Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary

nickynick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone had this yet? I saw it on their website. It is a blend 92 proof instead of the standard 80. According to the Diageo site it will be available this year everywhere, and then duty free after that. I emailed Brett at Binny's and he said it is at all their stores and is $89.99. Just wondering if anyone has tried it? I'm a big Bushmills fan and I'm thinking about picking up a bottle.

The place I work at just it in and I thought it was quite good. It sort of reminded me of Bushmills 16, albeit with a little more heat. No tasting notes from me, but they are available elsewhere. Sweet and well balanced would be my summary, based on the small sample I had.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1608 is very nice and the 92proof is perfect w/ just a touch of h2o.

It is basically around for just two years, although next year it will be very hard to find.

If you want a good value in the bushmills line grab the 10yr.

Ryan

Last night I attended a Bushmill tasting at Spec's downtown here in Houston. Colum Egan, the Master Distiller, made the presentation and did an excellent job. We sampled the Original, Black Bush, 10, 16, 21, and 1608. I was not previously very familiar with Bushmill, but was impressed with this line-up. The 1608 400th Anniversary was very good. There is no age statement and part of the whiskey comes from using a crystal malt, in which the malt is "gently toasted" with a final stream of very hot air at the end of the drying process which gives the malt a crystal like appearance. The crystal malt somewhat enhances the sweetness of the whiskey. I agree that it reminded me of the 16 with a smoother and slightly sweeter character.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I don't claim to be an expert on Bushmill's but a good friend laid a bottle of this on me tonight. Thanks, good buddy! It's quite delicious, with toffee and butterscotch notes, and enough proof (to this old bourbon hound) to give a proper mouthfeel. I have lately gained quite an appreciation for the Irish style of whiskey, and this is sweet like the best Jameson's with a bit more depth and bite. I will heartedly enjoy this bottle, a rare treat and a stellar example of the silky smooth Irish style.

• 10 months later...

Thanks to ThomasH I finally acquired some of this Irish nectar. I didn't have any Bushmills malt to compare it with but I did have Black Bush. Black Bush is my favorite Irish blend, in fact I prefer it to some of the Irish malts.

The first thing I noticed was the color. It was much redder than Black Bush(BB). My wife said ti was darker but she didn't notice the red as much as I did. We were on the back deck and she came out after fixing supper so it was fading light. The nose was maltier than BB. My wife said it didn't have mush nose compared to BB. I got a very sweet maltiness (maybe because of the crystal malt?) and a lot of wood on the pallet. A little smoke came through as well. The finish was lonnnnng and pleasant. Sweet but not the sickening candy sweet. The wood and smoke eventually overpowered the sweet. I now have a new favorite Irish Blend, but unfortunately it's not something I'll be able to get with regularity. I'd be interested to read other's tasting notes.

I overpaid for a pour of this at an Irish bar on Sunday. While it wasn't overtly offensive, I picked up ether/nail polish on the nose and very little on the palate or finish.

So much for broadening my horizons. :smiley_acbt:

I overpaid for a pour of this at an Irish bar on Sunday. While it wasn't overtly offensive, I picked up ether/nail polish on the nose and very little on the palate or finish.

So much for broadening my horizons. :smiley_acbt:

You sure that wasn't from your date?

You sure that wasn't from your date?

Nope, I'm not a broad! :lol:

I tried to introduce the Rouge to Red Breast but I dont think that went over so well either.

I didnt try the 1608 myself, my mother..... she was green!

Does this mean it was your first Irish?

I've had Irish whiskey many times before, but not that I can recall since I started drinking/collecting bourbon. The others that I tried Sunday were not offensive, but I failed to see any correlation between price and performance on this one.

Hey, it just means that there's more for you guys.

• 3 months later...

If you live in Michigan, this may be one that you want to try to find now, the state minimum price was cut in half ($49.99) and I was able to find a couple bottles around here. At that price point I think this is a real bargain now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.