Barrel House 1

Chris
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While flipping through Murray's bourbon book, I read about a whiskey at JD called "Barrel House 1". Murray says its for sale only at the distillery and seems to like it. Is this stuff still available in Lynchburg? Anyone tried this before?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Been there; read that; I'm as curious as you are.

I've just assumed that the current Jack Daniel's Single Barrel replaced Barrel House 1. I'm sure someone around here will set me straight, if they ever look at new posts in the non-bourbon headings.

I have a bottle of JDSB, and I cannot believe it starts out as the same whiskey as JD No. 7. By comparison the licorice is very subdued, and the oily finish is much less pronounced. I don't know that I'll buy another bottle when this one is finished, but it _will_ be finished, which is more than I can say for sure about my current bottles of No. 7 and Gentleman Jack (both of which I really thought I liked until I rediscovered bourbon a while back).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Dave and Chris,

Barrelhouse 1 is packaged as a collector's bottle in a fancy decanter to commemorate one of the oldest operating barrelhouses at JD: Barrelhouse 1, tract 1.

It was originally released in 1994 in limited quantity then re-issued in 1999 due to collector demand. I'm not aware of additional/current availability. If it's sold in Lynchburg, let us know its price.

Fancy decanter aside, Barrelhouse 1 should taste a bit different than regular JD No. 7-- as it is bottled at a higher proof (94) and in small batches from barrels stored in that historic aging house.

Best regards,

Omar

In 1994, Tennessee passed a law (undoubtedly at the behest of JD) permitting distilleries to sell souvenir bottles of their product, despite being located in a dry county. I think there was a limit of one per customer. "Barrelhouse 1" was the result. I don't believe it is single barrel. I also recall that Dickel, which was still operating at the time, came up with something similar. There was talk about doing the same thing in Kentucky, but it never materialized.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.