Whither Barton's Rye?

Rughi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been vexed by a persistent taste memory of Fleischmann's Rye.

Neal found some in Wisconsin some time ago and brought it to Study Group a few months ago. Although only 80 proof and notably watery, it was delightful rye that had only minimal barrel character - and I'd even shiver in an ice fishing shack to drink it, if I could have some now.

What that brings me to is this: does anyone know if Barton _still_ intends to cease making this wonderful rye? Could we picket their main office?

They have a natural sibling to their only upmarket product, 1792, already in their warehouses, just begging to not be pissed away in obscurity as the last refills of a bottom shelf product in a few towns in Wisconsin.

Or at least, I'm begging.

Roger

I have searched hi and low for this rye in Wisconsin and have so far been unsuccessful. If you find a secret stash somewhere let me know.

If you find a secret stash somewhere...

I wish.

Maybe it's all already bottled (or plastic jugged) and dwindling off the shelves. Since I've only read in the last year that there wouldn't be any more rye made at Barton, I hope there're still barrels in the rickhouses that Barton could dispose with as they choose. But then, I only have the same resources to read as everyone else.

Roger

I, too, find it odd that they would discontinue their rye, just as rye is coming back into fashion. I know they have never exactly attacked the top end of the market, but putting out a mid shelf bottling in say, Kentucky, just to feel out the market doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

I don't think I have ever tasted this, but I want to say I have seen it on shelves somewhere. Or am I likely recalling something else labeled Fleischmann's? Is there something other than a rye? (And forgive me if I am retreading an old coversation). I just swear I have seen something in SoCal.

Another thought, even if a silly one at that. Any attempted to get a single barrel of this bottled?

A side thought. I am not really much of a fan of 1792; however the VOB BiB from a few years ago amazes me. It seems like Barton isn't doing enough with the potential they have.

Barton bottles several products under the Fleischmann's brand including gin, rum, blended whiskey and vodka.

I want to say I have seen it on shelves somewhere. Or am I likely recalling something else labeled Fleischmann's? Is there something other than a rye?

I think all of the Fleischmann's in Northern California I've seen was blended whiskey. I picked up one that is shown here .

Roger

Fleischmann's Blended Whiskey is pretty widely distributed. Once upon a time, the Fleischmann's name was put on just about everything and I think the gin and vodka still have some distribution too. It's one of those brands that has been bounced around a lot.

Thanks for clearing it up. I think what I have probably seen is the blended whiskey. So now I am more intrigued than ever to try this glorious Rye!

I have searched hi and low for this rye in Wisconsin and have so far been unsuccessful. If you find a secret stash somewhere let me know.

Did you ever get the PM I sent you? ;) Or, were they out of stock?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.