Weller Antique vs. ORVW 10/107

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last month, I did a side by side of these same two bottles. I gave the thumbs up to the ORVW 10/107. It just out classed the Weller 107.

Each on its own without the side by side, is fine.

For the past 3 years, I buy as many ORVW 10/107 as I can my hands on. When they are gone for the year, I buy the Weller 107.

Here in Colorado Springs, the WA is 32.00 for a 1.5l, while the ORVW 107 is 29.00 a 750. But they are different, I prefer the ORVW even though it's more of a price difference; I just drink it less. But the WA still is one of my everyday pours

P.S. By the way, is the guy who chooses the barrels for Weller Antique some sort of shmuck? Let's give credit where credit is due, as good as Julian is at picking his barrels, the person who does the same for Weller, ain't too bad either.

..I...think the word you really meant to use is not "shmuck", but "maven".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/schmuck

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/maven

I have been reading this thread for a while now and I went out today and got both bottles.

No. I8784 on the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yo 107

No identifying info on the Old Weller Antique 107

Looks like I have work to do now in comparing for myself.

I think I am up to it.

I have been reading this thread for a while now and I went out today and got both bottles.

No. I8784 on the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yo 107

No identifying info on the Old Weller Antique 107

Looks like I have work to do now in comparing for myself.

I think I am up to it.

Oscar, how did things work out? I'm very interested in knowing.

To fine tune my points. I think the ORVW 10/107 has a better overall flavor than the Antique. However, the burn is emense to me while the Antique is quite smooth.

Overall, the ORVW 10/107 is my favorite VW product. Actually, I just realized this upon tasting the PVW15.

Time to weigh in. ORVW 10-107 is a superb drink but Weller Antique is a hell of a lot cheaper and not that inferior. I'll take the Weller for the money (every time).

Joe :usflag:

Time to weigh in. ORVW 10-107 is a superb drink but Weller Antique is a hell of a lot cheaper and not that inferior. I'll take the Weller for the money (every time).

Joe :usflag:

Joe, that's been my bone of contention with ORVW 10/107. In my area, ORVW 10/107 is $26.99 - $29.99 while Antique is anywhere from $18.99 - $22.99. To me, that's an overwhelming difference and I'm not really getting that much more for the spread (just an additional three years).

I haven't done a side-by-side of the two. And after reading this thread for the past few days I went out and picked up my first of a Weller Antique. It's certainly a very decent pour, yet comparing it to my only bottle of ORVW 10/207, dated from early 2000's, I'd have to side with the Old Rip. Given that it's only approx. $6 more it's worth it.

I missed out on a more recent purchase of ORVW so perhaps it's changed a bit.

I tend to prefer the more leathery, wood-influenced style, which clearly shows up more in the Old Rip.

That said, the OWA is quite the nice daily pour.

To me they're different creatures.

I'll take the Weller for value. Darn good stuff and and often overlooked, at least in my area.

Squire

• 2 weeks later...

For the heck of it, tonight I decided to do a side-by-side of the Antique and ORVW. Having never done this, I figured I'd officially - at least in my mind - figure out which had the fuller/better flavor. And...

the ORVW won out.

Still, though, I will purchase a lot more Weller Antique than ORVW but that's not a bad thing. Both are very good bourbons. And, as much as I've complained about ORVW 10/107's price, it's still a good value for what lies inside.

The big question will always be, is it worth the extra $8-&10? Yes, once in a while it is.

Regarding the Van Winkle line as whole, to me the 10/107 is the best, not just for value, but the best bourbon in its line, overall.

If I had to rate them soley on flavor, here's how it would go:

ORVW 10/107

PVW 15

PVW 20

PVW 23

Lot B

Now, if I took in consideration price and flavor, my list changes slightly:

ORVW 10/107 $28.99

PVW 15 $44.99

PVW 20 $89.99

Lot B $42.99

PVW 23 $249.99

My feeling is, why purchase the Lot B or PVW 23 at all?! The former is at a strange price point, in my area anyway ($42.99) and the latter is much too expensive.

So, why purchase a Lot B when you can either get a 10/107 (only two years younger) for $14 less or get a 15/107 (three years older) for only $2 more!!!!

And, why purchase a 23 when you get the 20 soooo much cheaper it's not even funny!!!!

Just my $1.50.:grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.