Wheat in the Afternoon; Rye at Night?

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple of nights ago I poured a couple of ounces of Maker's Mark into my haunted snifter and tried my best to enjoy it as I watched TV. The most enjoyable part of the experience was when I reached the bottom of the glass, meaning that I didn't have to drink any more of it that particular evening.

Yesterday afternoon I even considered dumping the bottle. Instead I poured a couple of ounces and braced myself. Hmmm... "This isn't as bad as I remembered", I thought, after the first taste. In fact, it just got better and better. "Is this the same bourbon that I hated the other night? Yep." Puzzling.

This afternoon I decided to have some Rebel Yell. I tossed in a couple of ice cubes, something I rarely do. "Hey! This stuff is better than I remembered. Pretty good, actually".

Last night I had some Old Overholt, for only the second time, and it was magnificent. I even went back for seconds. The first time I had tried it was the day I brought it home from the store, and in the middle of the afternoon it had tasted, I don't know, just sort of weird.

How many of you have found that certain drinks are consistently more enjoyable at a certain time of day or in a certain circumstance?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Dave,

FWIW, I find that Old Grand-dad 114 tastes best when enjoyed at sunset. And I couldn't tell you why, I just know that OGD 114 'suits me' as I watch the sunset.

Glad you found a time and place for your wheaters. As a fellow 'rye man', I was about to advise you not to throw out those wheaters. They make some very good cocktails, Maker's Mark or Rebel Yell in a Mint Julep is not to be sneezed at. These 'smoother' whiskeys make a mighty fine Old Fashioned as well. I do choose to reserve rye for my Manhattans and Sazeracs.

I have found that EWSB & Old Forrester taste better to me on warm days, and Blantons and Woodford's are better when it is chilly. Not an iron clad theory, but most of the time. I do find "The Fox" to be better in the afternoon (& Linn says its wheated, so maybe that lends creedence to your theory), and Maker's Mark isnt very good when I am trying to settle in.

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dave asked "How many of you have found that certain drinks are consistently more enjoyable at a certain time of day or in a certain circumstance?". That's a question worth pondering.

I like to start out my Sundays with the 'Fox' and then switch off to something big and bold in the evening. Things like Russell's Reserve; Woodford Reserve, or Knob Creek.

When I'm in the mood for a great single barrel it is usually late in the afternoon or early evening. Rarely will I switch off to something else unless I want to compare another single barrel bourbon to one another. It's pretty easy for me to drink up a half a bottle of something Like Blanton's or Wathen's over the course of an evening.

Sometimes I just want to do some damn drinkin' and no thinkin'! Things like Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old; Old Forester, Elijah Craig 12 year old, and Jim Beam Black Label are all great everyday drinkers that I can enjoy at any time or place.

I have found that Baker's is a great after sex bourbon. I don't drink as much of this as I would like. wink.gif

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

"I have found that Baker's is a great after sex bourbon. I don't drink as much of this as I would like."

That might give new meaning to the old chant;

'Pattycake, Pattycake, Bakers Man ...'

The only time I switch of to what I would consider a lesser bourbon is when I start with a double Woodford and go to Old Forester for the rest of the day, if I felt the need for more. The similarities trigger the great sensation of drinking the WR and seem to bring OF to the next level, improving the entire experience!!

TomC

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am gonna have to take the time of day into more consideration when working on the tastings I post every now & again, because it seems the time of day can affect you impressions as much as anything else. I am working on a tasting now and I will try at different times of day, and see how that (and how close to a meal I taste) effects the impressions I have, if at all. I never really gave much thought to the time of day that I drink something until the opinions expressed in this thread.

Tom (food for thought, I guess) C

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's right Tom. There is no way you can just tackle any kind of accurate tasting right off of the cuff. A serious tasting takes serious planning. Don't eat any spicey food for 48 hours. This hurts me. My wife grows her own herbs and spices. Plus she loves peppers of all kinds. Therefore it is tough for me to have a bland diet that lets all the flavors in a bourbon hang out.

I let her know in advance that 'tasting times a-comin'', and she backs off of the spices. She also knows that I'll be using her nose to either validate my findings or to sort out anything I'm unsure of. Wives are marvelous creatures without which most men could not survive.

I'm the kind of guy that could make good use of several wives, but have only the one........

Good Christian Man That I Am >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Thats what I have learned & one of the main reasons I think my tastings have improved steadily. Better planning. Also, a very patient wife with some extraordinary smell receptors to help guide me when I stall out. It saddens her that she cant use her full cooking arsenal whe "tasting time" comes around but we get by . . . . . .wink.gif!

TomC

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

That's right Tom! Always, but aways tell your wife "I love your for your mind,honey, but I can't live without your nose!"

Then go out and buy all the bourbons she hasen't nosed yet! That means you need her all the more and her love for you only increases by leaps and bounds.

I've got this 'nosey woman/bourbon thing' down pat.

Someone hand me a 'see-gar'!

Yowzer! Yowzer!! Yowzer!!!

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.