Lucid Absinthe

sku
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Informative article:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html

"[Q]uality absinthe, properly distilled, does have a different effect over and above the results of alcohol, though at up to 70%, the effects of the alcohol alone can be considerable. Absinthe's effects, despite popular conception, are not due to the wormwood (Artemisia Absinthia) alone. Absinthe's constituents consist of a very delicate balance of various herbs, most of which contribute in one way or another to its intoxicating effects. [Chemist and absinthe expert] Ted Breaux once explained it that it is a push-me, pull-you effect of the various herbs, as some are of an heightening effect, and others are lowering. The effect on the individual is subjective, and can best be described as a kind of heightened clarity of mind and vision, mildly ponderous and sparkling, and warmed by the effect of the alcohol. This seems to wear off after 20 or 30 minutes, leaving one with an alcohol buzz. 2-3 glasses seems to do the trick. More than that, depending on the proof of the alcohol, will just make you very drunk.

But saying all that, 'secondary effects' seem to be quite subjective. Some have never felt them at all. Some say one brand works for them, others another. Many absintheurs ... have placed absinthe's 'effects' low on their priority list when it comes to judging modern commercial absinthes, preferring to focus on actual herbal constituents, manufacture and historical detail."

Also: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/

I have one of those Polish bitters absinthes mentioned. It is quite bitter indeed. I understand it is used in different ways, one of which is to place a shot in a glass of lager beer. I have never drunk enough absinthe to be able to tell if it has the famous "special" qualities, I use it in Sazeracs only.

Gary

Sambuca to me is easier to drink than ouzo (and I am Greek). Its WAY sweeter and less harsh than ouzo, most people in Greece cut their ouzo with water or drink it on the rocks.

Absinthe definitely has some anise taste, but is more herbal than both ouzo and sambuca. Sambuca is by far the sweetest!

These types of liqours make for a pleasant diversion from the usual...I sip a little Sambucca in the summer once in a while...seems to be more of a warm weather drink. Like may other liqours...they can easily sneak up on you! I would never want to have an overindulgence episode...I love licorice too much to be sick of the smell!

I am half Italian and my mom would add a secret ingredient of a little anise to her sauce...maybe I will try a shot of Sambucca instead!

I will have to find a good Absinthe...it would make a nice but odd addition to the liqour cabinet.

In October, 2007, the TTB issued a statement on absinthe, I don't know how to upload it here. It is on their website and can be easily found by searching "TTB + absinthe". It refers to the maximum 10 ppm of thujone I mentioned.

Gary

Gary,

You have mentioned the government testing referring to PPM a couple of times. You are correct in that the US Government will limit the amount of Thujone to 10ppm and it will be considered by the US government as Thujone Free.

You may have noticed that I said the government will limit the amount of Thujone to 10 MG/KG which is the same thing as PPM. I am not trying to confuse anyone.

To convert MG/KG (Weight) or MG/L (Volume) to PPM you multiply either times 1.

10PPM (10/1000000)=0.00001

10MG/KG (0.010/1000)=0.00001

Thanks Tracy, I assumed that and just wanted to state it as I had read it, it's an interesting statement from TTB in general.

I think probably in the old days absinthe was made in many different ways, as today, and probably some had very little thujone and some had more.

It is a drink with an unusual history and in fact mystique. Thanks again for the information you found.

Gary

My pleasure Gary. Yes it is an interesting statment from the TTB.

Here is the link BTW for those that may want to read the TTB Policy statement.

What was your dilution rate? I went 3:1 (water:absinthe) last night. It was quite nice. I'd imagine 2:1 would also be good. I wouldn't have wanted it more diluted than it was, I think (though I understand historically 4:1 or so would have even been acceptable...not that I feel compelled to "obey" any unwritten code from days gone by:rolleyes::grin:). The bitterness is pleasant, as in a moderately hopped beer.

My second round was about 3:1, while I guesstimate that my first try was something on the order of 5:1. I like it better at 3:1. I didn't use sugar in either case, but a 5:1 with sugar might have worked better than 5:1 without.

• 2 months later...

Actually no, It is a pic of "Abstshof Magdedeburg" Absinthe 66 from Germany.

Ah ok, I was wondering if the Lucid turns the milky color like it should when water is added. Obviously this absinthe does!

Here's a pic of the Lucid louche.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2007/12/blind-date-with-green-fairy.html

Since trying Lucid, which was good, I have tried one Absinthe I like better, St. George Absinthe from St. George distillery in Alameda, California. Pictures of that one are here:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-wish-they-all-could-be-california.html

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.