Powers Gold Label

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I suspect he's confusing peatiness with copper influence of the pot still -- which will vary depending on the state of the current cycle between re-coppering.

I've had some older Jameson 12yo which is quite different than a newer version, and I also originally credited it to 'peatiness'. But, I eventually came to realize that it was probably the difference between when each was made -- the older one was much more influenced by the still's copper than the newer one. It wasn't peat at all, of course.

When I first tried Knappogue Castle , the 1992, I thought I detected a whisper of peat, on the nose mostly. But tasting it side by side with JW Gold it became quite evident it wasn't peat I was detecting.

I like Powers whiskey. Jameson is ok. But I just don't seem to like anything Bushmills. I've given them all a shot except the most expensive one. If I have to drink Irish I buy Powers. Um...Peat is in the lowland scotches not in the Irish whiskeys.

I like Powers whiskey. Jameson is ok. But I just don't seem to like anything Bushmills. I've given them all a shot except the most expensive one. If I have to drink Irish I buy Powers. Um...Peat is in the lowland scotches not in the Irish whiskeys.

Actually, peat is most commonly found in whiskies from the Scottish islands, like the Orkney isles, Islay, Skye, and Jura, to name a few-- but Islay has the most peat-heavy style.

Lowland malts are always un-peated, though only 3 lowland distilleries remain, one of which was just resurrected (that being Bladnoch).

I don't know what he's talking about-- I can't taste any peat in Irish whisky whatsoever.

My apologies-- I forgot about Connemara, which is *very* heavily-peated.

As for bartenders-- I happen to be one. I am the only one in my area (that I know of) who knows that Jack Daniels is NOT a bourbon!

Couldn't tell ya. I was just reporting. Furthermore, I think it's interesting that he says that it has the peaty-ness which is the sign of a good whisky. If you push that out philosophically, what he's saying is that most Irish whiskies are not good, and that most Scotch whiskies are good. Where do his sympathies lie, you wonder?

In all fairness, the VAST majority of Scotch whisky, is un-peated. The smokiness you find in blended Scotch whiskies, like Johnnie Walker, come form the small portions of island malts.

For example, if I remember right, I think Talisker used to be a MAJOR component of Dewar's...

Either way, the most popular distilleries, usually the Highlands (Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, etc) and Speysides (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, etc), use either very little, or no, peat smoke in their malted barley.

Either way, the most popular distilleries, usually the Highlands (Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, etc) and Speysides (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, etc), use either very little, or no, peat smoke in their malted barley.

It was my understanding that peat can enter the whisk(e)y two different ways; peat smoke wen drying the malted barley and to a much less extent from the water source. The water having flowed through the bogs.

It was my understanding that peat can enter the whisk(e)y two different ways; peat smoke wen drying the malted barley and to a much less extent from the water source. The water having flowed through the bogs.

That could be a possibility. I'll check my various Michael Jackson books and let you know if he mentions that latter possibility.

If the peat is entering the water, then you will likely have a very "green", "mossy", or "rotting vegetable" taste, as peat is decayed wood and plant matter. Aside from the Islay malts, I don't really see the master distillers favoring such a flavor in their product.

Still, it's an interesting thought.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.