Bourbon Festival 2002 Update

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I am pleased to announce that Vickie and I will be attending this years Bourbon Festival. The General Nelson Best Western is booked solid for that weekend and has a waiting list of 11. I was lucky enough to get all three nights booked in the Daniel Boone room in the historic Talbott Tavern. The Talbott has a great resturant and bar. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends again and meeting new ones. You just can't beat the vibe of old Bardstown, and the Straight Bourbon comraderie is the real magic that makes it all worthwhile.

Hail Bourbon & Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I can't wait to get there. There is so much I want to do, & so many I want to meet. We are staying 2 nights at the Best Western, and one night somewhere else (my wife knows the reservation) pending a cancellation (we are one of those lucky 11, Linn). I hope someone does so we don't have to shuffle our stuff in the middle of the trip. Becasuse this is our first trip we don't know the ins and outs much, so we will have to make buds quick to show us aroundwink.gif. . . . especially to the cheap liquor outlets!!!!!laugh.gif!!

Rock On

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

For anyone needing lodging go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bardstowntourism.com>http://www.bardstowntourism.com</A> and click on accommodations. Rooms are in short supply during the Bourbon Festival so it is always wise to get your reservations early.

If all else fails Elizabethtown is about 30 miles west and they have a ton of rooms.

Linn Spencer

I will check on the Sherwood Inn in New Haven (my hometown) there is a bed and breakfast----It's a real nice place with a restaurant and a bar.....It has been in the Johnson family for 4 genrations....... located right beside the Kentucky Railway Museum...... 12 miles from Bardstwon..........

Bettye Jo

can't beat them johnsons ' damn good name. Dennis L. Johnson from st. louie.. sorry, too much 1849 that was distilled in 61 and bottled in 71.--life is good-den

We're going to be in the Best Western frmo Monday till Saturday night with the exception of Friday night... There is a waiting list for that night since there is a wedding going on and they said that the wedding party overbooked rooms, so there is a good chance of also getting that night. Hope to see all of you down there at the gazebo!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That is heartening news Mark. In the gazebo thread you asked Omar if you should bring the 20 year old Hirsch and I think you should. The Giammarcos have told me that they are bringing some 16 year old Hirsch. Now if someone would bring along a bottle of 20 year old Van Winkle (the wheated version) that would provide for quite a flavorful juxtaposition of soothing bourbonic sensations. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...Bleeeeeeeee!smile.gifcool.gif

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

All my fabulous new friends are gonna bring kewl-ass bourbonds like Hirsch 20 year and you know I am gonna arrive with something Like a bottle of old crow or sumthing I can see it noe LOLlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif!!!!!! I suppose I will have to seek guidance for the ringer I need to make a good impression once I get down there. The stunted Ohio selection keeps me from trying things like Hirsch & Van Winkle products, It is soooooo sad. I just might have to make a pit stop in Covington and just find the kewlest thing there is there, and suprise you all with it.

Ah who knows, I just know I am in for a helluva treat either way!!! ROCK ON!!

Tom (the Self-Deprecating) C

PS I dont know why I wrote this, I'm just batty, OK!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You've been drinkin' again haven't you? Well damn! Imagin that! One of the very best things about this forum is that we all know when the bourbon is talkin'. The only problem (if it is a problem) is that we like to listen! Go figure.

Did I hear someone say "Bleeeeeeee!"?

Linn Spencer

People who post on Bourbon Forums who LIKE TO DRINK?!?!?!?!?!?!???

say it ain't so!

laugh.giflaugh.gif

TomC

Just be sure that you leave your trunk empty for the ride home so you can fill it up with a year's worth of the bourbon you can't get where you live... We ended up doing that last year (and had the back seat filled up with our luggage...)

• 1 month later...

This was in my local newspaper, The Kentucky Standard.....

Bourbon Festival named to Kentucky's Top Ten

State tourism council bestows latest honor

Organizers of Bardstown's Kentucky Bourbon Festival have another reason to raise their julep glasses.

The festival now entering its second decade, has been chosen as one of Kentucky's top 10 fall events by the Kentucky Tourism Council.

The council made the announcement Friday.

"Every little bit helps", said Pam Gover, executive director of the festival. The recognition helps, because it helps make people more aware of who we are an what we are.

There's no way, Gover said, to quantify how much bounce the Bourbon Festival gets from such a designation. Earlier this summer, it was named one of the top 10 fall events in the Southeast.

It's grown so much every year, Gover said. We really cant't tell what effect it has unless people come up to us and say, We heard about this here or there.

Last year, some 25,000 people flocked from around the world to the event which celebrates the passion art and history that is Kentucky bourbon.

On Friday, festival offices were buzzing with phone call from potential Bourbon Festival celebrants.

We've had calls from the Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, France, Poland, all over the world.and from all over the United States and across Canada, Gover said. For every 10 calls, seven of them are from out of state.

A panel of impartial judges selects the Kentucky Tourism Council top 10. Criteria includes popularity of the event its impact on the local tourism economy and its cultural and historical significance.

The five day celebration set for Sept. 18-22 features some 30 major events, from entertainiment to cooking to the Great Kentucky Bourbon Tasting Gala. The Bourbon Festival wasn't the only area attraction to garner the top 10 ranking. Berheim Forest's Colorfest to be held in Clermont Oct. 19 and 20 alos made the elite list.

The Kentucky Tourism Council is a 450 member organizatiuon represting all sectors of the state's tourism industry.

Bettye Jo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

One Month and counting! Who's a-comin'? Who's a-whimpin' out! Rock the Gazbo! Sound off if your a-comin'! Be sure to bring "lawyers; guns, and money!". cool.gif

Ill be get there weds night and be chillin through saturday!! My boss just approved the time off and I double checked the reservations, I am amped!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Tom (I have to show up, If only to pick up my T-Shirt) C

We're going there, leaving the saturday before and stopping for a night in Louisville, We have a room at the best western every night except friday i think...

Our friends mark and stacy are coming as well...

Ok then, Chris is bringing down the 16 yr hirsch and Ill bring the 20 Year. It should be interesting to try them both next to each other finally!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Mark! You can bet I'll give them my utmost attention and render a purely unprofessional opinion. Comparing and contrasting rare and expensive bourbons is one of my better skills. laugh.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.