More training needed

scopenut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to a comedy club over the weekend which had a 2-drink minimum. When the waitress came by the table, I asked what bourbons they carried. She looked at me like I just landed from Mars, and said "I'm new here, I'll have to check". After awhile she returned, and proudly announced she had checked with the bar, and that they had "Southern Comfort, Makers Mark, Jim Beam, and Cutty Sark". Well, I guess 2 out of 4 isn't bad, but why do various other whisk(e)y products always get lumped into bourbon? This time not even JD, which is technically incorrect, but still closer. Usually I get Crown Royal thrown into the mix as well.

Will things ever get better?

-Kevin

Went to a comedy club over the weekend which had a 2-drink minimum. When the waitress came by the table, I asked what bourbons they carried. She looked at me like I just landed from Mars, and said "I'm new here, I'll have to check". After awhile she returned, and proudly announced she had checked with the bar, and that they had "Southern Comfort, Makers Mark, Jim Beam, and Cutty Sark". Well, I guess 2 out of 4 isn't bad, but why do various other whisk(e)y products always get lumped into bourbon? This time not even JD, which is technically incorrect, but still closer. Usually I get Crown Royal thrown into the mix as well.

Will things ever get better?

-Kevin

Kevin, there really doesn't appear to be that great of interest in bourbon, nationwide, sans the Jim Beam clientelle.

As a result, few people know/understand the difference between the various whisk(e)ys and what bourbon actually is. I do not see that changes anytime soon.

I don't like ordering drinks through a waiter or waitress, if there's a bar I'll go see what they have myself and buy it from the bartender. I can make sure it's not poured over ice this way, too. Up here in the sticks, the pickin's are very slim when it comes to bourbon in bars anyway, WT80 and Knob Creek are about the best it gets.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.