What do you do to add to the fun of drinking bourbon?

NickAtMartinis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm just curious what you all have come up with to make bourbon experimenting/tasting more fun, i.e., vatting, mixers, tastings, blind tastings, bourbon get togethers, types of get togethers, drinking games, etc.

So, if you like, please add your comments in this thread with some of the fun things you've done to make bourbon experimenting/tasting more fun.

I'm into tasting. Bring out plenty of bottles, have a bunch of guys over to watch some sports event, and try different bourbons or single malts. People make new friends and we usually have a great time just talking.

My most enjoyable bourbon drinking is when I can have a quiet hour or so by myself and have a large bourbon on-the-rocks and sit down in my leather armchair with a good book.

I also enjoy parties where I can answer all the stupid questions from people who can't believe I like bourbon straight or on-the-rocks.

Tim

I also enjoy parties where I can answer all the stupid questions from people who can't believe I like bourbon straight or on-the-rocks.

Tim

Yup... I like it the most when I poor them a little. I usually go for something like the Parker or Stagg... just a little bit... then I let them have all the JD and coke they want :grin:

While enjoying a pour or two I enjoy catching up on some bourbon history. Anywhere from reading a book or searching out some results on one of the websites. The Houston get together I was a blast and have done some dusty hunting with some great people. Also, have had a goodtime with some rebarreling experiments. Lots of other things on the to-do list.

A movie is a great way to kick back and relax and a glass of whiskey to go along with it makes it that much better. It's nice because both hands are free so you can hold the glass the whole time and let it warm up. Every now and then I'll drink while I'm playing games on the pc, since I usually play fps/deathmatch type games I'll take a sip every couple of times I get myself killed. It's a good consolation prize for not getting the kill. :)

Read the "Off Topic" section of this site.

I read the Off Topic board here quite often. Am I missing something?

Like Spun Cookie, I'm a music hound. Or, more specifically, a jazz head. 'Taint nothing better than sipping a bourbon while listening to some old jazz LP, whether it be Monk, Duke, Mingus or some obsure tenor player from Detroit or San Antonio in the fifties.

Sometimes I'll slip on the headphones, but more often I'll just kick back with a good book, or the newly-arrived latest issue of a favorite magazine. Lately I've been doing this while the newest feline addition to the household chews on me, my book, or both.

Larry

I read the Off Topic board here quite often. Am I missing something?

I think John meant that he reads the Off Topic section to add to the fun of drinking bourbon. I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.

I think John meant that he reads the Off Topic section to add to the fun of drinking bourbon. I could be wrong, but that's how I took it.

That makes sense. I just wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask him.

Music is always good with bourbon.

I have been listening to a lot of different radio staions from around the country.

It is nice to hear new music, Detroit radio and here in Mid-Michigan radio is very bad for new music.

Even before Classic Rock came out we always called Detroit radio Dinosaur Rock.

I've picked up CD's from what I have heard, it's nice.

That makes sense. I just wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask him.

Yup, that what I meant... having a good pour at hand helps put it all in a better perspective.

what kind of music... like bluegrass? bluess? jazz? heavy metal? classical? I am into fusion myself..... I like bluegrass too....

what kind of music... like bluegrass? bluess? jazz? heavy metal? classical? I am into fusion myself..... I like bluegrass too....

All kinds of music, I like it all. Well I really don't listen to metal or classical.

But bluegrass, jazz, soul, hip-hop, rock, country or more specifically alternative country.

Thats why I have six different radio stations booked for easy access to stream.

One is in your town, WDVX.

For me, it's the Blues...

Depends on a couple of things:

Sometimes I use the music to set the tone for the bourbon, based on my mood...

Other times I will let the bourbon set the tone for the music and my mood... ;)

I like to play a little guitar, listen to music, or on Saturday night I listen to a prairie home companion.

Craig

I'm a Prairie Home fan myself (used to live in the Twin Cities). Enjoy listening by the fire with a nice pour in hand.

chatting up babes on the net can be fun, watching the news.... actually, I talk to mywife more when I have had some than otherwise..... It makes me more talkative.... not at work mind you....

Watching film noir or old detective movies with a glass in hand is always an enjoyable experience. Those hard-boiled dicks like their whiskey alright.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.