Branching Out and Building a Collection

pnessutt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Being still relatively new to Bourbon over the last few years, my tastes have been limited primarily to the Beam Small Batch Brands (Bookers, Bakers, Knob Creek, Basil Haydens).

I'd like to grow out my collection more and I'm curious as to the kinds of Bourbon's that you might recommend - both for casual drinking and for those once in a while opportunities that you might truly want something to savor.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

Try:

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage

Labrot and Graham Woodford Reserve

Ezra B 15 year old Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

Blanton's

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

ya still can't go wrong with Old Forester (or Evan Williams 7 Year) as kick-ass everyday drinks smile.gif.

uhm i suggest Russell's Reserve too, I just tried some at a bar last night, and now I hope everyone could share the joy I had expereincing it.

Yummy,

Rock On,

Tom (all chuck's choices are spot on, YUMMY)C

Any thing you see that has Old Rip VanWinkle on it is worth having . Ditto's for what Chuck and Murphydawg says as well. Wild turkey does not sell any bad whiskey you may want to leave the 80 proof at the liquor store. Wathens is great same as ezra 15 but not in the barrel as long. A good Ezra Brooks is the 101 proof 7 YO , get some Elijah Craig 12 YO as soon as you can if you like Knob Creek you should love the EC .

Bobby Cox

i wish they sold EC 12 YO where I live. I feel like I am missing out.frown.gif

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Tom wrote "i wish they sold EC 12 YO where I live. I feel like I am missing out."

You are.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to Bourbonia Bob! You've certainly come to the right place for in depth bourbonic insight. I concur whole heartedly with the suggestions proffered by my esteemed colleagues here on this forum. I highly recomend A.H. Hirsch. This is a 16 year old pot stilled whiskey from Pennsylvania from the now defunct Michter's distillery. It's quite expensive at $80 per 750ml bottle, but once it's gone it's gone.

For an easy drinking small batch bourbon that is surprisingly good for it's young age allow me to also recomend the six year old 90 proof Virginia Gentleman also known as 'the fox' due to the fox hunting sceen on the label and embossed foxhead on the bottle. An excellent choice at $20 per 750ml bottle.

Linn Spencer

Welcome, Bob. Several of these have already been mentioned, but I won't try to filter. The bourbons that I enjoy the most are:

(Expensive)

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Woodford Reserve

Knob Creek

Blanton's

(Everyday)

Wild Turkey 101

Old Forester 100 proof

Elijah Craig 12 year old

Tim

Welcome, Bob! I'd suggest you try to "track the rye" as many of us do. Start with a high-rye bourbon variation on your Beam products - Old Granddad 100 proof - then go to the high-end ryes like Van Winkle 13 year old or Hirsch 13 year old. Then try Sazerac rye as an elegant comparison to these flavorful spirits. A nice change from the corn-sweet bourbons often suggested, and an education to the palate.

Ralph Wilps

Hello, Bob. As Linn said you come to the right place. Buffalo Trace has what they call there Antique Collection.. 18yr Sazerac Rye the 2001 Bottling won whiskey of the year this past year. 17yr Eagle Rare is given 5 stars by Paul Perout of the spirit journal and ther 19ye Weller aint bad unless your like Linn and just don't like wheaters. Julian Vanwinkles 13yr Rye is a must so is his 15yr 107 Proof and

then he has 20yr & 23yr Pappy Family Reserve. I agree with linn I love the 16yr Hirsch I believe it's better than the 20 yr which is all bottled. I understand Julian Vanwinkle still has some 16yr Hirsch. The Hue family of Cork-n-Bottle of Covington ,Ky has control over all the Hirsch. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is high on my list of favorites as is there Rare Breed. Buffalo Trace has a 10 Eagle Rare Single barrel which I really like. I have not had the chance to try There Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel of the 92 Evan Williams but have 6 bottles of the 90 & 91 vintage on hand so you know I really like what they have done with this vintage bottling. Just for the record. I have been kinda on the wagon and a diet since feb 4th. have only had a few drinks since then have managed to get my weight down to 212 from 250 and my target is 188. Maybe then I can start to open some of the near 60 bottles of fine Bourbon I have sitting around here. Hope this info helps. Creggor

Hello, Again Bob. Forgot to mention Bookers, try it straight it will wake you up big time. Then cut it with a little ice. Old Charter Proprietors Reserve. Very Special 12yr Old Fitzgerald. You gota try these. And for a little sweeter tast treat. Try some Jack Daniels Single Barrel. And when you feel like getting down and durty and want some good old earthen flavors try some Buffalo Trace I swear the stuff will grow on you. Enjoy Creggor.

In addition to the many great suggestions, there are also some wonderful wheaters: Weller Centenniel 100 proof (if you can find it, if not the 12yo) and if you are overseas or in duty free, look for Maker's Mark 101 proof.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

No John the best bourbon is from Kentucky. I have recently bestowed my highest and much coveted Five Pants rating upon Kentucky Spirit and Rock Hill Farms.

I picked the Hirsch because it is a supurb bourbon in very limited supply and is hard to get. It's expensive, but very much worth having.

I picked the 'Fox' because it is an excellent bourbon from a very small distillery and it is not widely available across the country. It's worth searching for.

Linn Spencer

just wanted to add my opinion about the 12yr old fitz, make sure its from the stitzel-weller distillery cause its the best. life is good-den

Den,

How can I tell if my bottle of Very Special 12yr Old Fitzgerald is from the Stitzel-Weller distillery?

Bob Kaufman

My bottle has Louisville right on it . I always look at the 1st 5 numbers in the upc code this will give you a big hint on what comes from where. Heaven Hill has 96749 on it , they bought the old fitz label so at some point this number should show up on the label. United used 88076 you will see this on weller dickle and Old fitz , The new Weller will come from Buffalo Trace should have a different number on it . Hope this helps . The weller from BT has 80044 so does the EagleRare. Other whiskey from them is 80244 AA BT

Bobby Cox

on the right hand lower corner of the label there will be a SL 16.905.01.00 which i assume to mean stitzel-weller dist#16. hope this and what Bobby said will help. life is good-den

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.