PVW Label

thanson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two things happen whenever I share some PVW 15 or 20 with someone. First, they want to know where to get it. Second, they comment on the great label. After about the 10th time of this happening, I began to wonder about that picture.

Does anyone know anything about the picture that's on these bottles? I assume it is Julian Van Winkle Sr. But I'd be curious to know when and where it was taken. Is the picture a casual photo? and any other information would be appreciated too.

The man in the picture is Julian P. "Pappy" Van Winkle, grandfather of the guy we call Julian, who is actually J. P. Van Winkle III. Julian runs the Van Winkle line today, created the Pappy line, and probably selected that picture.

His grandfather had been a salesman for a whiskey wholesaler called W. L. Weller and Sons. He eventually became the company's president and principal owner. During Prohibition he obtained the rights to a brand called Old Fitzgerald. After Prohibition, he merged the Weller company with the A. Ph. Stitzel Distillery, which had been Weller's primary supplier. The combined company was called Stitzel-Weller and they built a new distillery complex in Shively, just south of Louisville.

Stitzel-Weller was unique in that it used wheat instead of rye as its flavor grain. The Old Fitzgerald brand became very successful. The company also produced a Weller line and created other brands, such as Old Rip Van Winkle, Cabin Still and Rebel Yell.

Pappy was an iconic figure and was seldom photographed without a cigar in his hand or mouth. He lived into his 90s.

After Pappy's death in 1967, the company ran into problems along with the rest of the industry. There was disagreement among his heirs about how to proceed and in 1972, the company was sold. The Stitzel-Weller Distillery continued in operation until 1992.

Pappy's son, also named Julian, started the Van Winkle company after the sale. In the sale, he had retained rights to the Van Winkle name. He bought an old distillery for its warehouses and bottling line, and began to produce whiskey on a small scale, using the Old Rip Van Winkle brand, and whiskey from the family's former distillery. His son, our Julian, continued and expanded the business. The Pappy bottlings today contain some of the last of the Stitzel-Weller whiskey.

I know it has been discussed many times in many places on this board before, but for all the newcomers, I would recommend the Van Winkle book, "But Always Fine Bourbon".

It is the story of Pappy Van Winkle and Old Fitzgerald, and was written by Julian's sister Sally. I recently purchased a copy, and it is one of the best books I have read. I don't think I have ever smiled and laughed so much while reading before!

Full of great stories, and a very proud family history of making fine bourbon.:bowdown:

I'm pretty sure it can be purchased from the Buffalo Trace gift shop, or A taste of Kentucky also have it listed on their site.

Scott

I know it has been discussed many times in many places on this board before, but for all the newcomers, I would recommend the Van Winkle book, "But Always Fine Bourbon".

And of course, the cover of the book is the same photograph of Pappy (courtesy of Julian) as on the label. As good a read as the whiskey is to taste!

The man in the picture is Julian P. "Pappy" Van Winkle, grandfather of the guy we call Julian, who is actually J. P. Van Winkle III. Julian runs the Van Winkle line today, created the Pappy line, .

All I can say is, God bless you, Julian, and may you continue to produce some of the finest bourbon on the face of the earth. The Winkle line is truly awesome.

shyster512,

I second your thoughts on Julian. I hope his son can carry on the great bourbon legacy so that one day my son may enjoy thier bourbon a much as I have.

I also have a copy of the book, I purchased at the distillery, and highly recommend it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.