Bardstown First Timer Advice

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll add to Bettye Jo's excellent list:

Near the Slugger Museum (within walking distance):

Frazier Museum

Louisville Science Center

Muhammad Ali Center

Also you'll be in Louisville during Derby Festival it may be a good time to go to the Chow Wagon on the Waterfront (Thursday the 24th is opening day). Also there's the new Kroger Fest-a-Ville at Waterfront Park, both within walking distance, a nice stroll anyway. Check out the Ky Derby Festival Website for events.

If you decide you don't want festival food and don't wanna drive to Bourbon's Bistro, another option to Proof is The Bristol Bar & Grille a truly local restaurant, if you wanna see what Louisville cuisine is like, this is the founder of the Louisville Bistro scene (disclaimer, I used to work for them). Both of these are within 2 blocks of Slugger.

Near Bardstown is Etown, and there is another car museum there, a small one but with much older classic cars, the Swope Cars of Yesteryear Museum much closer than the Vette museum, free to boot.

And if you like magic tricks, practical jokes, and costumes, there's a great novelty shop just west of the Louisville Slugger Museum.

http://www.caufields.com/

They do most of their business by mail and on line, but the retail store doesn't cost anything to visit.

Just a note of warning about going to Louisville on the Saturday of The Sampler.

The Derby Marathon and Mini-Marathon gridlock the city and not just downtown.

I run in it and the city is paralyzed with roads blocked for the runners.

Now, if you're walking or on a bike. Have at it.

I ended up in Boise for Derby week last year. I'm looking forward to finally being here for it. I was in town for the air show and fireworks, but I watched them from home.

If you want to catch a little Derby fever on what is the weekend before the blessed event, then do so by all means, but there is also a lot to be said (and, in my case, I've done plenty of Derbys) for getting through and out of town as expeditiously as possible.

There will be flutters of Derby fever going on in Bardstown too, but Louisville will be insane. Don't get me wrong, it's a good kind of insane, and I've done it many times. The main warning is don't think you can just dip your toe in for a little taste (as he briskly mixes his metaphors) and quickly move on. If you're in for a penny, it can quickly and unintentionally turn into a pound.

If you want to catch a little Derby fever on what is the weekend before the blessed event, then do so by all means,

There will be flutters of Derby fever going on in Bardstown too, but Louisville will be insane.

When I posted the link to Churchill Downs I didn't realize it was so close to Derby week. Derby week is very crowded and some folks (without advanced tickets) that go (infield, no ticket required--$20.00 a head) never even see a horse! Many of my friends go year after year after year.

The "Oaks" on Friday before the Derby is a big time event---Heaven Hill is nearly empty :bigeyes: :bigeyes: sick day, call in's :bigeyes:----Crowded? Yes...Great time :grin: is a understatement :grin: :grin:

I still recommend going to Churchill Downs :grin: if only a "drive by" :grin: It's Kentucky as Kentucky gets :grin: :grin:

We took Cliff to Churchill Downs not long ago :grin: :grin: see attachment. I asked one of the Churchill Downs workers to take a picture of all of us and please make sure you get the famous "twin spires" in the background. She did a fantastic job. It's obvious she's done that a time or two :grin:

post-20-1448981373754_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.