Youngun trying to get a sophisticated Pallate

jackvalentine
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I discovered bourbon and everything that goes with it with my dad when I was about 16. He taught me the basics, when I went off to college, everyone drank Early Times or Jim Beam. Both of which still make me sick to even smell. I am curious for suggestions. I am a fan of Jack Daniels (I know, I know its tennessee whiskey), Woodford Reserve, Ridgemont Reserve (1894?), Buffalo Trace, etc. Basically what I have discovered is either I have an incredibly sophisticated pallate, or am still just a rookie. I would love any suggestions that y'all would offer me. I'm on a quest to try as many as I can until winter is over and the summer beer season comes upon us.

Welcome to the site, great to have you. Where are you from it will help with the selection in your area! If it were me I'd give the Eagle Rare Single Barrel a try and if you can get it some Weller 12 and Four Roses single barrel as well!

I like all three of them and think you may as well!

Cheers and enjoy your whiskey Journey!

Tony

JV,

Glad you are enjoying the site. Lots of great info at your finger-tips, here.

I can only suggest that you try every bourbon and rye that is in your budget, at least once. Before you move on to the next pour....leave some in the bottle to compare to the next purchase (head to head). Don't be afraid to try some inexpensive brands along with the top shelfers. Sometimes a bad bourbon can teach you more about your pallet than a good one. Learn about mashbills as well, they tell you what percentages your pallet appreciates in corn and rye. I prefer heavy rye mashbills with a little corn(Turkey Rye) -or- heavy corn with a little rye(Old Charter). For some reason whats in between them does not interest me as much.

Good luck in your adventure.

Welcome.

You can't go wrong with Weller 12 or Weller Antique. If you like Buffalo Trace, give Eagle Rare Single Barrel a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.