neat vs. cut vs. ??

eyancey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was wondering if someone can explain to me the differences in terminology between neat, cut, etc. I understand that neat is straight. Is cut with a little water or over ice?

thanks!

Eric

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You got it Eric. Neat is however it comes straight out of the bottle. Poured over ice it is said to be 'on the rocks', and is not neccessarily cut. You dilute your bourbon when you 'cut' it with water. If you put anything else in your bourbon it is 'mixed'. Coke; Ginger Ale, and Sprite are all popular mixers.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I'll go along with that. But, to me, on the rocks does cut the whiskey.

Tim

thanks y'all! I agree that the ice does end up cutting it... unless you can figure out a way to keep the ice from melting ;)

thanks again,

Eric

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Gentlemen you aren't supposed to leave the bourbon in the glass long enough for the ice to actually melt! tongue.giflaugh.gif

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I for one am not taking any chances. I have some stainless steel cubes about an inch and a quarter all around , leave them in the freezer all nite they work like ice to cool the bourbon without imparting any of waters contaminating effects.No rust, it does help to wash them occasionally . As long as you go from cheap to cheaper it's okay . but I'd give 'em a bath before I dropped them in the Good Stuff!

Bobby Cox

For My 21st birthday my then wife-to-be bought me an 8 shot glass chiller set, where you put the glasses in the big tub filled with ice to cool them down. Now since I am the only one drinking around here most of the time, it accomadates my favorite Old Fashioned Glass quite well. It is just as effective (and a bit classier) than putting my glass of whiskey in the fridge. It looks kewl too.

TomC

Since it is the water melting off the ice that actually cools the drink, and not the ice itself, ice does cut the liquor in most cases. In Linn's case, however, the purpose of the ice is not to cool the drink (as he says, there's not enough time) but to make a cool sound when you put down the empty glass, conveniently signaling the serving wench that a refill is required.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.