Wild Turkey 12yos - any differences?

eprater
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got three bottles of Wild Turkey 12 Year Old here at home. I've read occasional references to each, but I'm curious if there any differences to what's actually inside.

#1 has gold adhesive labels, is billed as "Limited Edition" and prominently mentions "Austin Nichols" on the front. The back label has a stenciled bottling date (I assume) of 02/10/92 12:40. I think I picked this one up off a shelf of a random Greenwich Village liquor store in early 2001.

#2 and #3 are both in identical tubes with identical underlying bottles (700ml), but the front labels are slightly different. One has a single front label, while the other has a gap between two labels on the front.

All three are 101 proof.

Some day I'll probably just open all three, so some friends can compare them. But is there anything in particular I should know about any of these bottlings?

(My favorite WT to date is the 101 proof Russell's Reserve, which I prefer to Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit. I've not had any 12yo bottling, that I can recall, not the 8yo bottlings I seem to see frequently in Duty Free.)

Thanks for the help!

The first issue one you are talking about is mainly referred to as "Cheesy Gold Foil" and appears to the "holy grail" bourbon of many on this board.

I opened my first 12yo on Christmas Day (current duty free offering - solid label, current style bottle) and although I really liked it, I must say I prefer the Kentucky Spirit (not to mention American Spirit).

Also after last weekend, I have a new found fondness for Rare Breed on ice....we got well acquainted:lol:

It would be interesting to see how your three 12yo's compare!

Scott

I've had all of those. The differences are slight, but the gold foil is the best. I like the euro/duty free version of a split label better than the US split label. (It looks like a single label....but it's not....it has a small strip on the bottom). The single label duty free has less character.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.