Bardstown Restaurant Recommendations

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We will be headed to Bardstown for the first time in April and would like to know where we can have a nice dinner as well as a good selection of bourbon's. We have heard a lot of good things bout Bourbon Bistro in Louisville but were hoping to find something a bit closer to Bardstown.

TIA for your help and advice...

Best bet is Xavier's Restaurant & Lounge, which is on the lower level of Spalding Hall, i.e., it's right under the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History. It's legitimate fine dining, on a par with Bourbon's Bistro, and the bourbon selection is good. After that, it drops off pretty fast. Finding a good bourbon selection in Bardstown isn't a problem, but after Xavier's the food is mediocre at best.

Kurtz Restaurant is pretty good for traditional Kentucky fare, but they don't serve alcohol. The Talbot Tavern has a bar and their food is comparable to Kurtz's. Basically, both are fine if you aren't too picky, but don't expect to have your world rocked.

If you're not particular about traditional Kentucky food, try Kreso's. I know they have a fine bar and while I haven't eaten there, the fare is eastern European, as is the family that owns the place. There are also some surprisingly good Mexican restaurants in Bardstown. I like El Camino.

Also, there is a good BBQ place not far from Bardstown, called Bryan's Hog Wild. It's in Lebanon Junction, but they don't have alcohol.

Like I said, pickings in Bardstown are pretty slim.

Hey Reid, one of the reasons we do the catered pre-Sampler dinner at the Best Western is that good restaurants with a good bourbon/wine selection aren't in Bardstown. You have to go to Louisville or Lexington for that. No offense to anyone who feels differently, its just how many of us feel. Louisville is less than an hour away and would be your best bet for a nice dinner or lunch. I know this isn't much help. There is some pretty good BBQ in Bardstown.

Randy

No booze, but very good food if your simply looking for a quick meal (buffet style) is Stephen Foster Restaurant (503 W Stephen Foster Ave, Bardstown, KY 40004) we allways eat dinner there after a trip to Maker's

There is a nice Chinese buffet in the shopping centre just north of town (where you'd turn left to go to Clermont instead of north on Route 31).

Gary

Plus there is the buffet right next to General Nelson which offers a nice choice of Kentucky food and a great breakfast.

Neither this place nor the Chinese one is fine dining to be sure but it is good food at a good price. The Chinese place has a bar, not sure about this other one, I think it does not. You could have a drink at Talbott's and then go over for some nice buffet fare.

Never tried Kelso or Kurtz but they sound good.

In Louisville, Bourbon Bistro is hard to beat and there is another place downtown, quite hip, on the Distillery Row (where the former distillery head offices are and HH still owns a building), can't recall its name, very swish and good.

Gary

I really appreciate the input!!! Looks like there is enough to keep us happy in Bardstown and not have to make the drive to Louisville. Friday is easy given the great dinner planned....!!!

Plus there is the buffet right next to General Nelson which offers a nice choice of Kentucky food and a great breakfast.

That's the place Catdaddy mentioned, the Stephen Foster Restaurant. They don't have a bar.

In Louisville, Bourbon Bistro is hard to beat and there is another place downtown, quite hip, on the Distillery Row (where the former distillery head offices are and HH still owns a building), can't recall its name, very swish and good.

It is called Proof, a restaurant and bar, and is part of the 21c Museum Hotel, which is owned by a member of the Brown family, of Brown-Forman.

Check out the Rosemark Haven B&B.

They serve fine food and wine but alas, no bourbon.

It could be the best meal in Bardstown.

There is no first class bar in Bardstown!!!

Seems like a crime, but its true. Although the selection is generally good, none are places you would feel right ordering a cocktail UP.

It is called Proof, a restaurant and bar, and is part of the 21c Museum Hotel, which is owned by a member of the Brown family, of Brown-Forman.

Leslie and I had dinner there during the Festival last year, along with Ed, Patty, Randy and Val. The food was very good. Interesting experience walking through the museum to the restrooms. Well stocked, hip bar. Two thumbs up!

Check out the Rosemark Haven B&B.

They serve fine food and wine but alas, no bourbon.

It could be the best meal in Bardstown.

I stayed there once and had their breakfast as part of the package but didn't know they are now operating as a restaurant. By all means, they are very good and the home itself is terrific. It's very similar to the My Old Kentucky Home house, but you can stay there, eat there, hang out. It's not like staying in a historic home. It is staying in a historic home. Very cool.

They also have, on the grounds, at least one whole, small house you can rent. Very cool place, nice people.

There is a nice Chinese buffet in the shopping centre just north of town (where you'd turn left to go to Clermont instead of north on Route 31).

Gary

There's a Lee's Famous Recipe Fried Chicken up there, too, which isn't fine dining or even anything other than fast food, but it is a cultural thing. Lee Cummings was president of KFC before the colonel sold it. I love the story, and I like the chicken.

.... sounds like fried chicken for lunch one day!!!

There are many restaurants in Bardstown.

With all that goes on during Sampler and Festival it takes a while to cover everything and there's never enough time to take it all in. Newbies can spend a lot of time on the road to Louisville to get something to eat. In my opinion, the traveling out is for the one's who made the trail and have been to the events, distillery tours, sightseeing kinda thing.

It takes awhile to hit the Bourbon Trail.

I've lived in Nelson County my entire life. Newbies need to see that there is quite a bit that Bardstown has to offer :grin: :grin:

Here's a list of places I frequent...

There are a few that I don't have the "exact" address or phone because they are new...These are my recommendations. Although, tastes varies from person to person, some folks like chocolate and some like vanilla...this is just my way of trying to help guide the new one's coming to see us year after year :grin:

Please take note that all phone number's have a 502 area code, 245 is also known as John Rowan Blvd, North 3rd is the main drag in Bardstown.

Fast food...Most all of these are located on N. 3rd and 245...The McDonald's is on 52--Loretto Rd (the road to Heaven Hill)

Arby's

Sonic

Moby Dick

Dairy Queen

Taco Bell

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Lee's Famous Recipe

Wendy's

Hardee's

McDonald's

Burger King

Long John Silver's

A&W

Subway (3) locations

Penn Station Subs

Quizno's sub's

Domino's Pizza

Pizza Hut

Bearino's Pizza

Papa John's Pizza

Baskin-Robbin's 228 N. 3RD

Dining...

Hawks II--Loretto Rd. within view of HH. Old building new restaurant formerly Hurst's restaurant. This place has a excellent steak dinner...Sorry, I don't have the phone number.

A brand new Mexican Restaurant on 245 past the new Wal-Mart. We order take out from work, they deliver to us because there are so many order :grin: ) Most excellent :grin:

Hunan Chinese Restaurant...705 Bloomfield Rd. (502) 349-0716

B J's Bar and Grill. Max takes all of us ( Barrel Rolling Team) there as a "job well done" appreciation dinner :grin: 1008 Commerce Blvd. (502) 348-5070

Huddle House 1478 E. John Rowan (502) 349-0012

Chili's Grill and Bar 3766 E. John Rowan (502) 337-6120

Falozi's (attached to Chili's) same address (502) 348-0004

Ricaon Mexicano Restaurant 204 N. 3rd. (502) 349-0049 (formerly Dagwoods)

Mammy's Kitchen 114 N. 3RD. (502) 348-1097

Stephen Foster Restaurant 503 W Stephen Foster (502) 348-5076 (same road as the General Nelson (Gazebo) :grin:

Talbott Tavern 107 W. Stephen Foster (502) 348-3439

Kurtz Restaurant 418 E. Stephen Foster (502) 348-8964 located right across from the famous "My Old Kentucky Home" :grin: a state park and golf course located there too.

The Grill at Maywood, 130 Maywood Ave. (502) 348-6600

Quality Inn has a breakfast bar...New owner's have revamped the entire motel. A big improvement would be a understatement. (502) 348-9253. I have yet to try this place under the new management.

There are probably other's that I've forgotten and I hope I have not made mistakes in typing the telephone numbers. If so, I apologize in advance. T

Bardstwon is ranked one of the BEST small town places in America http://www.bardstowntourism.com/ :grin: :grin:

From Bettye Jo's fast food list, here are two that aren't on every street corner in America, and of which I am very fond.

Moby Dick - fried seafood heaven.

Penn Station Subs - just like in Jersey.

I should have mentioned BJ's before too. Good pub, good pub grub.

Penn Stations are showing up everywhere. I'm pretty sure it's a Cincinnati chain just starting major expansion.

The Moby Dick in Bardstown is brand new and, unlike just about every other fast food restaurant, sells beer. It's not a big selection, but it's beer.

Thanks for all the great info folks! We had planned on staying in Bardstown and not spending a lot of time driving to other spots. Too much to see and do in the area.

Thanks!!

The best way to enjoy Bardstown is to be open-minded and accept it for what it is, which isn't necessarily what you're expecting. I'm saying that as much to myself as to anyone reading this. There are some things about Bardstown that really irritate me but overall I always have a good time there and if you do get in the car, there is a lot to see and do in the immediate area, without going as far as Louisville or Lexington.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.