Willett Family Pot Still Reserve

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems the Kulsveens have released some single barrel whiskey in that cool looking glass decanter in the shape of a pot still we saw a while back at their place. Single barrels 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof. John Hansell liked it in his blog. Going to CA first, and Kentucky this month. Anybody seen it yet?

Randy

Not in Kentucky yet.

Distributors are oblivious.

I turned on bourbondar.

If its in range, I'll locate it.

BevMo has a new Willets single barrel on the website but it is not in stock yet. Not sure if it is the same thing but I will watch for it. I saw it over the weekend when the number in the Bourbon selection went up. A sign something new was added.

Priced at $44.99

From the description posted, including their mispellings. That or maybe I am not yet up to speed with the new "maturted" process.

"Made from pure limestone spring water, carefully selected grains and proprietary strains of yeast. Aged in new white Oak Casks untill fully maturted."

I went ahead and signed up for "notify me". In theory there will be an email when it is in stock.

Ken

Is the name of this new release from KBD a description of what's in the bottle?

If so whom do you think they bought it from, maybe Woodford?

Herd tell it was in Ca and Ky as of today...prices and availability seem to vary...one said that it was on strict allocation in KY...

Haven't got mine yet...but someone is looking for me...nice to have friends in high places!

dp

Ok here is a quick picture. Going to open it shortly and give it a try.

Bottle 81 of 242. Barrel 6658

And yes it is in California. I picked mine up at BevMo. I called ahead and they were able to find it. It was still in the case and not out yet when I called.

The bottle is nice. The stopper is wood similar to Wild Turkey Rare Breed. The medallion is attached with gold wax.

Ken

post-2267-14489813598577_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a bottle. Thanks for the pic Ken. It is like the love child of a bottle of OFBB and Woodford Reserve Master's Collection.

I wonder how many more product lines KBD is going to introduce before they start bottling their own juice.

Ok here is a quick picture. Going to open it shortly and give it a try.

Bottle 81 of 242. Barrel 6658

And yes it is in California. I picked mine up at BevMo. I called ahead and they were able to find it. It was still in the case and not out yet when I called.

The bottle is nice. The stopper is wood similar to Wild Turkey Rare Breed. The medallion is attached with gold wax.

Ken

Nice looking bottle. Let us know how it tastes, Ken!

Wow, what a bottle. Thanks for the pic Ken. It is like the love child of a bottle of OFBB and Woodford Reserve Master's Collection.

Exactly. I smell a lawsuit.

I wonder how many more product lines KBD is going to introduce before they start bottling their own juice.

All I've heard is that they have done some test runs. If they are engaged in anything like production, I haven't heard about it.

And just to keep it in perspective, I've been hearing KBD say they would return to production "soon" for close to 20 years.

Exactly. I smell a lawsuit.

Same smell here......especially since one of the parties mentioned was pretty aggressive in the past (Ridgemont/Ridgewood).

I was in my local Bevmo yesterday and they had 1 bottle left, so I picked it up... excited to give it a taste....

Lawsuit?...wait just a minute here…

First, but not most importantly, IIRC, the Ridgewood/Ridgemont thing was a name similarity issue, not a bottle design issue…

Secondly, and most importantly, if you have visited the distillery, the design of the bottle pictured in the post is amazingly similar (if not identical) to the still that K.B.D. had custom made for them by Vendome. Also, it looks like the still that is pictured on the logo of their business card… Hmmm…

Now, certainly, there has never been a lock on bottles in the shape of a still being used in the past. Bottles in the shape of a still have been used for a good long time. Without researching, Glenmorangie, Caol Ila and Suntory quickly come to mind as having issued bottles in the shape of a still…maybe even in the shape of their own stills. In that case, no one would want to copy one of those bottles. (And, BTW, none of those bottles look alike) One might want to keep in mind that every producer that has a still or stills and most, if not all of those stills, has a unique design exclusive to that distillery…K.B.D’s bottle looks like their still…I don’t see a problem.

Anyway…Let’s keep it positive…I think we should rejoice and embrace ANY new product brought to the market at a time when stocks are shrinking and prices are going up, especially if the product is Single Barrel or Un-chillfiltered or Un-cut or all of the above. Thanks KBD!

Oh yea...KBD should be producing "soon"...smile

Now, let me get back to drinking my Kulsveen Kool-Aid…where did I leave that sippycup?

I picked up 3 bottles today. I just cracked one open.

What a fantastic nose.

I will be back with tasting totes later.

Cheers !!!!

I was just teasing about the lawsuit and you're absolutely right, there never would have been a lawsuit if Barton hadn't used "wood" in the name.

So what is this stuff? i.e., who made it? Is it really pot still, and not just somebody using the doubler as an excuse to say "pot still" ala Michter's?

Anyway…Let’s keep it positive…I think we should rejoice and embrace ANY new product brought to the market at a time when stocks are shrinking and prices are going up, especially if the product is Single Barrel or Un-chillfiltered or Un-cut or all of the above. Thanks KBD!

Agreed on keeping it positive. I was just joining in on a little fun as well by alluding to the troubles of the past with names. I would be very shocked if something similar occurred here with the shape of a bottle.

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these to give it a try. Seems that it may be a bit tough to find.

So what is this stuff? i.e., who made it? Is it really pot still, and not just somebody using the doubler as an excuse to say "pot still" ala Michter's?

Only Drew could answer this question.

Good luck in getting anything out of him on that...

My guess that it is whiskey they sourced on the bulk market or in a private transaction, most of which require source secrecy. It is not any whiskey they made on the new equipment...that is not quite up and running yet.

As to the pot still question, they will be able to make a completely pot stilled product...even a triple distillation, like the process used in Ireland or the lowlands of Scotland. My understanding is that the stills will be able to be used together in certain combinations or as completely separate units. Should be interesting.

Really looking forward to tasting it in a couple days...

On a completely side note, but appropriate to be posted in this section, I could mention that there are 4 samples under review for the next bottling...I got to taste from a bout 8 or 9 barrels of some 15yo bourbon last week and four of them were to my liking . Out of those four, three of them are quite outstanding. Roger and the East Bay Gang are hopefully going to taste these samples this weekend at their study group. After we compare notes some decisions will need to be made as to how many barrels will be bottled...we’ll keep ya posted!

Of course they will be barrel proof, unfiltered, single barrel juice! (You didn't expect anything less, did ya?)

Cheers!

As to the pot still question, they will be able to make a completely pot stilled product...even a triple distillation, like the process used in Ireland or the lowlands of Scotland. My understanding is that the stills will be able to be used together in certain combinations or as completely separate units. Should be interesting.

Sounds very interesting. The products that come forth down the road should be very interesting as well......really looking forward to that day. Any idea how long before they will be up and running?

Sounds very interesting. Any idea how long before they will be up and running?

I doubt anyone has asked Drew that same question more than I…

So, without regard to a specific date, I posed the question as to what to look for in the construction process that would indicate distillation was imminent?

(BTW, these days, weather permitting, there are more construction workers on the property than there are distillery staff, including the bottling hall crew. As a result, there is a lot of progress on a daily basis compared to that of the last 20 years. I hope not to get in trouble for posting the progress, but, the steam pipe is in place for the stills and doublers and cooker. The SS processing pipe is now being installed to the rest of the support equipment. Electricals and motors/pumps are now setting in place ready to go. The floor in the beer still tower is almost finished…one no longer takes their life in their hands to get the view from the top floor outlook. The additional copper sections of the beer still and the condensers are all hanging in place to suggest the main components is all there. The grain distribution and milling equipment is currently being finalized.… Brick work and stone work is moving along and is quite beautiful. But those are more finishing touches for the tourist that will someday be able to view the process…I digress)

I’m looking for the installation of the fuel tank for the boiler (it goes in the ground)...then we’re getting’ close!

I’m hoping for an early spring…and the ground will thaw soon…as I wipe the drool from my chin in anticipation of that first spirit to flow from the “pipeâ€. In the meantime I’ll just drink my Kool-Aid or some Feckin Whiskey.

BTW, for those that don’t/can’t have the opportunity to visit, the family is not tearing down any of the original buildings. (It would most definitely be less expensive scrape off the old to build the new) They are gutting out and refurbishing to bring the existing structures up to the current building codes in an effort to maintain the history and charm that was the “Original Willettâ€

My guess that it is whiskey they sourced on the bulk market or in a private transaction, most of which require source secrecy. It is not any whiskey they made on the new equipment...that is not quite up and running yet.

(bolding in the above is mine)

I think this claim of "source secrecy" by bulk whiskey buyers is more obfuscation than fact. When Willie Nelson, for example, wanted to disclose Heaven Hill as the source of his Whiskey River Bourbon, Heaven Hill was happy to oblige, and had him in for pictures and everything. Likewise Luxco identifies Heaven Hill as the source for its Rebel Yell Bourbon. The Pogues also were very forthcoming when they introduced their bourbon, which was Heaven Hill whiskey sourced through KBD.

In Scotland, where there are a lot more distilleries and where distillery names and brand names, for single malts at least, are one in the same, and where bulk sales to blenders are common, the distilleries tried without success to prevent independent bottlers from identifying the sources of their whiskey. Logo designs, package designs and things like that are protected, but the courts ruled that if saying, "this whiskey was made at Glen Whatchamacallit" is a true statement, then the bottlers are allowed to make it, whether the distillers like it or not.

Of course, a sale of bulk whiskey could well be made on the condition that the source not be revealed, which would give the distiller a civil cause of action if the bottler did reveal it, and the contract could be written in such a way that the mere breach would entitle the distiller to some kind of award, without having to prove damages, but I've never seen such a contract or heard from a distiller that they insist on such a contract when they make bulk sales.

No, who I hear it from are the bottlers, who frequently have also created a mythology intended to lead consumers to believe they made the product they bottled. Then when somebody like me asks them who really did make it, they come up with this "source secrecy" thing.

In fairness to KBD, they have never used the "source secrecy" excuse with me. They either tell me where it came from, give me enough information to figure it out, or just tell me they're not going to tell me, all of which are fine with me. So I'm definitely not pointing a finger at them about this, but I've certainly heard it from others, most recently Templeton and High West.

Tell me to go f*** myself, tell me it's none of my g** d*** business, but don't lie to me and treat me like a chump.

While I don't think Heaven Hill or Barton, who are the sources for most bulk whiskey, really care, I can imagine somebody like Jim Beam, who only sells bulk occasionally, when they find they have overproduced for their needs, demanding non-disclosure. Brown-Forman, on the other hand, can't wait to tell me who they're making whiskey for, so I can't believe they swear the customers to secrecy.

I doubt anyone has asked Drew that same question more than I…

So, without regard to a specific date, I posed the question as to what to look for in the construction process that would indicate distillation was imminent?

(BTW, these days, weather permitting, there are more construction workers on the property than there are distillery staff, including the bottling hall crew. As a result, there is a lot of progress on a daily basis compared to that of the last 20 years. I hope not to get in trouble for posting the progress, but, the steam pipe is in place for the stills and doublers and cooker. The SS processing pipe is now being installed to the rest of the support equipment. Electricals and motors/pumps are now setting in place ready to go. The floor in the beer still tower is almost finished…one no longer takes their life in their hands to get the view from the top floor outlook. The additional copper sections of the beer still and the condensers are all hanging in place to suggest the main components is all there. The grain distribution and milling equipment is currently being finalized.… Brick work and stone work is moving along and is quite beautiful. But those are more finishing touches for the tourist that will someday be able to view the process…I digress)

I’m looking for the installation of the fuel tank for the boiler (it goes in the ground)...then we’re getting’ close!

I’m hoping for an early spring…and the ground will thaw soon…as I wipe the drool from my chin in anticipation of that first spirit to flow from the “pipeâ€. In the meantime I’ll just drink my Kool-Aid or some Feckin Whiskey.

BTW, for those that don’t/can’t have the opportunity to visit, the family is not tearing down any of the original buildings. (It would most definitely be less expensive scrape off the old to build the new) They are gutting out and refurbishing to bring the existing structures up to the current building codes in an effort to maintain the history and charm that was the “Original Willettâ€

Good news Doug, I really hope they get going some time later this year.

Leif

Does anyone know if they (KBD) will be sharing this product with the great state of Texas? I've e-mailed Drew, but so far there's no reply.

Better yet, is there anyone reading this who might be willing to get a few of those bottles to a new home in Texas:grin: ?

Regards,

~tp

From Malt Advocate: http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/01/18/fridays-pick-willett-single-barrel-estate-reserve-bourbon/

Drew Kulsveen Says:

January 22nd, 2008 at 12:11 pm

This is a new product for us that we are very excited about. It is separate from the brand that Mike mentioned above. The item that Mike is referring to is called Willett Family Estate Single Barrel Bourbon/Rye. It is what we consider our barrel selection program. The Bourbon that John review is a completely different item. It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proot in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still from the pot still that we have in place. We just shipped the first of it last week to our customer in California and should be available in the Californian market by the end of this month. It will be released in Kentucky next and be available by the beginning of February. It will be released in New York and New Jersey in March. Illinois in March, Indiana in March, and other markets to follow. If any one has questions regarding this item please contact me at Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd.

From Malt Advocate: http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/01/18/fridays-pick-willett-single-barrel-estate-reserve-bourbon/

Drew Kulsveen Says:

January 22nd, 2008 at 12:11 pm

This is a new product for us that we are very excited about. It is separate from the brand that Mike mentioned above. The item that Mike is referring to is called Willett Family Estate Single Barrel Bourbon/Rye. It is what we consider our barrel selection program. The Bourbon that John review is a completely different item. It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proot in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still from the pot still that we have in place. We just shipped the first of it last week to our customer in California and should be available in the Californian market by the end of this month. It will be released in Kentucky next and be available by the beginning of February. It will be released in New York and New Jersey in March. Illinois in March, Indiana in March, and other markets to follow. If any one has questions regarding this item please contact me at Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd.

Tim,

Thanks - I had seen that posting at Malt Advocate, and immediately sent Drew an e-mail to see if 'other markets to follow' might include Texas.

So far, no reply from Drew, but I'm sure he's a busy fellow.

~tp

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.