Ezra B

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As those of you who get The Bourbon Country Reader will see in a day or two, I really like Ezra B. At 15 years old, it totally expresses charred wood, to the exclusion of almost everything else, but it still gives you a lot to think about. I actually prefer it to the 18-year-old Elijah Craig. It is easier to drink, even though it is higher proof (99). I have long been a believer in "full proof" bourbon (i.e., 100 or thereabouts) and have been won over to extra aging. Not that I think all bourbons should be aged so long, but I'm glad a few are. It adds significantly to the variety of tasting experiences. It's a valid taste profile, not just a gimmick. Do I subscribe to "older is better"? Only in describing myself. Whiskey can be good at any age or, at least, any age after 4 years.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

I've got an empty Ezra B 15 bottle , what pleasure. I've got another one sealed I could break into it any day.

Bobby Cox

Chuck, i also agree about higher proof bourbons and extra aging on some bourbons, especially wheaters and a few other distillery bottlings. life is good-den

The brand is owned by David Sherman Co. of St. Louis, but they aren't a distiller. I suspect the whiskey is Heaven Hill.

The way I understood it was when Glenmore was broke up David Sherman got the labels and someone else bought the whiskey. The whiskey in Ezra B 15 is supposed to be the same as Wathens only older. It was all distilled by Charles Medley when he was at Glenmore.

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Yeah that's what I thought Bobby. No way is Wathen's Heaven Hill whiskey. It's much much better than that.

I bought a bottle of Ezra Brooks 15 year old single barrel one time and didn't think much of it. Way too wooden for me. Best used as casket oil. I really like Walthen's much better. It costs less and tastes better.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I was thinking what you had the nerve to say . HH cranks out a good one now and then but nothing like Wathens. I like the Ezra but it would be nice if you could roll it back a few years.

Bobby Cox

The extra-aged bourbons really are an acquired taste and not for everyone or for every situation, but they do add another dimension to the bourbon experience. I used to reject them out of hand, but have come around.

Is Ezra B some of Charlie Medley's whiskey made at Owensboro when he was master distiller for Glenmore? I hope so. That would be nice. Even if it is, I'm not sure that would be the same whiskey as Wathen's. I could be wrong about this, because I'm not as good on the Owensboro distilleries as I am on some others, but it might be pre-Glenmore Medley whiskey that the Medley family retained, or Medley whiskey made later at a different Medley plant (i.e., not the one Glenmore owned). I know the Medley family had a stock of old whiskey that was never owned by Glenmore or its successors. Since Sherman also distributes the Wathen brand, it's possible it is that whiskey in both, not some Medley-distilled Glenmore whiskey Sherman acquired when it acquired Ezra Brooks. Either way, it's Medley-made whiskey and probably the same as what he made for Glenmore, but maybe not. Buddy Thompson (who owned Glenmore) may have had his own ideas and Charlie was his employee.

A subject worth exploring further.

It is indeed worth exploring further. I also saw where the Wathen brand had caught on enough and Charles Medley was getting near the end of his supply and would need to work something out with someone to start making whiskey for Wathens in the future. I don't know what he wants to do but it'd be great if he could twist the dials on somebody's still , and they'd get out of the way and let him go. Provided he hasn't lost his touch!

Bobby Cox

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to think about snagging a bottle of the 15 year old Ezra B someday soon, meanwhile, I've sure been drinking a LOT of that Ezra B 7 year old, 101 proof "sippin' whiskey" of late. It's priced right, around here, at $13 or so. If you like a spicy dram like Wild Turkey 101 this 7 year old Ezra really grows on a fellow. There's enough rye to balance the sweet from the corn, there's some old leather and orange and vanilla. A long finish. Not a lot of bells and whistles, just a pretty good sip.

I gave a bottle of the 7 yo 101 to my nieghbor last year for Christmas . I got a few shots out of it . I like it . As you say not a lot of bells and whistles but a good drink nonetheless.

Bobby Cox

I see where you said that now, sorry about not looking before I started asking tongue.gif.

Rock On! cool.gif!!

TomC

Are the 7 year old and 15 year old from the same distilleries stock??

TomC

I don't know, but there is a good chance the answer is "no."

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Chuck cowdery wrote"...there is a good chance the answer is no"

We could call both Charles Medley and David Sherman to find out couldn't we?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

It would be interesting to find out. It seems to me (judging by the conversation) that there was a lot of flux with the brand in the time between the 15 & 7 were distilled, so I was thinking it wasnt.

So if this is the case, would it be the same mashbill, just at a different distillery??

Thanx,

Curious Tom, the Curious little Bourbonian. . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Its obviously not available in Ohio but the thread has peaked my interest. Is is available in/around Bardstown and what does the 15 year run (so I can add that amount to my Bardstown Bourbonic Savings Fund Goal Total).

TomC

26 or 28 bucks Its in Louisville they should have it at Toddy's but I am not sure.

Bobby Cox

By seeing this I'm wondering was your experience with the 101 proof 7 YO ezra favorable?

<font color="orange"> Yup it was. Like I said, and texascarl said before me, it is simple and yummy, and the taste says BOURBON! I enjoy it quite a bit, it is very drinkable.

After the success with the 7 YO, I noticed that the 15 YO Single Barrel was very reasonably priced at SamsWines site (they were charging $20.99) so I figure, if I can get it somewhere under $30, than it might be worth the investment to see what a truly aged bourbon is like.

TomC </font color>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.