What's your "go to" Bourbon

Pill_Man
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Those of us who enjoy fine, hand-rolled cigars always have that "go to" cigar that never lets us down, and is always a pleasure to smoke.

Is there such a thing among Bourbon drinkers?

If so, I'd like to hear what your "go to" Bourbon is. The one that, regardless of how many Bourbons you have available to you, never disappoints you.

Thanx!

Doug...

Ain't Life Grand?! ~

____________________ ~

(___<<M>>____________}}}

Hi Doug,

I don't know, so many quality bourbons out there. I'd say Wild Turkey 101. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by it, and oddly enough, I don't recall anyone on this board having "dissed" it in the past.

It's readily available in just about every tiny liquor store in every tiny town in this country. I can't tell you how many times I've been camping in some remote area, went into town to pick up some booze and found WT in a 500 square foot grocery store. What a relief!

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Blanton's never fails to sooth my worried mind.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I would have to agree with Linn, although it is not my favorite bourbon, It never, ever fails to be good.

"If you don't like Blanton's, you just dont like bourbon."

In more budget based bourbons Old Forester is my go to because I always know what I'm gonna get, and what I get is good!

TomC

It's been 40 years since I've tried Old Forester, but I will be getting reacquainted with it soon. (I have a recently acquired bottle in the coat closet right now, awaiting its turn on my small liqour shelf.) This time my goal will be to enjoy drinking it, as opposed to getting as drunk as possible, as fast as possible.

I see that it is bottled at both 86 proof and 100 proof.

(See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.brown-forman.com/b-f_of.htm>http://www.brown-forman.com/b-f_of.htm</A> )

Do you have a preference? Do you know whether it's the same bourbon, but for the added water?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

I'm sure the 86 proof is the same whiskey, with more water added.

Always prefer the higher proof. Why buy water at whiskey prices? You get more flavor and can dilute to your taste preference.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

In the pantry, it depends on what I have on hand. In the store, it's probably Old Fitz BIB.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Doug:

My "desert island" bourbon has to be Rare Breed, and if I gotta go cheap, I'd go with Old Granddad BIB. Some Virginia/perique in my meerschaum, and I'm a happy man!

Ralph Wilps

I'd have to say my go-to bourbon is Knob Creek. I probably pour more of it during a week than anything else.

I would say it is a toss up between wild turkey rare breed and 15 year old van winkle 107 proof...

But i have been lately been 'going to' a bottle of jim beam black (7year 90 proof) because somehow this bottle found its way upstairs, while all the other bourbons are downstairs in the bourbon spot...

If I'm not mistaken, a kit is a diminutive form of fox; hence the modified subject of this post.

A couple of hours ago I finished mowing the yard and clearing out some accumulated trash. Reflecting on my labor, I felt especially virtuous, to the point where I felt I deserved a reward. I decided to sit on the front porch, in the shade of my two, lofty Carolina ash trees, and enjoy a glass of bourbon on the rocks while reading the latest issue of Offbeat magazine.

As I approached my liqour cabinet (actually a mere one shelf, a bottom shelf at that, among the kitchen cabinets), I didn't hesitate. I immediately reached for Virginia Gentleman red label. If any bourbon in my modest collection has a flavor that deserves to be called "refreshing", it is this one.

As I've mentioned before, I bought this bottling by mistake, not knowing that "The Fox", a 90 proof, six year-old version, is the one so highly recommended on this forum. If only all my mistakes could work out so well ...

When next month's bourbon allowance shows up, I'll be making a road trip to pick up a bottle of The Fox. In the meantime, hail to The Kit!

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Several others beat me to it, but I would also say my "Go to" bourbon is Rare Breed.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.