probably go buy the 3rd bottle. In San Diego this stuff is apparently a little on the rare side. Bevmo does not carry it, and most small shops don't either. So for $40 a bottle it's worth it for the bunker.

This entire tasting is under the influence of a night of San Diego Pale Ales (aka the double IPA).

If it says "Van Winkle" on the label... it's damn good whiskey! End of meaningful discussion / distinction.

Must say I see it totally different than you John. I did have a side by side a week or 2 ago with the Lawrenceburg and the Frankfurt version of the 10 year 107 proof. I can agree that both are very good bourbon but the taste and especially the stile are very, very different from eat other. Personally I think the Frankfurt (Bernheim) version is considerably better. And of cause as I am Swedish I want to know what I am drinking.

Leif

This entire tasting is under the influence of a night of San Diego Pale Ales (aka the double IPA).

SDPA :woohoo: :woohoo: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I think that the SDPA is one of the greatest accomplishment of the USA Micro-movement.

Just the choice of Breweries and Brewpubs in SD makes me want to move there. Pizza Port(both), Port Brewing -Lost Abbey, Alesmith, Stone, Green Flash, Alpine Beer, Ballast Point,.......so many. Send me some growlers.

Hey Joe, the "Van Blankle" was bottled in September '04 in Frankfort. It was from a barrel I selected that summer distilled at Old Fitz in March '92. In hindsight, I should have bought several barrels!

It produced 17 cases. Only two cases left. It will make an appearance at this years Fest once again.

It is rich caramel without being too sweet. And lots of pie spice to me (which I have noted in other Lot B's).....someone once described it as pumpkin pie spice which I think is accurate. I also get cotton candy in the middle. I would characterize it as a silky, creamy almost ethereal style versus the in-your-face style you might find in a heavily ryed bourbon at 12yo.

Of Julian's current non-SW bottlings, I may actually prefer the 10yo/107 slightly to the Lot B but enjoy them both. Neither are easy to find right now in Houston.

Randy

I finally opened the bottle of Lot B that I recently purchased. As a recent purchase, it may be Bernheim stock.

Whatever its provenance, it is mighty fine stuff. I had a pour of it, and I'm now working on a pour of a 2007-purchased Pappy 15 for comparison. The profile is pretty similar (honey/vanilla/spice), with the PVW 15 being a bit spicier and the Lot B more honeyed. Both have very satisfying finishes, too.

One mystery on both the Lot B and the PVW 15: some numbers in the lower right corner of the Lot B label, and the lower left of the PVW label.

Lot B: 04.6081

PVW 15: 04.6071.01

They have no relationship to the UPC numbers. It's easy to assume that 04 is the bottling year, but that may be far from the case.

In hindsight, I"m going to have to revisit this soon w/o a solid day of drinking beer. SDPA's are strong enough to ruin your palet due to the insane amount of hops and I do not recall an honey flavors.

On the SDPA's, yes they're awesome and also the reason I prefer bourbon over sctoch, I like the big profiles. It was actually the head brewer at the Brooklyn Brewery who suggested first the DIPA should be called the SDPA, but mention that on a brewing forum and they grab the pitchforks.

It's also interesting that I've never seen a bottle of PVW 15. I don't know what the deal is, but via reading this board I sure know what to grab now when I do see it! I may have a pour w/ a friend off the Lot B tonight.

Hey Joe, the "Van Blankle" was bottled in September '04 in Frankfort. It was from a barrel I selected that summer distilled at Old Fitz in March '92. In hindsight, I should have bought several barrels!

It produced 17 cases. Only two cases left. It will make an appearance at this years Fest once again.

It is rich caramel without being too sweet. And lots of pie spice to me (which I have noted in other Lot B's).....someone once described it as pumpkin pie spice which I think is accurate. I also get cotton candy in the middle. I would characterize it as a silky, creamy almost ethereal style versus the in-your-face style you might find in a heavily ryed bourbon at 12yo.

Of Julian's current non-SW bottlings, I may actually prefer the 10yo/107 slightly to the Lot B but enjoy them both. Neither are easy to find right now in Houston.

Randy

Randy-- I had a taste of yours at Koji's bar in Japan a couple years back and agree with the spice description (I also got that in the 2002 Sazerac 18 the same night!)

Still have some of the older Lot B at home to try this weekend...

I'm planning on seeing Koji this fall on my way to Australia. Hopefully he will share a pour with me too. I think I gave/traded two bottles to him.

Randy

It was my good fortune to have Lot B as my first taste of any Van Winkle product. Although that has changed, I always come back to it.

I have it bunkered and have enjoyed 2 bottles of it. I started out with a snifter, but like it best with just one cube in a low ball.

I had a pour of Lot B last night. I think I forgot just how good this stuff is.

Joe :usflag:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say that I've ever had a VW bourbon that I did not greatly enjoy, but for the price this is my favorite. I love the 20 yr, but in light of the price difference I do not drink it as often.

It is very rare for me to see a bottle of Lot B on a shelf in Delaware or northern MD, so I normally order it through a friend with a liquour store and buy a case at a time.

Scarorough

Welcome, this is going to be my college football bourbon. I little taste on Friday night before the game and Saturday evening when I get home. I have a nice carry over from lat year taste left and will compare it to a freshly open bottle. Since I'm off work on Friday, I think I'll have to do this Thursday night. Anyway I light the 90 proof stuff.

Will

I've been out of this one for a while, and I really miss it. The ole Lot B is one of my favorite products, period.

There was not discernible difference between the remains from a bottle of Lot B opened last year at this time and a bottle freshly opened this evening. I hope I will have as much enjoyment drinking this years bottle as I did last year.

I'm wondering, should I also a bottle of PVW 15 to help with the Saturday evenings enjoyment?

Well I finally picked up "LOT B" tonight on the last day of the month. Grand Slam this is darn good Whiskey. I all these years I never heard nor noticed a Van Winkle product on the shelf. Thanks to the Cable TV show Three Sheets> I have been enlightened. That is also how I stumpled on this website researching Pappy Van Whinkle. So cheers to ya :drink:

This is my first bottle of lot B, but it won't be my last (unless I can't find anymore). I got rich English toffee, smoke, and wood (in that order). I don't have any 15 to compare it with so I compared it with 20. The 20 is smoother, richer, more body, and more wood. Easy to tell they are related however. As someone said earlier, if it's Van Winkle it's got to be good. I'll try to get some 15 and compare - however the price for lot B is a lot less than 15 (although not as much difference as between 15 and 20).

Randy, I''m looking forward to trying some of your Van Blankle at the gazebo. I never even heard of it until this thread.

Stu

This is my first bottle of lot B...I compared it with 20. The 20 is smoother, richer, more body, and more wood. Easy to tell they are related however.

Stu, unless you have an old bottle of the Lot B then you're comparing a Bernheim (Lot B) to a S/W (20 yo), which, in my opinion, is a different flavor alltogehter.

Either way, you're right if it's VW then it's got to be at the very least good. Though, I'm not a big fan of the Lot B but it's still good.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!