Wiser's

Taggerung
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I live in Metro Detroit and venture across the river to Windsor, Ontario quite regularly. The Canadian Club distillery has been there in the Walkerville neighborhood forever essentially, and then one day last summer the signs came down and up went the Wiser's signs.

It looks as though Canadian Club and Wiser's are owned and/or distributed by the same parent company, but my real question is this. Does Wiser's make anything of interest? I wouldn't mind stopping in and picking something up to try if it was worth it. Any recommendations or should I stay away?

-Tim

Hiram Walker (Canadian Club) became part of Beam Global upon the sale of Allied Domeq, so this is their doing although I don't know anything about it.

Does Wiser's make anything of interest? I wouldn't mind stopping in and picking something up to try if it was worth it. Any recommendations or should I stay away?

-Tim

In Ontario, from the Wizer's line-up we get...

- Wizer's Special Blend

- Wizer's Deluxe

- Wixer's Reserve

- Wizer's Very Old (18yr)

- Wizer's Red Letter (Special 150th Anniversary ed)

I like the 18yr old, just not the price point. That goes even more for the Red Letter. Haven't tried the others in ages. Sorry I can't be more help.

I enjoy the Deluxe and have several with tax stamp and a 10yr Age Statement still on them. Very affordable even in Detroit! $13-15 bucks!

Tony

Wiser's Very Old is probably my favorite Canadian whisky. Very rich, sweet, and elegant.

Wiser's Reserve is a little stronger (86 proof), and drier. Wiser's Deluxe is fairly sweet and easy-drinking.

Do either of you drink Deluxe neat? And thanks for the replies.

I stopped in a year or so ago because in the summer they always have a sign out front about tour hours. I thought it would be great to see inside as I've never been on a distillery tour before. I was so disappointed. All you get to "tour" is the historical Hiram Walker office building and on that tour you get to sit and watch a video about the distillation of Canadian Club whisky. I didn't go on the tour.

-Tim

I recently purchased a 750ml bottle of Wiser's DeLuxe , mainly just to have a Canadian that wasnt Crown or Club. I havent tried it yet but it was only 13.99 at worst I can always (hopefully) pawn it off as a mixer with coke.

Do either of you drink Deluxe neat? And thanks for the replies.

I stopped in a year or so ago because in the summer they always have a sign out front about tour hours. I thought it would be great to see inside as I've never been on a distillery tour before. I was so disappointed. All you get to "tour" is the historical Hiram Walker office building and on that tour you get to sit and watch a video about the distillation of Canadian Club whisky. I didn't go on the tour.

-Tim

I've had the Deluxe neat a few times. It's rather typical, certainly not bad if you're not expecting too much. Sweet, but not as well-balanced as Crown Royal. These are the impressions I have from memory, anyway...

• 3 weeks later...
I enjoy the Deluxe and have several with tax stamp and a 10yr Age Statement still on them.

I've been drinking one of these 10yo tax stamped bottles tonight. The whiskey is exceptionally light, but also dripping with brown sugar and vanilla. Not much finish to speak of, but man, does it go down smooth.

I'm a fan of the old stuff. Now I need to buy a bottle of the current release to compare. The whiskey I've been drinking was bottled the year I was born. :cool:

Thanks again, Tony!

• 1 month later...

I received a bottle of the 18yr expression. I would not have purchased it on my own, but it turned out to be a wonderful gift.

Very elegant, and rather full-bodied for an 80pf. In fact, if I tasted it blind I would not guess is was only 80. Wood, caramel, and more butterscotch than is typical. I recommend it highly.

Oh, about it's provenance, I made some notes when i got it. It's advertised as being distilled at the Corby Distillery, Ontario. However my internet research suggests it has been distilled and bottled at the Hiram Walker distillery since the 1980s.

I received a bottle of the 18yr expression. I would not have purchased it on my own, but it turned out to be a wonderful gift.

Very elegant, and rather full-bodied for an 80pf. In fact, if I tasted it blind I would not guess is was only 80. Wood, caramel, and more butterscotch than is typical. I recommend it highly.

I just finished my bottle of the 18 last night. I find it has distinct maple notes on the nose. Even the flavour has a way of bringing autumn forests to mind...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.