what compares to Pappy's 15 or 20 year?!

gmhoffmann
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To me, the best bourbon bargain out there -- when you can get it -- is Pappy Van Winkle's 15-year. For those that don't know it is so seasonal that I could only find it for about 2 weeks this year. It's about the same price as Pappy's 12-year, $40-$45, but a world above it. Next is the 20-year, which is awesome, but comes in around $100. So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60 than $100? Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd go with Pure Kentucky XO (at about $35-$40) for whiskey seemingly 15 years old. Even though the label states 10 it seems older. I'd go Elijah Craig 18 years old for something in the 20 year range (many EC 18's seem to be older than 18 years judging by certain things on the label and other indications). True, these are rye-recipe bourbons, but very good ones. I think EC 18 goes for about the same price as the XO, maybe less in fact (I haven't bought it recently but it is a great bourbon).

Gary

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a good one to try...comes in at 108 proof and has a hint of rye spiciness to complement a very rich, complex and slightly sweet overall character. Much cheaper too...around $34.

To me, the best bourbon bargain out there -- when you can get it -- is Pappy Van Winkle's 15-year. For those that don't know it is so seasonal that I could only find it for about 2 weeks this year. It's about the same price as Pappy's 12-year, $40-$45, but a world above it. Next is the 20-year, which is awesome, but comes in around $100. So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60 than $100? Thanks for any suggestions!

Save a boat-load of cash by drinking ORVW 10/107. In my opinion, it is far better than the 20. Actually, I feel it's better than the 15 as well but I realize that I'm in the minority.

But like I said, if you like the 15 then switch to the ORVW 10/107. It's the same bourbon (Bernheim) but 5 years younger and about $15 cheaper.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a good one to try...comes in at 108 proof and has a hint of rye spiciness to complement a very rich, complex and slightly sweet overall character. Much cheaper too...around $34.

I concur. Though, in my opinion, it's a much different flavor than any Van Winkle product out there.

I agree with you. I have picked up a couple of bottles lately and was thinking today that we are about to go into 2008......subtract 15 and you get to year 1993....the year after S-W went defunct. Does that mean the current Pappy 15 is some of the last S-W product for the label? Or, do I recall somewhere on here reading from Julian that some BT wheat had already been used for Pappy 15 during a shortage in the near past? Lastly, does it really matter? With the highly trusted name of JVW & family on the label, probably not.

As the avatar indicates, I'm a big PvW fan.

Some other favorites: Jefferson Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey American Spirit.

I can almost always find Pappy 20 or 15 at one of the Binny's. Not so consistent at Sam's. Skokie Binny's even had a bottle of 23 when I was there last month.

I find Old Fitzgerald 1849 similar, and the 15 year Van winkle is my favorite!

I agree that the Pappy 15 has got to be one of the best bargains out there - awesome, delicious whiskey - some of the very best. My understanding, though, is that we are about to see the very last of it (at least genuine Stitzel Weller whiskey), so stock up!

I agree that the Pappy 15 has got to be one of the best bargains out there - awesome, delicious whiskey - some of the very best. My understanding, though, is that we are about to see the very last of it (at least genuine Stitzel Weller whiskey), so stock up!

I thought that Bernheim was in the PVW 15 now. Or, at the very least it was mingled with the SW. I'm not sure though.

Regarding value, yes, it's a good value but hard to find, for me anyway.

So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60 than $100? Thanks for any suggestions!

IMHO, not much.....in fact, can't think of anything close. Since PVW is a wheater, a little more difficult to do an 'apples to apples' comparison. Now, if talking about age by itself, there may be some room for options.

WT12 if you can find it. Maybe WT KS.

Perhaps some BTAC bottlings depending on what price you can find them at.

But basically, almost nothing can hold a candle to 15 year old Van Winkle.

I'm finding Pappy's 15 and 20 to be somewhat different animals. The 15 isn't that much hotter than the 20 given the difference in proof and I'm finding the 20 to have a relatively pronounced "band-aid" or phenol flavor to it while the 15 seems just about perfect to my palate. Aside from the cache that the 20 carries for my guests, I'm wishing I had two 15's instead.

So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60?

The honest answer: NOTHING! If you love Pappy 15 and 20.....You will learn to "settle" for other things or maybe even find a different aspect of enjoyment out of something else.....but they will always fall short of your favorite!

Dawn

The sad truth for me is that Pappy 15 was the first "good" bottle of bourbon I purchased aside from Maker's. I was blown away by the complexity. I figured that I might lean toward the wheaters since I liked the Van Winkle stuff so much but have found that the Van Winkle stuff is pretty singular and the other wheaters are generally less inspired (that's an understatement). Will need to find closure w/ the Pappy 20 I've got open since I'm just not gettin' it at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I am with Nick on the ORVW 10yr old 107...that stuff is fabulous..I like the 4 Roses Single Barrel also...Very,very good..

I too love the Pap15...very complex and bold for a wheater. If you want something on par (in my opinion), the '06 William LaRue Weller is, too me, over the top fantastic. I do a little cut to get it down to about 110 and it's perfect. On price, It's maybe a little more...assuming you can find it.

I too love the Pap15...very complex and bold for a wheater. If you want something on par (in my opinion), the '06 William LaRue Weller is, too me, over the top fantastic. I do a little cut to get it down to about 110 and it's perfect. On price, It's maybe a little more...assuming you can find it.

Agreed.

I am a die hard Pappy 15 lover, but I am sipping on an 07 larue weller that is pretty good as well. dare I say better ????:skep:

Agreed.

I am a die hard Pappy 15 lover, but I am sipping on an 07 larue weller that is pretty good as well. dare I say better ????:skep:

I retried the 07 WLW the other night, and enjoyed it much more than upon my first tasting (though not as much as the 06). However, Pappy 15 remains my favorite bourbon.

Kevin

Save a boat-load of cash by drinking ORVW 10/107. In my opinion, it is far better than the 20. Actually, I feel it's better than the 15 as well but I realize that I'm in the minority.

But like I said, if you like the 15 then switch to the ORVW 10/107. It's the same bourbon (Bernheim) but 5 years younger and about $15 cheaper.

How does the 10 compare to ORVW SR 12? VW said the 12 won a gold at the International Wine and Spirit Competition 2008. Sams shows they have the 10 & 12 in Chicago.

How does the 10 compare to ORVW SR 12? VW said the 12 won a gold at the International Wine and Spirit Competition 2008. Sams shows they have the 10 & 12 in Chicago.

I like the 10 better. It's at a higher proof (107), only two years younger, and about $13-$15 cheaper.

I'd definitely go with the 10 over the Lot B based on the above.

Don't through any of the 12's out lot B is good but there is something about the 107's 10, 15 and Pappy. I really like the lotB and the 20 but the 107 line up is a better dollar value no doubt and sometimes just better, Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.