Bourbon Balls

TnSquire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried making these using the infamous Kim Queen of Bourbon Balls recipe.

My Kim (who is not the Queen of Bourbon Balls) is out of town so I have trashed the kitchen. They are pretty good although not as good as hers. I used "only" 107 proof Weller. They are pretty good for my first time.

Thanks Dawn for the recipe. Maybe I can mail you one to try.:rolleyes:

Kim's are great. I also remember a superlative one brought by Bobby Cox to a gazebo, made I think by his wife Amelia. Stagg was the bourbon used. I will never forget those, the impact of the Stagg was enormous.

Gary

I made them last year for Christmas and took them to Wisconsin for our family gathering.....I came home with practically the whole batch. Nobody had more than one!! :bigeyes::bigeyes:

They aren't bourbon drinkers.... What did I expect!! :skep::skep:

Dawn

We made two batches this year. One with Jim Beam Black, and the other with a vatting of WT 101 and Russel's Reserve 90 proof.

The Jim Beam Black balls showed much more bourbon influence, yet the Jim Beam is lower in proof and noticeably mellower neat.

The WT balls were disappointing. I guess the flavors just do not pair as well with the sugar, butter, and chocolate.

That's interesting and it shows I think that JB Black mixes well and better perhaps than some bourbons which many bourbon fans would regard as better.

It would be interesting to make, say, a Manhattan with the bourbons you mentioned and see which one is preferred.

I find WT bourbons to be notably woody, it is a house characteristic in my view, and perhaps that doesn't meld well with chocolate flavors, whereas the spicy mellow taste of the Black might do better. It is the pungent "rye" or whatever it is that gives JB its stamp that may make the difference.

The more I think about it, the more I have come to think that the palate of most of the Beam line (excepting perhaps Knob Creek) is designed with a view to how it tastes in mixed drinks and cocktails. And the same may be true for Jack Daniels.

Gary

I tried making these using the infamous Kim Queen of Bourbon Balls recipe.

.:rolleyes:

Where can I find infamous Kim's recipe. I tried a search with no luck....

See that lady with the horseshoe on her avatar? You have to ask her REAL nice. You may even have to offer to send her some kind of special bottled treat.....actually, I think if you just say please she will probably send it to you.

In my experience Stagg makes the best bourbon balls with Booker's a close second. Like others I have been disappointed with WT products used this way.

I had intended on trying WLW '05 this Christmas. But I didn't make any this year. A scaled back Christmas party due to everyones work schedules not meshing would make it a waste of time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.