Woodford Reserve

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alright I was thinking about the Labrot & Graham tour in Sept. and this question springs to mind:

Are they gonna keep the current Woodford Reserve once the "New Special" stuff comes out? I read somewhere that the current bottling was only created to foster Labrot & Graham brand recognition. Well it turned out that the current bottling was also very very good. I was just curious if they'd keep it, remove it (in which case I should start hoarding) or maybe just rename it (like Old Forester Special Reserve). Does anybody have a clue??

Tom (hoping it stays around) C

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Last year on the tour they said that they were definitely going to keep Woodford Reserve exactly as is. They will launch new labels for the pot stilled whiskey when they release it.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I have heard a couple of different stories from people in the know. Not duplicity, just them not quite sure yet what they are going to do. One line of thinking is to keep drawing Woodford Reserve from whiskey distilled at Early Times and bottle the L&G-made whiskey as one or more new brands. Another is to gradually add some of the L&G-made whiskey to Woodford. I suspect they must be getting close to doing something.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck my best guess would be that with L&G having such a small daily output of only 20 barrels or so that any new brand would take the bulk of that production. What would slipping a few pot-stilled barrels into the Woodford Reserve batch selection actually do for the brand? At anyrate I'm sure we'll be able to find out more about it come September. Maybe we can arrange for Owsley Brown to drop by.

Linn Spencer

Tom,

I too hope that they'll keep Woodford Reserve amongst their product line. Since my wife and I visited the distillery a few years ago, I've been looking forward to the release of their "New Special Stuff". Initially, it was to have been released by now, and I was informed that it was felt it was not yet ready. Does anyone know when they are planning to release it? Also, enjoy your visit!

Bob

I get the feeling that the new stuff will be released initially sometime around when us Bourbonites [sic?] make our pilgrimage (during Bourbon Festival 2002 of thereabouts), though I am not an insider and don't know definatively. Anyone else got info on this??

TomC

If anything, Wouldnt that be a bad thing. One of the few things I have learned to hold true in life is "Don't fuck with a good thing!" (my example being NEW COKE). Wouldn't adding pot still barrels, as good as they may be, potentially ruin the flavor profile of the WR we all know and love?? I hope the just name the new stuff differently and keep WR the way it is!

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

The thing is Tom is that we don't know what their mashbill(s) are or what kind of chracter their yeast strain(s) may have.That remains to be tasted. What I can tell you is that the rock walled rickhouses in the hollow of Glenn's Creek in Woodford County are going to be slow agers. Very much unlike the metal clad rickhouses on top of a hillside like Wild Turkey. The location and type of rickhouse does make a differance in the character of the whiskey.

As we can taste in Woodford Reserve that the barrels of "Old Forester' that are selected for aging at L&G are very special indeed.

Will the pot-stilled bourbon aged in it's entirity in the stone rickhouses on Glenn's Creek produce the very best bourbon ever tasted by mankind?

I SURE HOPE SO!

And so does Owsley Brown and Lincoln Henderson. They are doing all they can to bring us delicious bourbons to drink and make a reasonable profit all at the same time.

That's not too much to ask is it?

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

i figure thats easy for us to say! LOL

i wonder what the pot stilled stuff will go for $$$$$ wise, are we shooting for super-super premium Blanton's cash flow, or like woodfords level, hmmmmm i guess we will have to wait & see. . . . .

(i bet they dont see it in ohio anyway tongue.giffrown.gif)

just means more road trips to KY!!!laugh.gif

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Let's see -> Brown-Forman put 7 to 8 million dollars into resurecting L&G plus wages and taxes for six years with no positive cash flow. It's going to take them a goooooood long while just to break even, but I think the fifty dollar a bottle price range is going to be about right. So it had better be damn good.

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Yay! I am still involved in a personal battle to decide on what my very favorite bourbon is. The contestants are Woodford Reserve and Rare Breed. Every time I pour one or the other, it seems to be the best. I am staying pretty confused.

But I would be very disappointed if they stopped selling WR, even if the reason was to sell something "better", instead.

Tim

Yeah Woodford is a good brand. Anyone tried Presidents Reserve? I think it's out of country or at duty free stores. Brown Forman does a lot of things and one is to sponsor a lot of our public television in Ky. When they remind you it's "commercial free tv" they roll a little footage and acknowledge the contributors, they show the L&G Presidents Reserve along side of the woodford. I guess there are some whiz's at BF , I hope they realize they have a hit with WR and leave it alone , develope something else with the Pot Still whiskey. I can see your other point as well, a buddy of mine was over last Saturday. I had got a flat on a back tractor tire it has calcium cloride and water in it for weight . A real pain to fix . A tire shop charges about $135.00 to do it, so I do mine myself. We were making a party out of it as well.Started with Blanton's then went to Rare Breed. The RB held it's own it didn't seem like a step down , it was different but fine nonetheless. We did hit the Ky Gentleman now that's a different story. Actually it's a decent whiskey but it smells like rubbing alcohol .But the smell doesn't carry over to the taste Weird huh?

Bobby Cox

What's the calcium chloride for, antifreeze?

Yeah, that is weird about the Ky Gentleman. Probably not weird enough to try it, though. wink.gif

I'm drinking Rare Breed, right now. One of the 50 ml bottles that came free on a bottle of WT 101. Now, THAT's a neck gift.

Tim

Yep antifreeze and wieght . I got the stuff to deal with it there's an adapter that goes on the tire then a garden hose, I chain it to an engine hoist and lay it over . I run the hose over the hill to a barrell and collect it all then wash everything with soap and water. The tube has to be Vulcanised or replaced.Put it all back together and I have a pump for my garden that I transfer the Calcium cloride and water back . I always let it run in water to clean it out. $135.00 seems high but to tell the truth I haven't offered to do one for that price for anyone . Maybe if I was younger . Ky Gentleman if I buy another I will sit it on the shelf to look at , I can drink it but can't figure out the smell.

Bobby Cox

Re the tire thing, I love the fact that you're taking the money you would be paying to the garage and spending it on whiskey.

Re the Kentucky Gent, try this. Pour some into a glass and let it "air out" for about 15 minutes before you drink it. That may help the unpleasant odor.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

That does seem to help various good hi-proof bourbons. lots of good tricks to help out the flavor profile. life is good -den

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.