Bourbonfest, Distillaries, and the Gazebo

jbalchunas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey everyone,

I've been a member on here for several years, but haven't posted in a long long time. In any case, my father and I are scheduling a trip out to KY for the first time for the later part of the week of the bourbon festival. I believe he was able to secure a room at the GN (Thur-->Sat), so we're looking forward to everything...

Random questions:

- Granted the gazebo is an ever-growing, yet extremely informal affair, any

customary rules? Does everyone typically bring a bottle or two to

contrubute?

- I've got some research on distillary tours to do, from reading old posts, it sounds like MM and Four Roses are the best bet for really getting a good feel for the process. Any other recommendations?

- Aside from the Gazebo, any other highlights of the week or the area that shouldn't be missed?

Looking forward to the trip, especially coming from a much restricted North Carolina in terms of available bourbons...

Thanks,

John

...questions:

- Granted the gazebo is an ever-growing, yet extremely informal affair, any

customary rules? Does everyone typically bring a bottle or two to

contrubute?

Yes, that's pretty much the only rule -- drop a bottle (or two or 12) on the table, and you've paid admission to drink from every other bottle on the table. If you have a special bottle to share, that's great, but you are nonetheless credited for your generosity by its practice, not its content.

... - I've got some research on distillary tours to do, from reading old posts, it sounds like MM and Four Roses are the best bet for really getting a good feel for the process. Any other recommendations?..

If its 'hard-hat' tour is still available (e.g., distilling season has resumed), Buffalo Trace is a can't-miss. Even the regular tour is decent, and the gift shop/museum is first-rate. If Horse Country interests you, go to Woodford Reserve.

... - Aside from the Gazebo, any other highlights of the week or the area that shouldn't be missed?..

There's other stuff besides the Gazebo?!:bigeyes: :lol: You never know who you might be sharing a drink or a table with at the drink 'garden' at the Festival main grounds downtown. Fun to watch other people bid high prices for some of the unique (and not-so-unique) bottles that come up for bid at the Getz charity auction. Try to make it to Bettye Jo's 'do' in New Haven.

Above all, enjoy yourselves -- and a little fine bourbon!

If you have a special bottle to share, that's great, but you are nonetheless credited for your generosity by its practice, not its content.

What a beautiful and eloquent way to put that.

I'm hoping to attend at least some of the KBF and I sure hope to meet you guys there. I appreciate your sage tutelege, TNbourbon.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

Hi JB, As far as distillery tours, Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace are the two I can recommend from experience. Last year was my first time at the KBF. It was great. Make sure you go to the the barrel relays on Saturday morning. You can check out their website for more info. www.kybourbonfestival.com

Hope you have a great time. Joe

PS Maybe we'll see you. There's a chance my wife and I might be going again this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.