What Is New In Bourbon Culture Post-1995?

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I remember asking on the HH tour, "At what age does the bourbon become (generally) undrinkable?" The guide guide quickly responded. "Never, it just gets better and better..."

Well, when the age of the bourbon surpasses mine (don't ask), I'm quitting and switching to prune juice....

An interesting discussion of tasting notes and vocabulary. I think there's a component of the tasting notes culture that is based on connoisseurship, but I also think in a way tasting notes are true to the spirit of the Walker Percy quote in my signature line. If a given bourbon sparks a taste memory or invokes a smell or feeling from childhood, if it momentarily transports the drinker to a different time or place, then pure connoisseurship is not the only goal or result of consumption...

I would add to the excellent ideas discussed already a renewed interest in classic cocktails. The arisal of a cocktail revival of sorts at high-end bars, particularly in San Francisco and New York, must be at least partially credited with rye's return to prominence. Conversely, the renewed interest in American whiskey history has reminded us of great drinks now relegated to the fringes of bar culture (or lost altogether): not just the Manhattan and the Sazerac, but also the Seelbach, rock and rye, and other classic cocktails/cordials/drinks that make use of American whiskey. Interest in the history of bourbon and rye has helped the contemporary cocktailian discover these forgotten concoctions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.