What can't you get here?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As a bit of a diversion from the main discussion, gothbat made observed something that I've seen others call attention to: in Japan there are several older releases that are unavailable here, some as old as 25 years.

These might not be something to get too worked up about, however. Dave (dgonano) was telling some of us that a reliable source (not sure if it was ok to say who) told him some of these older barrels that just aren't that good are sent to overseas markets and sold as these off-brands.

As for your main point, Chuck, I think the resistance you're getting is you are questioning the sanity of our collective madness. We're not crazy, just very dedicated. :smiley_acbt: Heh.

As a bit of a diversion from the main point Chuck is making, gothbat made a point that I've seen others raise: in Japan there are several older releases that are unavailable here, some as old as 25 years.

These might not be something to get too worked up about, however. I think it was Dave (dgonano) who was telling some of us that a reliable source (not sure if it was ok to say who) told him some of these older barrels that just aren't that good are sent to overseas markets and sold as these off-brands.

As for your main point, Chuck, I think the resistance you're getting is you are questioning the sanity of our collective madness. We're not crazy, just very dedicated. :smiley_acbt: Heh.

I'm not sure I would refer to them as off brands, but for the most part they are brands that aren't distillery bottlings (with a couple exceptions, HH 25 and 28 yo, etc). Some may not be good, or at least not fit everyone's palate, but they are an expression of bourbon that you don't get to try very often, which does make them hold some interest.

Like anything else, your approach to them or what you think they are going to be will influence your experience with them...if you are expecting the most mind-blowing dram you've ever tasted, you're likely to be disappointed, but if you are expecting far, far worse, you just might be pleasantly surprised.

My angle on this thread is a little different. My State (WA) just does not carry some of the bottles I would like to try, and they are bottles that are available in other States. I don't know the way the "system" works, but I hope to stop in to my liquor store next week and get a little education. . . .

As a fellow Washingtonian, let me just plead that if you succeed in getting educated, let me know! I was in 'old #101' (the state's best stocked liquor store, south of downtown Seattle) this afternoon. I asked if they had any info on any possible GT Stagg showing up this fall. No one had ever heard of it and wasn't about to start now. I do see on the on-line inventory that there is exactly 750ml of any BTAC in the state - a bottle of Weller in Spokane, but an 8hr round trip seems a bit much even if it was really there! (101 does have some EC18, plenty of EWSB, and, if you care, the Ardbeg trifecta). Happy hunting!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.